Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Keeley Comp Plus; yeah, another comp thread...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by FMA, Oct 2, 2017.

1. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    So, this all began when a friend let me borrow his Keeley four-knob comp.

I've been through a lot of compressors and have settled in a Philosopher's Tone. It works for me. I like having the blend and treble knobs to add dry signal and to add some upper end sparkle to the comped tone. Those are the features that led me to the PT and the features that keep it on my board while other comps have gone out the door or sit on the shelf.

That said, I really liked how the four-knob Keeley sounded and got to thinking that if it had the ability to blend and EQ, I might spring for one.

So I look around on the interwebs and find the Keeley Comp Plus, a four-knob comp with blend and treble controls. (As far as I know, Keeley was against such features on compressors, but changed his mind based on players' preferences and other factors.)

The one difference between the PT and the Keeley plus is that the Keeley has a switch to adjust the attack between single coils and humbuckers.

Anyway, I was wondering whether anyone out there has been gigging a Keeley Plus and what their impressions are. How does it compare to other comps you've used? How does switching the attack affect the tone? That kind of thing...

For your info, my band plays a variety of stuff from old rock, Stax and Motown to the Stones and more modern stuff and some classic country. (We're all over the place, genre-wise, and that's not including originals that run the gamut from Americana, country, rock and rockabilly.)

Mostly, I use the comp to burnish my clean tone for leads, add some squish for country picking and twangy riffs and add some jangle to rhythm parts. Sometimes, I add the comp to dirt, a BB Pre Amp or an OCD or a Rat, to add sustain and allow dirty leads to punch through the mix.

2. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    Are the Keeley comps based on the Dyna-Comp mods he used to do, or a different design?. When he started, he was mainly a pedal modder, and later came out with his own line of pedals, many of which I believe he based on the mods he developed for other commercial pedals.
    Al

3. FMA

Apr 29, 2003
    I believe he based his comps on Dyna-Comps, or maybe Ross comps, or maybe they're similar critters. I'm not entirely sure.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I A/B tested the 4 knob Keeley against the Empress compressor for about 2 years. The Empress won out, but pretty much because of the additional functions, so if the Plus is basically the same as the 4 knob with just more functions, I would be very surprised that it didn't fill your needs ... especially at that price. However, I'd be looking into the Keeley Compressor Pro instead, but even then, I would get the Empress.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    From a distance, seems like a solution in search of a problem in your case.

6. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    The Blend control starts at 50%. It doesn't go from zero to full-on.

7. FMA

Apr 29, 2003
    Yeah, I hear what you're saying. But I'm not immune to this kind of thing. The more I think about it, the more I think I'll just stick with the PT because it does what I want it to do.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    MilwMark likes this.

8. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    The Ross was an improved version of the DC, with a few more and changed value components so they are "similar critters".

9. atomfissure

atomfissure Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It's very much a Ross compressor type critter. Even with low blend, it still does that pump thing. If you like a Ross style compressor, the Keeley Comp+ is a great one. If not, I think you will have trouble making it do anything else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.