Keto, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Jun 22, 2018.

1. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

100% agree with that. You literally just run out of gas instead of feeling hungry. It's bizarre, but easy if you're adherent - a lot easier for me because of my proclivity for splurging. If other food didn't cause a sugar/insulin surge, I could do the one meal a day thing on any of it and get by fine.

The ups and downs due to that go away with keto.

Even for someone like me who tends to do the diet after a small gain rather than waiting for a big one, it's still easier.

tlp123 likes this.
  2. tlp123

tlp123 TDPRI Member

Yup, absolutely. I felt pretty crappy transitioning from glycogenic to ketogenic months ago.

3. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Add in a little exercise and you'd be surprised. A vigorous hour a day workout is good for close to a thousand calories. Allows me to have that beer or desert later and feel good about it!

I started tracking calories with an app. Two main things about doing this is 1) when you're watching yourself you tend to do better and 2) you start learning what foods make you feel good (and full) and learn to pass on some of the real high calorie foods that leave you feeling hungry.

One thing people often don't realize with some of these different diets is you're just losing water weight. Ergo, you have an initial weight loss; carbs retain water and going to a high protein diet you lose that water weight. It's not really the weight you want to lose.

4. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

keto for me (about 200 pounds - not to lose, total) usually results in a 5 pound drop in two days, and I figure 4 1/2 of it is water. I don't count that.

First week total is always about 8-10 pounds until I get used to eating fats (it takes a little while to develop some preference for very fatty foods, and you tend not to eat much for a little while. The insulin hunger from carbs goes away in a day, so that part's not a problem).

personally, if anyone considers someone else's diet a fat and not theirs, I'd say, do whatever you want.

My doc personally thinks that nobody should do anything other than portion control (no modification of anything, just less). I think that's idealistic, but of course it would work if people were adherent.

The P/A in his office thinks people shouldn't eat sugar on top of that (the doc doesn't care about the sugar).

Go to a differnet office and you might get a vegan adherent doctor.

Any of them work. I feel terrible eating vegan or any kind of vetegarian without fish and eggs. I feel great on keto. One of the big things in life is when something works, you do it. If it works every time, you repeat it without questioning whether or not it's working based on someone else's opinion.

(keto also substantially drops my blood pressure within a week. I've never been on it long enough to do lipids and get a reliable result, so no clue there, but no heart attack yet).

5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm the only man in an office with about 20 women (it's neither as great as it may sound nor as bad as it may sound), and at least half of them have been on a keto-type diet or something similar for a few weeks to a few months. Every one of them seems to find it easy enough to live by after a week or so of adjustment, and one of them is almost literally half the woman I used to know.

getbent likes this.
  6. tlp123

tlp123 TDPRI Member

Agreed!!!

Perhaps like you, I take my time, do my own research, make up my mind to do what works for me. We're all alike, yet all so different. Can't imagine how boring life would be any other way.

7. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

Alcohol had the opposite effect on me in a way...Before I quit booze cold turkey six years ago, I hadn't been at such a good weight in years. Possibly because I could go a couple of days subsisting just on bourbon...Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I discovered that my blood pressure had soared so high that my doctor insisted I come in to see him immediately. That and an ultimatum from my woman friend led to the no-booze decision. Now all my blood numbers are great, but I weigh 40 lbs. more than in 2012...No liquor, no drugs, no tobacco, no ganja...nothing to alter the mood but food. Once an addict.....

8. tlp123

tlp123 TDPRI Member

Still doing keto.....feeling great!

Been 1 yr & 1 mo.

Down 187 from 250 at the start.

Within 17 of my target of 170.

bender66, getbent and rcole_sooner like this.
  9. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Awesome job!

tlp123 likes this.
  10. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

If you want the low down on the why and the how get this book. Just highlight and search the following.
    The Obesity Code by Jason Fung MD

He explains why obesity has exploded over the last few decades and puts a lot of myths to rest. And believe me there are a lot of myths.. Very easy to follow and understand. You will learn a lot ..

tlp123 likes this.
  11. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

You are believing in several weight loss myths.. Get this book and learn the truth ...
    The Obesity Code
    by Jason Fung MD

12. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

And the ketone got reduced to an alcohol

13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't know if it qualifies as Keto, but I just don't do the heavy carbs and refined sugar. I've gone sugar and heavy carb free before and if I start getting off of it I just don't feel good. Everything from energy to bowel function just works better for me without massive carbs and sugar.

getbent and bender66 like this.
  14. tlp123

tlp123 TDPRI Member

If for no other reasons, I will keep eating no/low-carb......

My energy level is more stable than it has been in years. Can't remember when I felt this good. My mind is also clearer.

I look at it as a life style change for the better in my case. There is an extremely small amount of carbs that that creep into what I eat. No where close to what I used to consume over a year ago.

I just don't ever get as hungry either, so I just don't eat as much. Haven't needed to count calories. I just limit carbs.

As far as physical activity, I'm just plain more active without the excess weight. I'm on my feet all day long at work. I used to come home exhausted. I never feel that way now. Example....last week, I worked M-F 13hrs everyday. That Friday, I came home and immediately mowed the front and back yards with a push-mower, edged, weed-eated, ran the blower, changed the oil in my truck, vacuumed the house, cleaned both bathrooms, and grilled some ribeyes. All with no breaks in between tasks. Sure I was tired, but not exhausted like I would have been at 250lbs a year before. That's even if I tried that a year before. I could not used to mow both front and back yards with out several breaks in between.

I recently had blood work done, and everything was normal. My regular GP was really happy with my annual check up. BP fell to 120/51. He asked me what I had done to lose the weight and also have such good numbers on the blood test. When I told him I cut out just about all the carbs I had been eating before, he got silent. I did not ask him why, since I already knew he was not a fan of the keto type diet.

The previous annual check up, when I was at 250lbs, he wanted to put me on Zocor (a statin) and Metoprolol for HBP, as it was 147/92. I told him no, I will lose weight first. I was also pre type B diabetic. A1C fell to 3.96. It was at 6.3 a year before.

I'm sure keto will not work for everyone for any number of reasons.

I'm just very fortunate it has worked for me so far (13mo).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    william tele likes this.
  15. tlp123

tlp123 TDPRI Member

Yes, I have read that book. So much of it lines up with a lot of the studying I have done on my own over the past couple of years.

I was still very skeptical before starting keto over a year ago.

16. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Same. I got into the habit of late night snacking too. The sugar is always available at work. So much so that I had to do something. Started getting more protein into my meals rather than carbs. When did I become so lazy?

Hell, I never knew what keto was.

william tele likes this.
  17. DekeDog

DekeDog TDPRI Member

I have a 70 year old friend whose A1C was around 12, and though he was somewhat overweight, he was by no means "obese." He now fasts from dinner on Sunday night thru noon on Tuesday. Other than that , he has reduced his portions, improved his diet (avoiding sugar, bread, and fried foods), and drinks several beers one night a week. Otherwise, he still eats pretty much what he wants. He rides a bicycle about a mile to and from work, three days a week, and works his garden. He thinks the ketosis is greatest on Tuesday morning, and is responsible for most of his improvement.

He started this regimen about nine months ago. He has lost around 25 pounds and his A1C is 5.3. His doctor is stupefied.

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

for me, years of lots of stress and pressure and lots of time on the road and in front of a computer, coupled with a childhood where food was not always assured (at least not as much as we wanted)... I got some bad habits... sports and massive amounts of activity and being a skinny kid trying to get big... all led to food as reward and coveting things like ice cream etc... I would have a giant soda with me while I worked or drove....

It takes a lot to unravel all that.... the thing for me... when carbs and sugar are out of the equation, I feel better LOTS better physically and mentally... the addiction might as well be heroin... because all the lies addicts tell themselves exist (oh, just a piece of pie, oh one hamburger bun blah blah)

There is no 'proof' and so I won't advocate or tell anyone what they should do, but, for me, not eating sugar and carbs is the right thing for me...

rcole_sooner and william tele like this.
  19. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone TDPRI Member

On near-zero carbohydrate and daily intermittent fasting (eating one or two meals between 1 and 6) I'm only hungry just before eating instead of constantly, and it isn't that sharp-pointed, desperate feeling either.

My grocery shopping list is 5% of what it used to be and adds up to less total. My cooking and eating routine is about 80% simplified too. It's extremely convenient.

Unfortunately for my "friends" I never even try to talk about it anymore. Thank you for the thread.

20. tlp123

tlp123 TDPRI Member

Close to the same here.

When people ask how I lost all the weight, they don't like the answer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.