Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Just tried a P90 guitar

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Veltek, Jan 12, 2018 at 8:22 PM.

Tags:
  1. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Yup - I like my 3xP90 strat-sorta-caster
    Varied volume settings can make your P90 guitar adapt to many different tone needs.
    Peace - Deeve

2. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.

3. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.

I've got an R4 too, great guitar. Not a featherweight, but definitely not heavy, as the Historics generally aren't. Nice guitars ya got there.

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.

4. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp TDPRI Member

Dec 17, 2017
    USA
    Thank you sir. Yeah I'm definitely a fan of the regular Historic R4's for sure, and it's not too hard to find one in the still comfy 8-9 lb range. My neck starts protesting when guitars get much higher than 8.8-9lbs, esp. above 9-9.5lbs!

As a side note, I gigged a 10 lb LesterPaulfus for about 4 years in my younger days, and I'll never be doing that again :confused:o_O

ac15 likes this.

5. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    Love the P90s in my Reverend Jetstream. I think everyone should have at least one P90 guitar.

6. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    When I hit the lottery, I'm going to get a goldtop Les Paul w/ P90s.

lineboat, Veltek, hrstrat57 and 2 others like this.

7. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    I am personally not a fan of the exposed humbucker coil look (too busy). I'd prefer the covers, but agree about the chrome, still, I like that better than exposed double coils.

Soapbar P90s look like juicy cakes because they are tall too, and yes, the simplicity as you point out. But after all, we are talking purely about aesthetics here and nothing more so to each his own.

8. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    They don't actually cost a lottery win. I got the 56 Les Paul copy that Epiphone do and I preferred it to the r4 Gibson I played

9. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    I didn't know that about DiMarzio and double cream. That is absurd. I can't believe they got that patent.

RocknRollShakeUp, Golem and Piggy Stu like this.

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    GFS Mean 90's are like the Duncan HB sized P90's and have the Alnico magnets and are great for the money. Seymour Duncan's are better though. Enjoy them.

Mincer likes this.

11. Golem

Golem Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It's a trademark. Much worse because trademarks may never expire if Disney has it's way.

12. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Yep, it's absolutely absurd that the trademark was allowed to lock out others from double cream. Some winders get around it by shipping double creams covered with chrome covers, then the buyer just removes the cover.

13. Texas_tele2015

Texas_tele2015 Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2014
    Mesquite, TX
    Had a P90 in the parts decided to slap it into an Peavey Generation EXP Custom see how it would sound along with a humbucker...Excellent! 1515971507863.jpg

14. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016

15. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I have a strat with dual p90s and a fat 50s strat bridge pickup in the middle to keep up with the p90 output. I love them, they are definitely not weak pickups, the volume difference between my esquire and the strat is massive and can definitely take a clean amp setting for the tele into a heavy crunch.

16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    The real sleeper of the pickup world is the Dynasonic.
    I have one of each, P90 and Dyna, in my LP.
    Mmmmm,mmmm, good!

Golem and RomanS like this.

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Dynasonic is the one type I haven't tried but really want to.

Golem likes this.

18. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    You know, I had a DC with P90’s, and just never really could bond with it. Sold it, bought an SG with P90’s. Got the GAS for a LP, sold the SG, and now have the LP with Lollar P90’s. I wish I had the SG back. It felt and played better.

Zepfan likes this.

19. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    I have a Gibson 55/74. One of the first reissue guitars made by Gibson, it was built in '74 as a reissue of the '55 LP Special. It has two P90s. I love the guitar, I bought it new in '77, but I have never been able to make it sound as good as it looks and feels. To me, the P90s seem to lack any real character. I have always thought that it is just a question of my own style not sitting well with P90s. But a few friends have tried this guitar on loan, and they agree that it doesn't really do it for them either.

I wonder if the P90s on that guitar are somehow different from all the other beloved P90s - were they made differently, wound differently? Were the 70s a bad time for Gibson P90 pickups?

Or am I missing something on the setup? Are there setup tricks re: pickup height maybe, something that everyone but me knows about P90s?

Am I just so tuned-in to Fender sounds that I can't manage these pickups? I am definitely a single-coil guy, I never played a humbucker that made me happy. But the sound of the P90 single coil also doesn't seem to work for me, as far as I have experienced it on my own Gibson.

It's frustrating because I love that old Gibson, but I rarely play it. Anyone got any advice that might get me in to the P90 club?

20. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2008
    SEA
    Then Filtertron followed and now Goldfoil takes the place (outside of regular hb and sc).

Enjoy! I love P-90s. I have 3 guitars with them.

bluesky1963 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.