Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Kent Armstrong Stealth 90s

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by bigben55, Nov 27, 2018.

1. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I just rewired a G&L Tribute ASAT Junior II with these. I used a Switchcraft switch and jack, .022 orange drop cap, and CTS 500K vol and 250K tone pots, per their recommendations. For a total of $485($310 for the guitar, 175 for pickups and parts) I'm very happy with it! I tried to research these pickups beforehand; not much info out there really. Heres my thoughts:
    -they are very noiseless. As much so as humbuckers(which they are). As in, Fulldrive 2 on compcut, od cranked AND boost engaged=still usable. That's a first for me.
    -they are not high output pickups, regardless of having high DC resistance numbers. Maybe 5% hotter than my other tele with Fralin Blues Specials, which are 5% hotter than standard tele pickups. Just dont expect them to say overdrive your amp.
    -they are very good sounding pickups! The neck is thick but not muddy. Bright and articulate enough, but girthy. The bridge is fairly bright, though not twangy at all. The mahogany/rosewood/tunomatic-stop tail guitar probably prevents twang, period. It's got a good "Kerrang!" with hard strummed chords and is also articulate with single notes.
    -I paid $100 for the set. Fralins would have been $275. I'm sure they're better. I love Fralin. But they can't be $175 better than these. 1543346157529.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    lineboat, Teleterr and radiocaster like this.
  2. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    So you think if I put one in the bridge position of a guitar with a PAF style humbucker in the neck, the humbucker will overpower it?

3. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Depends on the humbucker in the neck and pickup heights, but yeah probably.

4. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Played this new guitar at a local blues jam last night. Its hosted by a pro player who I'm friends with, who's a tried and true Gibson/Marshall guy, so I had him listen to it thru his amp. Plugged it into a custom build 22 watt 6V6 head voiced after a 100 watt Plexi, cranked, channels bridged. It rocked, was noiseless and while he said it didnt sound EXACTLY like Gibson P90s, it was darn close, which is good enough for me. He has a LP Jr with a Fralin noiseless dog ear P90 and said mine is 90% there. For the money, I'll wholeheartedly endorse these pickups.

5. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Over a week in and a bunch of hours of playtime, heres my most recent feedback.(I realize these arent super popular pickups that not tons of folks will end up with, but posting for the public research record).

I'm gonna add a treble bleed to the vol pot. I feel gtr vol down robs too much treble, especially from the neck pickup. Again, I'd prefer these be higher output, to drive a cranked amp harder, but they're very touch sensitive. Very. Clean up is as much affected by pick attack as gtr vol manipulation. That's a good thing. If you have an amp at the edge of breakup, these arent much better at pushing it over the edge than regular tele pickups. But pick attack yields better control. While not hotter, they're definitely fatter and sustain more. And with the old Fulldrive 2 set conservatively on comp cut and the amp at the edge of breakup, they're fantastic.

6. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    That's a really good-looking guitar. I like the look of the tune-o-matic bridge on that mahogany body. If it sounds great, too, you have a real winner there.

bigben55 likes this.
  7. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    It's like the "Gibson" for the tele player who cant get along with humbuckers! I dig the Tone Pros bridge and tailpiece a lot.

8. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    And....I'm done with them. I just want getting the level of output 8 was hoping for. Put the G&L stock P90s back in and boom, much more output. They buzz, and the neck is a little dull(possibly due to the 250k tone pot, I'll change that), so now I guess I'll start saving for a $290 set of Fralin Hum cancelling P90s.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.