Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Just scored a 69 burst "player"

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Syrjosh, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Syrjosh

Syrjosh TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi guys

In 12 hours I should be buying this guitar, which is reserved for me: https://picasaweb.google.com/111364827728858734561/1969Telecaster?authkey=Gv1sRgCOWHi9rNpKi3FQ#

Turns out I've had the chance to open it up a couple days ago.

Basically, the neck is all original, except maybe for the frets (hard to say), which are not in good shape in any event. Maybe a refret will be necessary or maybe just a bit of levelling will do, that remains to be said by my luthier.

Green stamp on neck heel says February 69.
    Serial on neckplate says 69.

I could not identify this horrific humbucker -- no reference written on it. Sounds pretty crappy to me anyway.
    I can't believe they butchered the body and guard to shove that retarded HB in there, what a pity!!!

Pots are CTS from 66 as you would expect.

The "cable cup" is gone and replaced by some stupid plate...
    Both original knobs are gone too.

As you can see, the finish is original and still quite alive. It's gone only a bit on the edges, but nothing too bad.

The bridge pickup is still there but sounds dull / "as dead". But perhaps this is because of a bad wiring or impedance incompatibility with that HB?

Basically, it sounds very thin, with very low volume, while the HB sounds loud and fat. The middle position sounds exactly like the neck position, I couldn't hear any nuance between both positions.

I'm dreaming that this thin sound is only due to a wiring issue, but have no idea whether this hypothesis is realistic.

The guitar was light, around 7 lbs or so, felt and played great; no neck issue of any kind, just bad frets.

What do you think? How much would you offer for that Tele and/or how much do you think it is worth? Thanks for helping me appraise that scarred baby, which I will restore back to its original state as a new mid-term project :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

2. originalritz

originalritz Tele-Meister

Sep 1, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    How much are they asking for it? As is I would probably pay up to 1000. But that's just me and not at all reflective of what its market value could be.
    If that bridge pup is original and turns out it works well with a wiring job, it could be something special! Grab a contemporaneous neck pup and throw it in there too!

3. Syrjosh

Syrjosh TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Brussels, Belgium
    1000 ? If I sell this guitar in parts without bothering to try and restore it as a whole, I could get much more than 1000... don't you think?

4. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    I've got a 69 that had a back bow that I paid $1200 for. After e refret and a few other repairs I had $1800 in her.

Try get a custom shop reissue any cheaper. And my guitar plays and sounds amazing.

obviously its a body refin but again a great guitar is a great guitar no matter how ya slice it.

1339373617291.jpg

5. Syrjosh

Syrjosh TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Brussels, Belgium
    That's for sure, and the one I got me is a great one too! Super light, great sustain, great feel on the neck...

6. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2011
    Jasper, TN
    Humbucker is "Loud and Fat" .....might want to save it. Just rewire it or replace the other pickup. Hard to price something like that. It it is worth probably what the parts would bring on Ebay.

7. Syrjosh

Syrjosh TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Brussels, Belgium
    I think this is worth more than just the price of the parts.
    If only because it can pretty easily get fully restored.

8. Danocaster

Danocaster Tele-Holic

Nov 18, 2003
    disregard that previous comment - I didn't read carefully

sounds like the bridge pickup may have given up the ghost - or is in the process of doing it

an old '67 I had had an amazing bridge pickup - then one day it was GONE - small and tinny.

I sent it to Rolph and it came back sounding and looking exactly the same w/ a "partial rewind"

9. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2011
    Jasper, TN
    It may be different in Belgium. I hate dismantleing things and selling them that way, I would leave the guitar intact first, but many, many guitars will sell for more as parts than as a whole. You might get as much for just the neck, as for the whole guitar. I would keep it largely as is, probably have the bad pickup rewound as Danocaster notes, that or replace it and save the old one.

10. marantz1300

marantz1300 Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2008
    london england
    Looks great to me .
    I'd stick some Bareknuckles in it.

11. Syrjosh

Syrjosh TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Brussels, Belgium
    Yay, thanks for the feedback, guys.

I will have the bridge pick up rewound, that's for sure.
    In fact, I'll restore everything I can on this guitar, it is clearly worth it.

The guitar is now home, by the way. The "Chechen" humbucker pickup, as I call it because of its URSS look, is really farty. Still no clue regarding its origin, but all I know is that this is one muddy mother****er.

Here are the period correct original parts I will try to get a hold of:

- neck pickup
    - bridge plate
    - jack cup
    - volume & tone knobs

Please contact me by mp in case you own and wouldn't mind selling any of these parts :)

12. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2008
    Topeka, KS
    Fezzter pup rewind!

13. twangplank

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    I had Curtis Novak rewind an old pup and it sounds great. He's pretty wise to vintage specs from different eras. I would suggest having whomever does the rewind wind a neck pup for a good match.

I'm sure fez would do a great job as well! You can't go wrong either way. We're fortunate to have so many great options these days

14. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Be nice to have it restored, but it will never be original.
    Hard to tell what the worth is.
    As a "player" (Which is all it will ever be even if its restored) I'm sure it would be worth more as parts.
    If you are in it for the fun of playing and restoring its worth as much as the joy you derive from it.

15. Alain Guindon

Alain Guindon TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Montreal
    Nice score Syrjosh, just remove the guard, have a luthier/repair guy fix the neck route back to original, choose a nice vintage type replacement neck pick-up & pickguard, buy some original 60's style hardware to replace the modified stuff, and you should end up with what is close to mine (see attached Photo)

Mine is a 1968 that I purchased in South Africa, the six saddle bridge is original,
    My bridge pick-up went a little to microphonic a few years ago so I had partially potted, and it now sounds great. I had a re-fret with original size wire and a new bone nut. Besides this work the guitar is original. These are worth a few bucks when they are original, but repair it wisely and you'll have a great Tele. Good Luck!
    Alan G

Attached Files:

16. Syrjosh

Syrjosh TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Brussels, Belgium
    Thanks again to all of you for your reactions !

Sure, it will forever remain a player, but if I have the opportunity to make it lean more toward an original than a player, so be it :)

I forgot to mention I will also need a pickguard, by the way... --'

I have already spotted a few original pickups for sale online... Not sure I like the idea of shoving repro pickups in there from the moment I can afford correct replacements... unless you advise me otherwise?

Also, what are the pros and cons of rewinding my bridge pickup over buying another one in working condition? How much does it cost to have a p/u rewound, for example by either of the two persons you guys recommended? I have the feeling it would not cost me as much to buy another period correct working p/u and sell my dead p/u than to have it rewound... but I might be (very) wrong.

I plan to buy original parts only to the extent possible -- although the jack cup will most likely have to be a repro since original ones seem to be quite scarce.
    And then hand the whole thing to my luthiers who will, I am sure, fully enjoy taking care of this restoration project.

Again, any advice, tips or leads to help me with my hunt would be greatly appreciated.

17. twangplank

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    Novak charged me $70 to rewind my 68 bridge pup. I would recommend having it rewound since it's the original pickup. You can lightly have him tailor the wind to some of your specs if you want. I personally had mine put back to original specs

18. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    I second the rewind, and I second Danocaster's rec for Rolph

19. Syrjosh

Syrjosh TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Brussels, Belgium
    Thanks, guys. For 70$, it's clearly worth it. I have contacted with Jim Rolph and will send him my bridge pickup for him to rewind. Cheers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.