Keto Diet

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleFunk Man, Feb 9, 2019.

1. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Anyone doing the keto thing, low card, zero sugar, high fat, moderate protein ?

I've been on it since last August lost 50 lbs.

ifallalot and 2blue2 like this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

I don't do strict keto but I do low carb with very low to no sugar. I don't really keep up with fat or protein other than to try to keep a modest calorie intake. I was more strict with it to begin with and lost about 100 pounds in a little over a year. I've kept on it for the most part to maintain my weight within good numbers for my height and age.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm more neolithic than paleo.

String Tree likes this.
  4. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I just count calories, try to keep the carbohydrates and fats down and eat a good variety of lean meats, vegetables, fruits, and dairy.
    Down almost 30 pounds since early January.

5. TeleFunk Man

Wow 100 lbs? That is awesome. It really works.

Amazing how eating bacon & eggs, hamburgers (no bun), avocados etc..all foods that we were told are bad and cause weight gain actually do the opposite. High carbs and sugar are a silent killer.

We completely switched out our pantry no bread, wheat, no pasta, no rice, no starches. (potatoes) or high sugar fruits. We buy grass-fed butter, free range eggs, nitrate-free bacon, grass-fed beef, chicken. And wild caught salmon. We consume salads pretty well every day, with olive or avocado oil based vinaigrettes from Primal Kitchen.

farmcaster, G-52 and 2blue2 like this.
  6. TeleFunk Man

I tried that, but counting calories is a PITA and not sustainable over long term. This is why I prefer Keto, as long as you keep carbs to no more than 50 grams a day the weight falls off. Plus I can eat really satiating meals...so the trick is to eat high (healthy) fats which keeps you full until the next meal. Fats don't make you fat, carbs and sugars does as these foods spike insulin. Insulin is the hormone that stores fat. The standard American diet has caused an obesity epidemic since 70s, 1/3 of adults are pre-diabetic and don't even realize it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    farmcaster, Salsg and rickthescot like this.
  7. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Whatever works. I did the no carb thing a while back and it does work.

I am changing my eating habits drastically once I get down to around 175. I have to stop stuffing myself every time I eat.

G-52 and TeleFunk Man like this.
  8. TeleFunk Man

I was at 240 lbs (I'm 6') in August, down to 178 lbs now, hoping to get to 160l bs. I love being in ketosis, clear headed, more energy just overall feeling great. Pretty well every food is available in a keto friendly format, granted it's more work but once you get into the routine it's very manageable. My carb days are over.

geobookman and drewcp like this.
  9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Counting calories is the sugar industry way to get you to keep eating sugar....

Fat is a fuel, sugar is a fast energy hit. If refined sugar was a new product today it would be heavily regulated. Of course too much fat is bad for you, but sugar convinces the body to store any fat it's processing as glycogen, the predecessor to fat deposits.

That's why NutraSweet and similar products don't aid you really - the body percieves it as sugar (instant energy) and continues storing fat - depleting energy and making you even hungrier and likely to overeat.

TheGoodTexan and TeleFunk Man like this.
  10. TeleFunk Man

You're right about sugar. I avoid high sugar fruits on keto - everything is GMO'd nowadays. E.g., one average orange has 25 grams of sugar. Orange juice, forget about it, you may as well drink coke. The only fruits i eat on keto are berries, such as blackberries, blueberries as these are low G.I.

There are some really great keto friendly natural sweeteners. We make chocolate (pure organic) fat bombs with swerve. Eating healthy fats is fine. Since being on keto, I've had my HDL/LDL checked twice all within acceptable range.

11. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I don't eat a lot of sugar to begin with.

TeleFunk Man likes this.
  12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No - see, we are switching to more of a keto diet (previously known as Atkins) but the fruits ?

I won’t pay attention to demonizing oranges.

Once Im back on the bike it doesn’t matter anyway. I can offset an orange damn quick if I even worried about it.

TheGoodTexan and TeleFunk Man like this.
  13. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Meister

I follow the simple economics of caloric intake - if calories out > calories in, you will lose weight. I'm down 75 lbs since I started tracking in January of last year, with about 3 more to go before I'm done, and I eat Taco bell and other nonsense pretty regularly.

I've noticed that my sugar intake has gone down naturally since I no longer eat like 14 cookies at a time.

14. TeleFunk Man

The problem is, sugar is hidden in carbs. Fruit we consume today has much higher sugar content since its been GMO'd for commercial reasons. Banana has 40 grams of sugar, orange 25 grams. Apples, corn, carrots are all loaded with sugar, this spikes insulin when consumed. The only benefit in fruit is fibre but there are much better sources of fibre that don't contain sugar.

40 years ago sugar content in fruits and veggies was much lower.

15. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

My problem isn't sugar, it's the ridiculous amount of food I was eating. Plain and simple.

bgmacaw and TeleFunk Man like this.
  16. TeleFunk Man

Unfortunately for me (and a lot of people) sustaining the whole calorie counting thing and constant hunger with traditional diets does not work over long term. Also to note, modern science has now proven this, of the 3 food types we consume; carbs, protein and fats, fat calories and calories from protein do not spike insulin, but carbs do. It's the up and down of insulin spikes that causes weight gain.

17. TeleFunk Man

Yep, I hear ya. When we consume carbs the stomach does not tell the brain to stop eating until we are bloated. Do you ever feel tired after eating a high carb meal, rice, potatoes, etc..? Try eating a high (healthy) fat meal. The stomach will tell the brain when to stop and no feeling tired after...you're good to go until the next meal. I only eat twice a day (breakfast and supper).

18. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Meister

My doctor suggested keto 2 years ago. I've been on it since then and find it easy to manage. Makes me feel much better too. Besides, bourbon is keto friendly.

farmcaster, SAguitar, rz350 and 3 others like this.
  19. TeleFunk Man

Glad to hear. The medical industry is still not fully on board, could be they are in bed with the food industry. The American Diabetes org still recommends consuming highly refined carbs. The worst advice - eat several small meals per day. wrong, wrong, wrong..all that does it keep your insulin high cause your body to store fat.

No wonder there's an obesity epidemic in North America.

Salsg likes this.
  20. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

I did keto for a year, mainly for the improved cognitive performance and balanced energy levels throughout the day. It works! But it's hard to be in the wild (as in, walking around in normal life) and find meals that aren't loaded with sugar. It's all bread and variations on that theme. Gotta have some discipline and do some careful planning to maintain the diet.

rz350 and TeleFunk Man like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.