Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Keith Jarrett

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleAndSG, Dec 26, 2017.

1. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    I’ve heard the Koln Concert two times. Outstanding, and everything in it, except the last section, was improvised!.

What inclueces he incorporates into his unique style?. Blues and Gospel have been mentioned in his music, but I also hear Folk Music in it. What are your thoughts?.

2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    The only Keith Jarrett album I have owned in Arbor Zena which I love. I have no idea of his influences.
    In fact I may chill out to some Arbor Zena this afternoon.

TeleAndSG likes this.

3. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    There is so much to say about Keith Jarrett's music. He has the solo piano concerts, the American group and the Scandinavian group, then the Standards. Lots of stuff here. He started with ABC/Impulse Records, then went to the famous ECM Record label.

"Treasure Island" is maybe his most accessible album for it's pop/jazz leanings. He did some work with the fabulous guitarist (tele) Sam Brown in the early 70's. Sam was tragically murdered by an intruder in NYC not much later. Then we have the American group of Dewey Redman - sax, Charlie Haden - bass and Paul Motian - drums. All giants in Jazz. This is some truly fine experimental music in the vein of Oregon.

The Scandinavian group consists of Jan Garbarek - sax, Palle Daniellson- bass and Jon Chrisitensen - drums. All Jazz giants too. Their music is more melodic and less chaotic than the American group. Jarrett is one of the few musicians who could ever pull this off. Two groups from two continents making modern Jazz. It's really hard to imagine the work ethic required to accomplish something like this.

Jarrett then turned to Standards using Gary Peacock on bass and Jack Dejohnette on drums. Keith has shown that he is the whole enchilada. He can do anything, and has done most everything in Jazz music. An enormous talent.

TeleAndSG likes this.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I never got Oregon listening to KJ's American band. Maybe Keith playing bass recorder at the beginning ? I don't know.

I think this is the finest thing he ever recorded with any group - including that standards trio he did w/ DeJohnette. (Don't worry folks averse to anything free-ish : it all resolves into some of the most lyrical material he ever recorded.)

FrontPU, TeleAndSG and Dan R like this.

5. nhsdpl

nhsdpl TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2011
    West Australia
    I find the "singing along" annoying.

Cheers.

6. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    Mike Eskimo, to your point, I see what you mean. Oregon was the only group I could think of, but not a very good comparison.

I LOVE Survivor's Suite. It is spiritual for me.

P.S. yes, the singing along is annoying. Still, I love the music

TeleAndSG likes this.

7. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    I like his playing, he plays a piano as if he's playing a guitar.

TeleAndSG likes this.

8. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Maybe he “thinks out loud” just like Thelonious Monk did

9. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    I saw a 1966 video where he stole the show he did with the Charles Lloyd quartet (also with DeJonette) when he was just 21. Unvelievable, and already a maestro at that age!.

10. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    He doesn’t like electric keyboards. He thinks they are “toys”. However, what he did with those toys on Miles Davis’ Live Evil is simply astonishing.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017

11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Here's Keith Jarrett with Miles Davis. He would set up a Fender Rhodes and a Fender Organ at right angles, both with wahwah. Other players are Gary Bartz, John McLaughlin, Michael Henderson, Jack DeJohnette, Airto Moreira.

FrontPU and TeleAndSG like this.

12. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

This is what jazz piano should like--

Nobody needs that many notes. If you play that many notes, you don't know what you're trying to say.

burntfrijoles and nhsdpl like this.

13. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Count Basie might agree. Oscar Peterson would laugh and walk away.

brianswindall likes this.

14. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    I forgot to mention that Keith does a pretty good job on soprano sax as well. I think what's remarkable is that his early work as a sideman is stellar too.

TeleAndSG likes this.

15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    This applies to the guitar as well. I am not saying I don't appreciate fast runs, passing notes, extended arpeggios, etc but music has to breathe.
    It's why I don't care for many modern day blues players.
    Of all the Clapton stuff on the Beano album, there is a single note in "Have You Heard" that still brings a tear to my eye. It's is so expressive.

Teleguy61 likes this.

16. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    "Jazz piano is THIS, it's not THAT."

Translated : I prefer Red Garland's piano style to Keith Jarrett's.

Too many notes ! Ha !

Tell Coltrane.

Well, he would admit that he was searching.

Miles figures in all this of course.

Miles to Trane : Why do you play so much/so long ?

Trane : Once I get going I don't know how to stop.

Miles : Take the horn out of your mouth.

And, Mile famously detested McCoy Tyner's piano playing, an opinion which many people would disagree with.

17. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Yes. It was in Treasure Island, right?.

18. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    He also has many straighahed and or subdued moments, especially in his solo piano albums. What I like about Jarrett’s playing, and it is very unique in this sense, is his amalgam of Jazz, Blues, Folk and Gospel.

19. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    I particularly enjoy his playing in What You Say. I couldn’t believe my ears when I first heard it.

20. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Miles asked him if he would rather play electric piano or organ and Jarrett said "Acoustic piano" so Miles said "Right, you play organ..."

TeleAndSG likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.