Keto, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Jun 22, 2018.

1. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I have some friends that have done Keto. I got too fat last year and at the beginning of this year started losing weight.

I do the treadmill 3x - 5x a week and have a couple hard boiled eggs and almonds or ezekial bread with real peanut butter for breakfast along with a glass of carrot juice and a glass of orange juice, grilled chicken with green veggies for lunch and something small for dinner with fruit and veggies for snacks. I drink a lot of water as well.

For me, I can't do diets. I just do healthy eating (try to not eat anything packaged) and moderate exercise. I lost 40lbs between Jan - May and my BP is 114/74.

The trick (IMHO) is to find food you like to eat that's good for you. On the weekend I eat whatever I want but since I'm back in the gym on Monday I'm a lot more sensible.

Good luck!

2. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger Tele-Meister

I didnt need to lose weight (thought keto will shed excess body fat for those with that issue). For me it's part of a healthy lifestyle NOT a "diet". Just imagine how it would feel to be energetic, never "hangry", slim, healthy, etc JUST from cutting sugar/bread/starch (while eating all the foods you already eat and love)

IE:
    >Steak dinner: forget the bread, have veggis instead of potato, scotch instead of beer.

>Cheese burger lunch: lettuce wrap instead of a bun, side salad instead of fries, water instead of soda

It's that flipping easy. If you feel crruddy currently (most likely metabolic syndrome) and/or are pre-diabetic/currently tybe 2 diabetic your mind will really be blown if you had a chance to feel what "good" really feels like. It's free. you have to buy nothing but healthy real food. All the information is on the internet on multiple sites.

getbent likes this.
  3. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Paleo

4. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

5. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Holic

Not really keto, but, booze notwithstanding, I don't eat ingest a lot of high-glycemic carbs, and haven't for a long while.

I started *really* cutting them out last year, and though I'm sure not on any "paleo" diet, I dropped 45 lbs (from 208 @ 5'10") in about six months last year, all from paying attention to breads/starches a bit, but more than anything, minding my portions.

Any diet that advocates complete elimination of any macronutrient (protein, carb, fat) for an extended period is doomed to fail imho.

6. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister

I'm on the road, Odessa on the Black Sea (Ukraine). Got here from Moscow and Minsk and had something I seldom get: Montezuma's (Stalin's?) Revenge. I think it wasn't food related; singer had it last week. Explosive; cleaned me out. It isn't over; I haven't really eaten in three days. (But, I played the show.))
    And oddly, though I felt terrible the first day, right now I feel pretty good. I'm sure I lost weight (somewhat skinny anyway, at least most of my life...) and I feel a little light-headed, but it's kind of alright.
    So I find this thread - and diet - particularly interesting right now: lots of good insights. Thanks to everyone.
    My 89-year-old diabetic uncle actually went off insulin after a year on a Swedish high fat diet (which I believe is basically ketotonic).
    I could definitely see eating less, or in a way that cut out sugars and their grain-based delivery systems, anyway.
    (I'd really miss beer, though...))

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

idea for tshirt

'I'm Ketotonic'

and maybe on the back 'smell my pee'

micpoc likes this.
  8. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

9. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

10. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

One has to take those studies with a grain of salts, the pros and the cons.
    There are lots of contradictory studies on just about everything. Just putting that out there for interested parties

DrPepper likes this.
  11. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

I'm obese and diabetic. There are five things that will kill me before the oxidative stress of a low-carb diet. In the meantime, I'm down 16 pounds from May, and my A1C is down 0.9 points. For me, the key will be following a high-fat low-carb diet (100g protein and 20g carb daily) and throwing in a variety of multi-day fasts (see Dr. Jason Fung). I did a 72-hour fast this week with surprisingly little trouble. Once I get my problems sorted out, I'll need to define a maintenance plan.

With all these things, it's always a cost vs. benefit decision that will look different for different people.

DrPepper likes this.
  12. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Keep up the good work... I'm right there with you, medical issues will kill me before the diet will... I'm down 50 lbs since the 4th of June, this year.

I started with the boiled egg diet, then morphed that into keto, then added in select carbs. And, I do intermittent fasting. Mostly 23/1.

FerruleCat likes this.
  13. a_pidgeon

a_pidgeon Tele-Meister

1534700128365.jpg

Before and after. Before was about two months before I started Keto, after is about 300 days in. Down 96 pounds and feeling incredible. I'm starting to work some carbs back in and move towards a more balanced and less aggressive nutrition plan, but I'll never go back to the way I was eating before.

14. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Ketotonic urea nuts and saddles?

getbent likes this.
  15. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

No latency!

16. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Those glasses make you look much thinner. :D

a_pidgeon likes this.
  17. tlp123

tlp123 Tele-Meister

That's fantastic!! No doubt you're feeling better!

I'm 190 days in, and down 40lbs from 250lbs. My goal is 170lbs and plan to reach it slowly. Per my height and frame, 170-180lbs is my ideal weight. Last time I weighed that was 1992.

I'm astonished how much better I feel at just 210lbs.

So far keto has worked better, and more comfortably for me than anything else I've tried. What really surprises me is no stomach gnawing cravings for carbs in general. I no longer need anything for acid reflux. Blood pressure is down from 159/70 to 123/65.

Hope all on keto here doing well!

18. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

If you try to do a keto-ish diet and eat 100 grams of carbs, or do pure keto with the same number of calories, the weight loss may be the same, but the way you'll feel without ketone production is vastly different. Not for the better.

I guess portion control is a fad, too. The nice thing about ketogenic information is the fad started somewhere around the 1920s since it's proven to lower seizure risk. I've only ever had one seizure, and it's not something the diet would have affected, but I do like seeing the long pool of data (and the lack of the scary stories about the huge trail of people who had heart attacks due to too much fat - because there isn't any such trail).

19. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I'm about to start a shift - hope others are doing well with this.

I don't use keto for anything drastic, just to knock of 15 or 20 pounds each year over a couple of months.

I've heard from gaggles of people that this is horribly unhealthy compared to maintaining a specific weight......

.......except studies with rats showing varying rates of consumption with intermittent fasting intertwined show an increased life expectancy for the fasting rats vs. the non-fasting rats.

tlp123 likes this.
  20. tlp123

tlp123 Tele-Meister

I found this true for my situation exactly!!

I have found for my personal situation, the problem was more of WHAT I ate & drank. After consciously cutting out most carbs, and transitioning into ketosis, I just don't get as hungry, or eat as much as before when I do eat. Also, if I get busy with work and miss a normal meal, it doesn't bother me to the point I have to stop.

Fenderslinger and D_W_PGH like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.