Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Keith Richards' Telecaster Specs

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Brian.Tele, Apr 9, 2009.

1. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2007
    Brittany
    Mmmmh... Are you sure? Note that Micawber's pickguard is broken (just below the neck pocket).... and it's broken on both photos. Well, on the other hand, the grain and the black switch tip... Oh, I don't know.:D

2. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Hey Oakland, here's a better link to the related threads on IORR.org
    http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,871195
    I contributed to those threads as "open-g". I would have liked to have the same nick here on TDPRI but it was already taken.

I do agree that some hearsay information must be taken with more than a pinch of salt.
    I'm particular sceptical about Don Mare's story. when was that supposed to have happend?
    I mean Keith had good techs since at least '72. Ted Newman Jones III even built him some specivic dedicated 5-string guitars from scratch to fit his needs.
    then there was Alan Rogan, Pierre De Beaufort and Johnny Starbuck.
    Fred Stuart is a Fender man, I suppose. can someone give more information?
    ...and why would he hate to do a job like that?

on a side note - Let's try to not get this thread derailed - it seems there was a little misunderstanding - but it took a lot of words to get it right again.

cheers

3. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Absolutely sure!
    Micawber has an aged pale butter scotch finish.
    [​IMG]
    Micawber

Malcolm has a stripped down to natural finish, showing the ash grain.
    [​IMG]
    Johnny Starbuck with Malcolm

4. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2008
    Scotland
    [​IMG]

Only two amps and a couple of effects...

but what about Mission Control on the bottom shelf?

5. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Rightyright - it proves a lot of folks wrong, assuming you get Keith's sound by just playing a 5-string Open G Tele through a cranked to 11 Twin.
    there's more to it.

6. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2006
    New Jersey
    I was just trying to turn you onto a site that has some cool information on all of his guitars. Here is a direct link to the archive of his guitars. You may find it interesting.

http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,871195,1035712#msg-1035712

I also just realized that me and Alamo frequent the same sites as he beat me to it with the link. But, it is an interesting read. Fact? I have no idea, but interesting and worth reading.

Wayne

7. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY

8. noisemaker

noisemaker Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2008
    reykjavík
    i was just joking around.. he was gettin it rather serious (wtf?) though

9. noisemaker

noisemaker Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2008
    reykjavík

10. noisemaker

noisemaker Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2008
    reykjavík
    can you explain to me how that mission control works or maybe some links?
    also.. where is the mission control :lol:??

11. noisemaker

noisemaker Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2008
    reykjavík
    I'm 99,9 % sure.. malcolm just looks different than micawber

12. dgabbear

dgabbear Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2007
    Michigan

13. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

Mar 22, 2003
    CA.
    hey - on the "Blend Pot" possibilitys

as you watch him strap on the tele on a few youtubes - notice - he too does the the standard thing we all do when we put on a guitar,
    put the strap over your head and Insure "both pots are fully open"
    A blend pot has a hard to set sweet spot - it does not look to me like hes calculating that spot on the dial - it looks like a quick wide open sweep and hes off of it" - but I hope someone will really zoom in and watch that closer - to be 100% safe hes not setting his blend by feel - like going full open then up a few increments- like I say Blends are tough and really needs a ear to dial them in - it would be risky to do this with out the amp on.
    instead of the neck blending in I feel that just maybe- ( dunno for sure) but just maybe Keith sweetens that Bridge up a bit at the amps -

heres Keith on his P-90 guitar "Dice" notice the sweet almost neck like tones
    mixed into the bridge - yet there's no neck pickup - another indication of something else in the chain adding some tone while hes on the bridge - also
    there's a few other Teles in the arsenal those too seem to be sweetened up -

a 10k 43 still has a pretty good high end bite- somewhere in the chain hes put a spin on that is my best guess. I do not think a wide open 10k would get his sound without some added darker tones from the amp, or maybe at the boost??

I'm not 100% on any of this - but just trying to help.
    ;)

BTW,, its official for the record "Fred: did not wind the 10k pickups for Keith while at Fender - but perhaps that job was given over to the current winder at that time - Fred did state ( to me) that they were winding Ketih's pickups to 10k with 43 gauge! -
    just for the record it was not Fred's hands at the time on the winders. this winder info came from Jason at VV who reps for Fred.

14. varakeef

varakeef Tele-Afflicted

Sep 7, 2007
    Finland
    I remember reading on Guitar World (or Player) say15-20 years ago that Keef doesn't have his volume pot fully open. He compares that to driving a car... you don't floor it down all the time just in case you need a reserve of power.

So are you sure he insures pots are fully open?

15. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 11, 2005
    Seattle
    I think it was actually "Five strings, three chords, two fingers and one a$$hole..."

16. jbdrumbo

jbdrumbo Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    athens ga
    No, No, and No
    As has been stated and restated - the reason Keith's open G tuned guitars have 5 strings is so the bottom string will be the root chord is his barre phrasings, just like in standard tuning the bottom string is the root chord for the primary E formation barre.

The low D in open-G tuning certainly can sound wonderful, especially with a finger style arpeggiated approach, but in Keith's strummed 1-to-4-to-1 style the bottom D WILL muddy up the sound of the chord, if it's included in the barre. Removing the low D string puts paid to that potential problem.

17. Monkey Man

Monkey Man Tele-Meister

Apr 27, 2005
    The Land of Az
    I love these Keef threads!

OaklandA, what part of Az? I'm in the west Valley.

18. dkbemb10

dkbemb10 Tele-Meister

Jul 21, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

I wouldn't necessarily say that. From what I've gathered he has the vintage wiring system similar to that of the new Fender Custom Shop guitars. Meaning that when he's in the bridge position, his tone knob doesn't control tone but rather controls "blending". When his using the bridge pickup and rolls back the tone knob he's really just blending in some of the neck pickup with the bridge pickup. And since he has a humbucker in the neck, by doing this he is "fattening" up his bridge pickup by introducing some humbucker to the single coil bridge pickup.

Hammerdog likes this.

19. Monkey Man

Monkey Man Tele-Meister

Apr 27, 2005
    The Land of Az
    Any guess as to the value of the pots...250 or 500K?

20. Doth

Doth Tele-Afflicted

Jun 9, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    You can also tune the low E up 1.5 steps to G to keep it from sounding muddy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.