Keto, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Jun 22, 2018.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Seriously about to join you...doing that ain't cool

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I just put myself on my ignore list and

Harry Styron, soulgeezer and drf64 like this.
  3. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

My dietician is through Kaiser and they did not even charge me a co-pay to visit her. I guess their financial motivation is to keep me alive longer so I can keep going to regular doctor visits. My doctor had suggested I shoot for a 1200 calorie a day diet. The dietician scoffed and said, "I'd recommend that for a 90 year old woman!" She said I should be able to lose weight on 2000 cals a day with moderate exercise. Got some checklists and behavioral suggestions. Like "quit stuffing everything you see into your gapin' yaw".

That's a relief because I'd been checking out the 1200 cals a day diets, and for some reason the kidney beans look REALLY BIG in the photos.

She also said there was some research to support the idea of only eating during 8 hours of the day, and the benefit happens even if you do it only 3 days a week.

She also said that leftover potatoes, pasta and rice were better than fresh cooked as the starches undergo some transformation after cooking which takes awhile. Trying to cross reference that one still - ok it's called "resistant starch".

Well, wish me luck, I'm gonna give it a shot.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  4. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

This has worked for me. Cutting out beer was big for me too. Walking the dog 5 days a week has helped as well. I went from 290 to 240 in about 18 months. I feel so much better. I'm in better shape now then my neighbor who is 20 years younger. We train martial arts together and he gasses out way before me.:D

5. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Good luck and thanks for the heads up on resistant starches.

BTW, I can gain weight on 1200 calories per day if I am not careful.

Digital Larry likes this.
  6. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

I went from 228 to 176 in 5 months by going to two meals a day. Dinner at 6 or 7. Lunch at noon. Cut out most bread. Keep nothing in the house that doesn't require making the effort to cook. No snacks such as chips. My laziness outweighs my hunger. I drink all the beer I want. Still 176. Going on two years, now.

DrPepper and Digital Larry like this.
  7. tlp123

tlp123 Tele-Meister

Besides the weight loss and just plain feeling much better, I never get ravenously, uncomfortably, hungry. And, when I do eat, I don't have the tendency to stuff myself.

I sleep better.

My moods are much more even, even in stressful environment.

I'm thinking clearer.

I spent quite a while studying as much as I cared to about ketosis, and the ketogenic way of eating. I've experimented with what seems to be working for me. I cut out most carbs except what occurs in things like almonds, tomatoes, onions.

Eating avacodos, bacon, hard cheeses, tuna, sardines, salmon, ribeye's, bacon, boiled eggs. At lease one big salad with vinegar & olive oil a week.

I splurge once a week, or less on a triple meat Whataburger (the bread is bad I know) with cheese.

But, no grains, starchy vegetables, processed or unprocessed sugars, pastas etc...etc...cutting out all the carbs I know about.

Felt a little weird the first week as my metabolic state transitioned to ketosis.

But right at 3 months, I've lost 32 lbs. As long as I continue to feel good, my plans are to stick with my current eating.

And astonishingly to me, I do not crave carbs.

I know the keto thing does not work for everyone, but so far so good for me.

MarkA and DrPepper like this.
  8. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I warned you in post #2. Looks like you've stuck to your guns. Good man.

DrPepper likes this.
  9. Salsg

Salsg Tele-Meister

Drpepper, keep doing what you're doing. Don't let ignorant people tell you otherwise , and unfortunately that includes doctors.

tlp123 and DrPepper like this.
  10. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, I figured as so when I had my stroke a few years ago... The Dr said my condition would improve in 3 days, or, not improve.

Hey, I'm down 75 lbs since Feb 2017, my goal weight is 145. I am bound and determined to get there.

BTW, I have learned how to swallow, walk (with a walker) and play guitar again... I'll make it.

Anode100, po-boy, Salsg and 2 others like this.
  11. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

In the context of the OP's post. That would be on topic. But you can stretch most responses to any topic to absurd levels like that if you want. Have fun.

12. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

completely in context, on topic, and not at all absurd. I gave an example of a people who eat a very limited, high fat diet and yet it's a cultural norm. Same with the Inuits. My point is that human metabolism is remarkable, highly adaptable, and highly evolved. It would be bad to be a ravenous carnivore in a society that is really good at gathering but not hunting. It would be bad to be vegan if one were born into the Sioux Nation prior to 1875. Historically diet was dictated by what was available, not what one desired. Right now an embarrassing abundance of everything is a first world problem. Only with such surplus does the concept of a "balanced diet" exist. For most of human history this was not possible. But people can still survive and even thrive on a very few sources of energy and nutrition.

kLyon, Sollipsist and DrPepper like this.
  13. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Double Platinum Supporter

I've had a very similar experience. When I turned 50 my metabolism changed a lot and I started putting on weight and feeling like crap. Tried several diets, most were low-carb (South Beach, Adkins, Dash, etc.) Lost a little weight at first but then gained it back plus more.

Tried Keto on March 1st and have lost 35lbs since. Looking to lose a few more but, like you, I sleep better, have more energy, and never have physical cravings for any food (occasionally have a psychological craving for ice cream).

There is nothing that works perfectly for everyone. but Keto definitely has worked for me.

Salsg, MarkA and DrPepper like this.
  14. tlp123

tlp123 Tele-Meister

Yes....absolutely. Over all, just the fact I feel so much better is most of my motivation. I also started walking again every day. At least 3 miles, most of the time more.

Also, I just don't get as hungry as I used to. Ever.

I'm going to go another couple of months, and then get some blood work.

I'm at 218lbs, down from 250lbs 3 months ago.

My goal is 170, which is ideal for my height 69in.

getbent, MarkA and DrPepper like this.
  15. MarkA

MarkA TDPRI Member

I did keto diet for 2 months while training for a jiu jitsu tournament... started at 235lbs, anfter 2 months I was down to 200 and felt fantastic!

The I took a couple months off of keto, but really just added fruit back into my diet, enjoyed beer on weekends and made no effort to get in ketosis, daily cheesecake, strudels... whatever I wanted but no rice, grains, pasta or potatoes. After 2 months I am still spot on 200 and still feel great, this is interesting... the wife exp was the same, her weight went from 140 down to 118, we eat about the same and her weight is also stable.

Now we have another BJJ competition coming up in late October and I’m hoping to get down to 185, so now back into ketosis and let’s see how it goes! I was super sceptical, but nothing but positive results, even had some strange lifelong conditions clear up, wild.

41 years old, lost a lot of belly fat, increased stamina... nothing but positive results here.

getbent likes this.
  16. tlp123

tlp123 Tele-Meister

Very encouraging....thanks for posting.

17. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Keto is working very well for my wife. She swears by it, and the results are obvious.

I dropped about 30lbs a few years back just by getting rid of carbs for a few months. Kept it off for another few years even after going back to the beloved beer, pizza, and nachos.

Unfortunately I was far too sexy at my target weight; I couldn't get anything done with the constant distraction of drooling admirers everywhere I went. I slowly came to realize that it wasn't fair to all you other gentlemen.

You'll be happy to know that I'm back to being normally unappealing, and please accept my apologies for the utter lack of female interest you all experienced from 2011-2016.

faulp, imwjl and MarkA like this.
  18. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Atkins

19. Mickey

Mickey Tele-Holic

Look up insulin resistance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_resistance

About 1/3 of the American population, those with metabolic syndrome, have this.

It means for these people, if the calories they take in come from carbohydrates, they can't burn more than they take in. Their insulin isn't sensitive to those carbohydrates. It doesn't process them well for energy needs. Instead, the body just churns those carbohydrate calories into more glucose and more body fat without using these for energy.

this is why high body weight and high blood sugar so often go hand in hand.

Feel hungry an hour after Chinese food? This is the phenomenon exactly. Too much lo mein and rice. The body just takes these carbs and throws them into too much blood sugar and eventually into your belly line, and then an hour later you are hungry, looking for a new energy source.

But if you are producing ketones (fats) instead of glucose for energy, this cycle is avoided. And many people find it more satiating with less calories.

For insulin resistant people (not everyone, but about 1/3 of the population) consuming dietary fat as the source of calories is simply more efficient. Because Insulin is not really a part of the processing of dietary fat, a low carbohydrate diet takes insulin out of the equation. It allows those with insulin resistance to process their food most efficiently.

For those interested in the science of this, here is the best readable book on the subject, by Dr. Jeff Volek. I think he's at Ohio State. A true hero of 21st century medicine. The first chapter is indeed about the Inuit. Go Inuit!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0983490708/?tag=tdpri-20

For athletes, check out Volek's more recent work on low-carbohydrate performance. No more carb loading. Accessing the body's resource of fat energy instead.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0983490716/?tag=tdpri-20

I've been ketogenic for three years and am never going back. Didn't get into it for body fat but to control pre-diabetes that my doctors said could only be controlled by meds, if then. That was totally untrue. I got a glucose monitor (also checked ketones to assure that I was indeed ketogenic) and watched the transformation myself. It took about a month to dial it all in. Ended up dropping 20 lbs of body fat incidentally, not even by trying. Went from 23% body fat down to 18% which is where I am now, not even by trying. No hunger. No "dieting" in the restrictive sense of the word. Just eating enough fats and losing the carbs.

As others have said, you can actually feel the body processing food differently.

For about 1/3 of our population with insulin resistance, substituting dietary fats for carbohydrates is simply more efficient, more satiating, and ultimately allows the body to take in fewer total calories to meet its energy needs.

There are essential proteins.
    There are essential fats.
    There are no essential carbohydrates.

Bonus: alcohol is its own macronutrient category, and doesn't affect blood sugar. Drink all the scotch you want. Even have your wine, it's fairly low carb. But temper the beer.

Good luck out there. Long live TDPRI, best hang on the net.

20. tlp123

tlp123 Tele-Meister

Thank you for all of that.

Over a period of several months, taking my time at it, my personal research revealed more or less what you state.

My personal results from going Keto is all the rest of the convincing I needed, and my motivation going forward to stay with it indefinitely.

However, I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone, for whatever reasons.

Thanks again for your post! Good stuff!

DrPepper and MarkA like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.