Ken Burns: Country Music

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Hatfield92, May 16, 2019.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Burns sure has a way with communicating to people. And he puts in the long, hard work on these stories. I don't see how anyone gets off taking pot shots at him because he's uncovered something you don't care to deal with. If you think you can tell these stories better than he can, well, where's the documentary you're working on?

dkmw and Hatfield92 like this.
  2. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Since the end of the Cold War there's been a tremendous amount of fresh scholarship on matters Viet Nam, including material based on official records from former communist countries. And a lot of it runs counter to the tired stereotypes and conventional 'knowledge' which made up the greater part of Burns' show. His approach may make for compelling television, but he missed a glorious chance to present a balanced overview of the conflict, one sympathetic both to the participants and the facts.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

My sense is, there's a universe of things that went on over there, at the time and we'll see in time, things in perhaps a different light. But the presentation of facts is not inaccurate. It it isn't inaccurate, misinformed or biased.

You're entitled to your perception of what went on. And I have my own ideas, not presented in Burns' work. Such as, while it was not the USA stated objective in French Indochina to out-resource the Reds (collectively) to the point of their collapse, enormous progress was made towards this greater end - all through this time. That's right, the Berlin Wall doesn't fall without the Soviets, for example, trying too hard to stay up with the economic and military prowess of the USA from 1958-1975. Because in the bigger picture, the takeaway for the Soviets was not the success of Hanoi, but the massive disruptive power of the USA war machine which was driven by a truly monstrous economy. Something I sure did not see as very important in 1971. But does Ken Burns talk about this? No. And guess what? That's OK.

These are not binary choices.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Hatfield92 likes this.
  4. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I personally think that it is one of his best. The thing i like about KB is he presents all
    sides equally, unlike " documentarians " like Alex Gibney who most obviously has an
    agenda to push. :cool:

Hatfield92 likes this.
  5. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Cool, I can't wait for him to neuter another genre into something as bland as possible. Ten dollars that he finds a way to spend a full hour on Benny Goodman in this one too.

6. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

The careful selection of some facts to the exclusion of others, especially when presented in service to an agenda, can be very inaccurate and biased.

Seeing things in a different light - absolutely. That's my whole point. But we don't need to wait. Viet Nam war research, analysis and re-evaluation have been powering along for decades. Burns could have drawn on that much more extensively.

But he chose not to. Instead, he created a needless docu-drama that's mentally stuck in 1969. Light on serious analysis, heavy on emotional soap opera stuff and outdated stereotypes.

It would be easy for people unfamiliar with the topic to walk away from the end of the series knowing less than when they first began watching it.

Perhaps I was foolish to expect better, but I did.

7. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

Thank goodness for the ignore feature.

8. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

I look forward to this one even though I didn't care for the jazz doc. Little too much focus on Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  9. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

So many promising trailers for shows coming on cable.
    Have to get a bigger DVR.

Hatfield92 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.