Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Just showing off my first build!

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by scottymc, Dec 7, 2017 at 12:02 AM.

1. scottymc

scottymc TDPRI Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA
    Just wanted to post a few pics of my first build! I had a ton of help and insight from a lot of you TDPRI members, and am super grateful for freely passing along your wisdom.

So that said, here she is! Started life as a $15 piece of 4x4 kiln dried Douglas fir from HD, is now a light blue metallic (super close to Agave Blue) tele with a tummy cut, Am Std neck, Noiseless neck pup, SD 1/4 Pounder bridge, and a 4-way switch.

As my first build, it’s far from perfect (or even really all that great in many ways) but I’ve learned a toooooon, such as:

1) It’d be better to route your neck ever so slightly too deep than too shallow (and have a neck that sits too high). I realized only after totally finishing my build that the neck pocket was 1/32” too shallow and needed to be routed down..

2) Fir is really soft. Like, really soft. For a guitar anywhere. Impossible to keep it from getting dinged up along the way. But, it’s super easy to work with.

3) In regards to finishes, off-the-shelf Duplicolor auto paint & clear coat is a great starting point for novices like me. I’ll probably do this approach again, but look for more custom colors.

4) Also in regards to finishing, it’s necessary to spend more time in that final stage of wet sanding / buffing to really get a nice gloss. I’ll need to spend more time on this on my next build.. as my first one i didn’t get the shine I hoped, BUT I actually kind of liked it as a semi gloss, so kept it.

5) Tummy cuts!!! Super easy to do by hand and make you feel like a rockstar on your first build.

6) Finally, i learned that you don’t build just one guitar. I’ve caught the bug prettttty hard. Even sold one of my teles to fund a bunch of tools.. (teach a man to fish vs giving him fish, right?)

Like I said, far from perfect, but in all a super fun project, great experience, and knowledge I’m already putting to use on my second, third, and fourth builds in the works :D and to be fair, it’s actually a pretty solid playing and sounding tele!

2. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA

3. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Schwiiing!! Looks awesome.

scottymc likes this.

4. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.