Just sold some pedals.

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by fasteddie42, Feb 1, 2019.

1. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I just sold a bunch of really cool/rare(ish)/collectible pedals.

I've decided to move away from anything resembling unobtanium, collectible, limited edition as best I can.

1. Reverb is really nice and easy.

2. They all sold in one day (7 pedals)

3. Yikes that's a lot of money that was gathering dust!

Broke even/made a profit on all of them.

The gear bog down is real man. The relief from letting things go is too!

WHEW!!

I feel so much better!

I plan to be more scrutinizing with what gear stays around, it can pile up quickly!

2. BobbyJames

BobbyJames Tele-Meister

I've also found Reverb to be great for pedal offloads - sold around 5, also within a day!

3. john_humphrey79

john_humphrey79 TDPRI Member

Maybe I should of sold some on Reverb as well I traded some in to my favorite local store but still I could have made up for my slight losses. Congrats.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I still have one more pedal to sell, but just lazy gettting it listed. Otherwise, my pedalboard has been solid and done for quite sometime now. It is a good feeling to whittle gear down. Congrats.

5. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've been procrastinating selling some even though all my reverb selling experiences have been great. Gotta get some motivation.

6. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

I don't sell them....just throw them in the closet....it's full of old pedals...don't want to lose money on them anyways...:)

7. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I went from 23 pedals 2 months ago to 10. I kept 3, traded 20 & picked up 7. I feel so much better.

Shuster likes this.
  8. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

I try to get rid of stuff I'm not using. Rather have the money in my pocket than collecting dust in a box. The downside is that sometimes later on I wish I had things back. "Why did I get rid of that?" There are a couple things I got rid of, then bought all over again later. But I figure if I buy things used, I can sell and get my money back.

9. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

In our music medium, pedals are easiest to buy and sell. easy to wrap and ship. Not to expensive that way.

10. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Thank you. You’re an inspiration!

Been wanting to do that for years, but always get put off by the hassle of boxing up, shipping etc.

Gotta get on that...

Shuster likes this.
  11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I got rid of 7 too. Released loads of cash and freed up some space

For another guitar!

12. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

lol

thank you fellas!

I'm happy to stir some motivation, that's why I posted!

I feels really good to have "less".

Granted;

Every pedal I own(ed) was the same brand, Way Huge Pedals. Seriously awesome products, with great circuits built rocksolid.

After buying a small set up of the same brand pedals, I had inadvertently pigeonholed myself into being a "way huge pedal" collector. After a year or so I realized I'd gotten so far into owning most of the limited releases that it felt rather critical to have the rest; and to get the next one, and to find that rare one, and to get the limited edition color and to....you get the idea.

The thing is, I grew up in the 90's. Everything was sold in "sets" or "collections" in the 90's. poke'mon/magic the gathering/trading cards/action figures/(once you had ALL the figures they usually assembled into a MEGA figure!!!!). Having "them all" was king of the hill on the scene. Nothing was cooler or commanded better trades/sales than having "the set".

It's only been in the past few years that I noticed some of these patterns and consciously tried to address them.

As of late I've been inspired by Steve Vai (whose music although I can appreciate the virtuosity of, doesn't really "hit me") and our very own tdpri member "blowtorch".

Steve Vai said something to the effect of (totally paraphrasing) "I use boss pedals because you can replace them anywhere in the world, and if you can get your sound from boss you can get your sound from anything".

Our very own "blowtorch" has expressed the same idea in several threads in different contexts that (again paraphrasing) "once the band kicks in, all the subtle nuances of the boutique/expensive pedals get lost to the mix".

both of these ideas really resonate with me.

So I've sold off what wasn't actually necessary/used, and it feels great!

I'm actively trying to break myself of these sort of compulsions (consumption or collection for the sake of itself).

I'm happy to not feel obligated to pick up the "good deal on that rare such and such" or the "next limited release" and just being open to experiencing what crosses my path.

ravindave_3600 and JustABluesGuy like this.
  13. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I know what you mean!
    If you don't sell them, you can say you have never lost money on them. :)

14. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

It depends.....I'm able to sell pedals without regret.
    I rarely sell amps - but then I don't have that many and the 2 amps without any purpose wouldn't be much of a profit. So far, I have sold only one because it just wasn't useable for me and I sold it without loss.
    I just can't sell one of my instruments, even the rather crappy ones were important at some point.

15. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

I've sold 3 pedals recently - lots of low offers but eventually they sold for what I wanted

Don't even miss them - things I tried to love but just didn't

now £450 in my bank account

16. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

I sold all my pedals after buying the BOSS ME-80.
    It has all i need.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.