Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Kemper and G.A.S.

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Mike_LA, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Well, the Captain and Chappers did 2 very convincing demos of the Kemper modeler.

Which excited a massive case of Kemper G.A.S

Which caused me to start selling off gear to finance such a large piece of gear.

As I was setting stuff up to demo for sale I started playing with the 3 small combo amps that I am selling.

Humm I can get a clean and dirty out of each of them that I could be happy with if I was playing with a couple of other guys.

HUMmmmmm, I don't really need all that fine of a tone or 55 different amps at my finger tips.

Going to take the $ from all of the sales and get another guitar and maybe a lesson or two . . . . .

Tobias, troy2003, brogh and 2 others like this.

2. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    Your self restraint and common sense is admirable...

CP.

jjtanis, Mike_LA and chemobrainkid like this.

3. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Well, I must say that the possibilities with this piece are practically endless, i would love to playaroud with it for a while but personally i really don't invest that much in electronics anymore, just simple stuff, but i stay away from high priced electronics because in a really "short" time they become obsolete.

I agree that a guitar & lessons are a better investment to my eyes.

cheers

Mike_LA likes this.

4. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Amazing when we give the gear we have a chance that many times we don't realize how good we have it! Congrats on a sound decision. Wise IMO too.

5. chemobrainkid

chemobrainkid Tele-Meister

Sep 2, 2016
    S.F. East Bay
    ah, when ou act in a manner knowingly or unknowingly supports my beliefs or opinions you are deemed to be among the righteous. You are being reasonable.

what tools a crafts person uses interests me not in the least, if from the audience it sounds like a duck, quacks like a duck , possible walking or waddling like a duck, .... it's a duck.
    form following function

6. timspong

timspong Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2004
    Ashburn, Virginia
    I would agree only I have to play on a silent stage so amps are not an option for me :(. Kemper gas has been biting me for a while. I wish someone would come out with a simpler box that gives a couple of great profiles for a fraction of the price as I don't need much, I am just missing the great tone of a tube amp.

7. Brian Dress

Brian Dress Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    Anaheim
    Get the Amplifire pedal!

8. timspong

timspong Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2004
    Ashburn, Virginia
    As a matter of fact I was just looking at that pedal. Great minds and all that lol!

9. Brian Dress

Brian Dress Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    Anaheim
    im thinking of one. I have a mustang iii but am looking to maybe get some better modeling technology.

10. toddfan

toddfan Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2010
    USA, Midwest
    I got one....and I am happy I did!

11. stratology

stratology Tele-Meister

Feb 12, 2007
    Ireland
    Got mine over half a year ago, best amp I ever owned.

12. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I agree that the modeling amps are especially tempting if you want a wide palette of sounds. If you're like me and just want about three basic tones-- clean, little bit dirty, a lot dirty, then a basic tube amp and a few pedals is a pretty strong option. Especially if you don't like doing deep dives into complicated menus.

13. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Three times now I've had a guy on stage with me that couldn't get his toaster squared away. Ten minutes of dinkin around while people fidget. Once I just had to play 3 songs solo for filler to keep people from leaving. If you drag a Kemper onstage with me, you better know how to use it and be ready to go. It was tempting to just kick the thing over the edge.

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I've seen people futz around with amps and pedals for just as long. It ain't the gear, it's the lack of knowing how to quickly get what you want out of it.

stratology likes this.

15. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Yeah, I know. One guy (literally a dentist), nice guy too, has a room stuffed full of vintage amps. I made him bring a black deluxe instead. We had probably his best set at a mic night. Several friends commented to him about doing and sounding better. Next week he grabbed the wrong deluxe and still did fine. Then he couldn't stand it and brought the toaster. That's the time I watched him fiddle and fart again and I had to take off playing without him. When he finally got going, he sucked.

16. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Melbourne, Austraila
    I'm really happy with my current gear, but after watching the first of those demos a few weeks ago, I didn't get GAS exactly, but just a mental note that if I ever decide to buy the Last-Amp-That-I-Will-Ever-Need (again :rolleyes:), then I will be checking them out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.