Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Keeping pointless story alive.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I am one of the few people on earth to have witnessed, and participated in, a great prank.

30 years ago, a friend of mine was diving in the Columbia river, and found a submerged rock partly stuck in the riverbed. He pulled it out and thought that it resembled a meteor, the kind we saw as students. He was not an idiot and did not think he actually had a meteor. But he knew who might.

He scorched on side of the rock, then took it to her backyard at night, pounded it into the ground, and scorched some of the grass. A few days later, he gets an excited call from her about the meteor in the backyard. She then took it to a local university scientist (astronomy, geology?) to ask his opinion. He wasn't strongly sure, but said that it might be. He advised her not to tell the media, as she was renting the house, and the landlord apparently would own. So, she wrapped the meteor in a blanket and put it on the shelf in the closet.

So, now she thinks she still has a meteor.

AAT65, MuddyDitch, nojazzhere and 3 others like this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

it is the question we never ask #heatherisn'therebutwehonorherfluidity

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Patsy, o'course

MuddyDitch, nojazzhere and moosie like this.
  4. getbent

miss patsy.

5. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    That makes it all clear. As does this.

Maybe. :)

getbent likes this.
  6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    well, if you cruelly wish to extend the prank, you need to have that landlord call her and demand his property. and his lawyer.

don't do it.

Mouth and TokyoPortrait like this.
  7. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    Meteorite. Once they fall to Earth they are Meteorites. Meteors are in the sky, in flight.

suave eddie and getbent like this.
  8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    maybe you could get Roy D. Mercer to call her.

9. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    What happens with the meteor, stays with the meteor.

10. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Meatier than what?

Kingpin and eclecticsynergy like this.
  11. getbent

an immigrant bison perhaps?

dan1952, telleutelleme and moosie like this.
  12. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    For a meatier meteor, just add bacon!

dan1952 and elihu like this.
  13. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Aren't bison native?...

Or are you down in Tijuana?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  14. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    it could be meatier

BaronBeef-Reception-Entree.jpg

Or a Comet

ba180ba11cfa4d31967318da5d4091781.jpg

some times they are hard to tell apart

MuddyDitch likes this.
  15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Larry, it's not real funny if the prankee NEVER finds out. Right? And thirty years? The best-by date might have passed by now. UNLESS the person is still actively having their life changed somehow by apparently having a meteorite.

What's the chance she's dead?

What's the chance she already found out, and the prank's been on you guys all this time?

What's the chance you tell her and she goes "What meatier?"

What's the chance it actually IS a meteorite?

nojazzhere and 24 track like this.
  16. Larry F

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    BUSTED!!

The story continues. The "her" was Connie. After a few weeks, her boyfriend from the east coast came out to join her in Oregon. The small group of us friends somehow got it into our heads that we didn't like the idea of our little Connie having a boyfriend come out and alter the scene.

Soon after he arrived, Connie showed him the meteor. The first thing he said was, "Meteorite." He said it to her, then again to my friend who "found" the meteorite. He told that when he corrects people on it, he raises up his index finger, like a Sunday school teacher.

Well, I couldn't wait to try it myself. Sure enough, I called it a meteor and, sure enough, he raised his pointer finger and primly corrected me: "Meteorite."

So that's the story. As far as I know, no one ever told Connie the truth. And it kills me that the boyfriend must have been thinking that Oregonians must be the stupidest people around, if they don't the difference between the two terms, which, of course, is something we all learned in 2nd grade. I mean, who doesn't know that? So, that's the bigger part of the joke to us, that this guy had gotten a warped view of Oregonians, thinking we all were making the same mistake, over and over, as more friends got enlisted to ask about the meteor.

AAT65, MuddyDitch and 24 track like this.
  17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    One question. Just how much marijuana was involved?

18. Larry F

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Part III.

What made this so funny to us, was that all of her friends were science brainiards, except me. I was just a wise guy. My favorite pranks are when the victim's behavior is changed for life, without them knowing it. A neighbor kid has grown up thinking that cherry Koolaid turns green if left outside on top of our fence.

I eventually moved on, and out of Oregon. Not long ago, I starting looking up a few names from the past, and I went to visit the webpage of the guy who started the whole thing. He had just retired from a scientific fabrication shop guy, leaving behind a small team of assistants. One of whom was: The Guy! I couldn't believe it, there he was, plain as day. I don't know if my friend ever fessed up.

Here was my plan. I was going to connect with the new shop guy (previously a student there) and try to explain the prank. Then see if I could get him to start up a conversation with the guy about meteors.

But I waited, and now the guy is gone. Oh well.

24 track likes this.
  19. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Sounds like a plot for The Big Bang Theory.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.