Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Keith Jarrett

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleAndSG, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    I saw Jarrett with Miles at Lenny's on the Turnpike outside Boston around that time. $5 cover, table 10 feet from the stage. I'll just say the recordings don't do justice to the intensity of the live performance.

TeleAndSG likes this.

2. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    From what I’ve read, the Live Evil recordings may not the tightest performances by that group (Bartz, Davis, DeJonette, Henderson, Jarrett, Moreira). They were recorded at the Cellar Door in Washington D.C. as a septet with John McLaughlin as a “guest” on guitars, and they didn’t have much time to rehearse together. I’ve heard another performance of What You Say by the sextet without McLaughlin. Much faster and more intense.

3. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I heard this line-up (-McLaughlin) at Portland State University in 1970. I was 17 and had just moved from a small town to Portland, and really hit town big-time. Within a couple of months, I secured what turned out to be a 14-year teaching gig at a music store, joined two jazz lab bands (high school and university), a jazz ensemble, and a working rock band that played around the northwest. Feeding into my excitement and boldness was all of this music, and the Miles Davis concert just fit the bill for me at the time. It was perfect.

Ricky D. and TeleAndSG like this.

4. Larry F

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    In Larry Coryell's autobio, he talks about the mid-60s in New York and all of the characters, including Keith Jarrett, who he said was "insufferable even then."

Is the video still available that shows him berating an audience in Italy? It is the worst I have seen him when doing that stuff.

5. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Yes it is. He doesn’t like anything that might distract him, including people taking pictures or coughing

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017

6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Not the tightest performance??? Really? Hey man, you missed a note... :)

TeleAndSG likes this.

7. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    It’s a terrific one, but I’ve heard others that are more intense :)

Ricky D. likes this.

8. Larry F

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    When this group played at Portland State in 1970, it was in a gym, and the band was positioned on some kind of rigged stage, with everything open and no curtains or other barriers. This let Miles stay at the center of attention, even when not playing. He had on a blue leather jumpsuit, red scarf, and those big bug-eye shades.

When he played, it was through a trumpet mute that also functioned as a transducer. The mute signal was sent to a wah-wah pedal, which he used to great effect to bring out the subtleties of his touch and sensibilities.

When he stopped playing and somebody else took a solo, Miles would walk off stage and wander around behind the band as they played. I believe he had a long, red scarf that perfectly complemented the blue jumpsuit. And he just looked so ****ing cool, walking around the scaffolding and risers, listening and evaluating the whole time. Plotting, scheming, even. I was just bowled over by the whole experience. Miles just ruled the whole thing. All eyes were on him, almost as if he was posing.

TeleAndSG likes this.

9. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    With all due respect, I don't really think the musical brilliance and greatness of Keith Jarrett was conveyed here. The OP did a good job kicking things off, but the importance of this artist has been understated, I think. My point is that KJ's material is vast. It's an exciting adventure to enjoy.

I don't care what the man is like personally. It's immaterial to me while listening to their music. I know my heroes will not always measure up to expectations. I do however appreciate the anecdotes and points of view here.

TeleAndSG likes this.

10. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    By all accounts, he listened carefully, and didn’t say anything, which basically meant that he liked what he heard.

11. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    He is brilliant, no doubt about it, and he has done a lot during his career: classical music, solo piano, his quartets, jazz fusion and avant garde when playing with Davies, his standards trio, and even church organ pieces, if I’m not wrong. You name it.

Dan R likes this.

12. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    Thanks, TeleAndSG. I just wanted to make the point that Jarrett is truly a musical marvel. Bach is often called "The Master of All Things". Might Jarrett be the modern version?

TeleAndSG likes this.

13. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Well, if you consider that he gave his first piano recital at the ripe old age of 6, then you might regard him as the modern version of Mozart.

Dan R likes this.

14. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    A wunderkind.

TeleAndSG likes this.

15. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    He is. I’ve read somewhere that he also started school much earlier than usual.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.