Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Keef inspired tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by BobTheOwl, Sep 16, 2017.

1. BobTheOwl

BobTheOwl TDPRI Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Sheffield UK
    My band do a couple of Stones songs so I've converted my MIM standard to a Keith Richards inspired tele. Its strung up 5 string open G using .11 .15 .18 .30 .42 Ernie Ball strings. The low E is not installed.

As I plan to keep it this way for the foreseeable future, is there anything I should know? For example will the lack of tension from the missing low E have a detrimental effect on the neck? Could the neck twist?

I don't really want to convert it back to 'normal' but don't want to risk doing something that will cause irreversible damage to my guitar.

Thoughts please??

Steve IMG_2474.jpg

Bruxist likes this.

2. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

At this point it's still too clean/new looking to be a Keef inspired Tele. How about a few cigarette burns in the headstock? :)

BobTheOwl likes this.

3. BobTheOwl

BobTheOwl TDPRI Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Sheffield UK
    Good point, but I stopped smoking 11 years ago!;)

Bruxist and nojazzhere like this.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Well...you'll have to start again....

5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    You should be able to leave it that way without any issues. I've kept one strung thusly for years.

BTW, I used a MIM Tele bridge P/U in the first guitar I strung to open G and it did a darn good Keef. Hope yours is the same.

Cheers,
    Rex

BobTheOwl likes this.

6. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    One of these days this five string monster will spiral you into orbit!

until then - how about changing the A-string for the E-string?
    that's what I do anyway, allthough it's 0.10 -46
    think about it.
    tune the 42 gauge A string to G = minus 2 semi tones
    if you install the 46 E string instead of the A. means E to G = plus 3 semi tones
    you'll have a balanced fat sounding low bottom with chime on the highs. you could try 0.10s like I do.

anyway and anyhow there's no neck twisting to be expected, according to the D'addario tension chart, which I must have read many years ago.
    In the mean time I've been playing my 5-string instruments with no twist in the neck for years.

7. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Yep, you've ruined that guitar. The only option is to give th to me. I'll cover the unruly disposal fee for you, 'cause I'm just that nice.

BobTheOwl and OahuClay like this.

8. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Can't Fender make a dedicated 5-string neck already?

9. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    It would be cool, but to do it right, it would require a dedicated 5 string bridge, pickups, new body to center the abreviated neck, and new headstock. What will they do with those extra tuners? They'd have a set every 6 guitars, I guess. All this For a market that may or may not exist. I see why they haven't, it'd be cool if warmoth or another builder made the option.

10. hanerlend

hanerlend TDPRI Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Stavanger, NO
    This. The market is probably too small, but it would be really cool.

11. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2011
    Medina, Ohio
    Nice job in removing the unused saddle!

BobTheOwl likes this.

12. joealso

joealso TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2012
    East Haddam, CT
    I've had mine set up almost exactly like yours for years. No issues. Love it. Instant Keef

BobTheOwl likes this.

13. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Trouble is, the mod is so radical that I can't see how you could return it to original specs ..... Should you decide to sell it, it would have to be to a Stones fan!

Of course, they might have to retune it if they wanted to play other stuff .... For me, it can't be saved, sorry!

BobTheOwl likes this.

14. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    What's so radical? Reinstall the E string saddle, restring, and it's a normal tele. It's certainly not as radically modified as the actual Micawber guitar.

https://reverb.com/news/a-blackguard-named-micawber-keith-richards-no-1-fender-telecaster

[​IMG]

BobTheOwl likes this.

15. Tonemonkey

irony
    ˈʌɪrəni
    noun
    the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

Or

a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result.

a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character's words or actions is clear to the audience or reader although unknown to the character.
    noun: dramatic irony; plural noun: tragic irony

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

16. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    you didn't use the irony font

Midnighttoil likes this.

17. Tonemonkey

No, just the language.

i.e. The enormous change of removing a string and a saddle would make the guitar unusable to anyone except a Keef fan ....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.