Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Keith Richards' Telecaster Specs

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Brian.Tele, Apr 9, 2009.

1. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2006
    New Jersey
    Nobody ever seems to be able to find a clear answer on this one. But, to me, you can hear the humbucker in the tone that he gets. The other question is why put a humbucker in there if you aren't going to use it?

Wayne

2. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2009
    Franklin New Jersey
    He plays in open G. DGDGBD and leaves the low E or in this case D off.

3. dkbemb10

dkbemb10 Tele-Meister

Jul 21, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

I'm not a 100% sure on this but I'm a big keith richards fan so I read alot of stuff about his equipment and stuff... For some reason I'm thinking it's 250k. I could be wrong but as soon as I read your question I immediately thought 250K.

4. Monster Mike Welch

Monster Mike Welch Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    There are a couple of moments in the Four Flicks concerts where you can hear Keith soloing on the neck humbucker. It's round and warm, and nothing like the jaw-harp effect of the bridge pickup. During those moments, the switch is in the full-forward position.

5. Monkey Man

Monkey Man Tele-Meister

Apr 27, 2005
    The Land of Az
    250's wouldn't choke the 'bucker or make it to trebley?

The opening riff to "One hit to the body" sure sounds like a bucker with some tweed overdrive!

6. Retro Relic

Retro Relic Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2008
    Ohio
    Sooooooooooooo COOL:eek:

When did these get produced?

7. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2008
    St. John's, Newfoundland
    Monkey man,
    Keef is rumored to have purchased almost every 1957 Fender Twin on the planet, and uses them exclusively; which is why you are correct in identifying the tweed tone!!

As for pots, I have read (a few times now) that his guitars are wired with 375's - which is the most sensible choice for a combination of those early 50s Fender Champion Steel guitar pickups he uses in the bridge, and the PAF buckers in the neck.

Best regards,

Ward

8. CodeBlue

CodeBlue Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2006
    Southen Indiana
    This is a great thread!
    I've heard the blender rumour too, but I'm sure he uses both pickups alone at times as well.
    He also uses Strats, Les Pauls, 335's, a Music Man (& God knows what all else.)
    My question is: What effects are in the loop aside from the tape echo and an old phase?

9. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    He likes to remove the fat top string because his arm motion when he plays in that tuning is sometimes very wide.He is a very dramatic live player...very physical.That arm swing is required to get the feel of his groove happening.I've played often for fun with a 5 string Tele and the removed string helps clear the way for the arm to make the right contact without worrying about the 6th string being in the way.Of course keith uses the 5 string for certain songs....many others are played on regular 6 string.

10. Monkey Man

Monkey Man Tele-Meister

Apr 27, 2005
    The Land of Az
    Ward, great info! Never even heard of 375K pots. I'll have to track some down.

11. jholcomb

jholcomb Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2005
    Illinois
    Lots of info here, some right some wrong...I've been studying every interview Keith has done since the early 70's and have them all in one spot for reference. Something that is never mentioned that I read in a Keith interview that most folks don't realize....Keith actually plays with a LIGHT touch. I know it doesn't look like it, but try it with an open G five string guitar into a tube amp....makes you sound more like Keith than blender pots, reverse wiring, etc.

12. Monkey Man

Monkey Man Tele-Meister

Apr 27, 2005
    The Land of Az
    Lotta truth to that. I've kept a Tele in 5 string open G for years.
    First time I nailed Brown Sugar in open G, it was like an epiphany!
    I am putting together a nicer and "more correct" Tele for the Keef stuff though. These threads help alot.

13. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I'd like to know why the humbucker in Micawber has the pole pieces away from the neck. What does that do to the tone?

14. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 6, 2009
    the delta bc
    re : peter green his unique (blues) tone derived from a modification to the neck pickup which was reversed and rewired

15. ianblond

ianblond TDPRI Member

Aug 14, 2008
    poland
    I think he doesn`t use any blender.His tone is simple - fat sounding amp pushed to power tubes saturation and using the volume pot in his guitar.Humbucker is only for aestethical reasons and because he used neck humbucker in 70`s.

16. syow

syow Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2010
    ozark, mo.
    open g

you need to read keefs new book LIFE it has alot on info on the 5 strings, where and how he was turned onto it. most of it came from the old banjo players only used 5 strings, the book is about 20 bucks, great book.

17. BradL

BradL Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK

18. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Meister

Dec 29, 2010
    Boone, NC

Same here. Just tune the 6th to D(in G) and try don't hit it if you don't want to play it.

19. Monkey Man

Monkey Man Tele-Meister

Apr 27, 2005
    The Land of Az
    Great thread! I sometimes go back an re-read it, there's so much useful info here.
    Does anyone have some good pics of Malcom? Lots of great Micawbers pics, but I'd like to see some good Malcom shots if anyone has some.
    Thanks!
    MM

20. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    That headstock has a CBS decal that did not exist on Tele headstocks until well into 1967.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.