Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Kemper.... Anyone tried one?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by WhiskeyRebellio, May 23, 2017.

1. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    This.... exactly! I setup my HD500 to mimic my amp and pedal board for live use! We don't use in-ears, but as long as I have my own monitor mix and a nice wedge I'm good to go just as I would be with my pedal board and amp.

FWIW... before the HD500 I used an X3, before that I used a Sans Amp... I've been going direct (as well as using traditional amps) since the early 90's... I'm very comfortable with any style of setup.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Ron R likes this.

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Do you gig it?
    What's a Helix?
    Sorry...tweed player, here ;)

3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I sometimes play with a guy who uses this little red POD thing.
    He says its a POD 2.
    The 1 wasn't too good and the "improved" 3 was a disaster, but he loves the 2.
    Whatever the deal, he travels light and sounds great.

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I officially retired from playing out twenty years ago, so it's never been used in that capacity. There are plenty of upper-level players using them live, though. The Helix is Line 6's latest modeler, and it's really good as well.

5. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Headrush is finally starting to hit Guitar Center can't wait to get my hands (feet?) on it!

6. Bart Dietvorst

Bart Dietvorst TDPRI Member

May 1, 2017
    the Netherlands
    I love mine, pared with good profiles (MBritt is the best imo) it is unbeatable. Here's a teleclip with mine (bass, pedalsteel and acoustic guitar are also recorded with the Kemper):

JJAdams1956 and drew1d like this.

7. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    I played a kemper with M Britt profiles - it had a divided by 13 profile that was as close as you would need to my actual divided by 13 amp

However I went with the Helix on the basis of routing options, which are stunning

I have my tube amps and pedals which are 'better' for home

last night I played with my helix modelling a deluxe with a Klon and delay and trem into tech 21 power station with another route to Klon into my fender Princeton 68 - ie modelled v the 'real thing' - in rehearsal it just sounded superb with neither side better just great sound

I use the helix in another band set up - we are going bass/guitar/guitar/keys into one helix with their own effects route into PA, everyone loves it - easy set up - delays/trems in time with each other - its a revelation to be honest

8. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Kemper plus FRFR out of my budget.

9. ahmetomer

ahmetomer TDPRI Member

Jul 9, 2017
    tr
    If i had funds I would get a kemper rack and pedal board and a nice monitor to use live etc...

And never bother analog amps. Yes i love tubes but way expensive way heavy and harder to record at home(low volume tone)...

10. msmith886

msmith886 TDPRI Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Alabama
    I went with the Fractal AX8 over the Kemper and love it. Highly recommend checking out Fractal Axe Effects. I've been able to get some great tones out it for sure. Keith Urban uses one.

11. JTStivers

JTStivers TDPRI Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Topsham, Maine
    I have used a Kemper rackmount for a couple of years and have always thought it sounded and felt great. I'm used to studio recording, so the experience of monitoring myself during gigs (clubs, etc) with a processed sound is familiar. In terms of tone and volume, the Kemper is so easy to control, whereas with my analog rig (now a Redplate CDS-3) the tone/volume variables are harder for me to control and have a consistently good sounding output. I think the Kemper patches sound amazing (M Brit, etc.). Every once in awhile, I gig with the Redplate, and it sounds great at times, but the sweet spot seems to change a lot and is inconsistent. Not the Redplate's fault, BTW...I have always struggled to "play the amp." I think if I played in a band that had a more uniform genre identity (blues, or southern rock, or funk. . . .) I'd probably use the Redplate more often, as the woolliness of a cooking tube amp is part of the charm. But my gigs always span lots of genres. If I were badder-assed, the Redplate would do it, but alas! And at 60, I want to concentrate on the music. So the Kemper works for me.

I run my kemper through a QSC 10" FRFR pointing up at me in the usual monitor fashion. Occasionally I backline it, but I prefer it monitor style. Sound guys love it. I also have the proprietary remote, and I appreciate how well it integrates with the profiler. I do not profile my own amps--my profiler is already loaded with good tones that work for me. I particularly like the Matchless, Marshall, and Dumble profiles along with assorted clean-oriented patches.

My only struggle with the Kemper is setting up the effects on the remote in performance mode so that the number and sequence of effects is ideal for me. I find it much easier to use external pedals to get effects, but I'm trying to remain self-contained, since the kemper has everything I need (not as fancy an effects or routing engine as AXE, but I don't need that level of sophistication). I am trying to use the same effects on all of my performance slots in locked mode because I can't remember or manage different effects schemes for different amps, but that prevents me from having it perfectly functional in terms of my needs and limitations. Two more effects slots would do it! I may eventually go to a dedicated effects unit. That would suck in terms of set-up ease.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.