Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Just received this email that bands will no longer be paid...

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Junkyard Dog, May 16, 2018.

1. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Chandler Arizona
    Didn't mean to be so snotty with my reply. Back in my day, 1963 -- most musicians were members of the AFM. somewhat of a hassle but we got our pay. But... if you tried to pay in Peoria or the Quad Cities without a card or contract you may end up with flat tiers or broken ankles ! (hyperbole). Then performing was a profession and people/workers stuck together. That all changed about the time of the Beatles when everybody wanted be a musician and get he attention

noah330 likes this.

2. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    There are enough bands that will still play there so the venue will continue.

IMHO a lot of the cover bands that show up and play Mustang Sally don't even deserve the pizza.

twotone60 and nojazzhere like this.

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    Things are very different now. These days, especially with technology, venue owners have a lot more choices for entertainment other than live musicians.

So I'm thinking a union is fine if your doing studio, or pro touring gigs, but try that on the local bar scene, and you will just be out of work.

nojazzhere likes this.

4. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Yep. I'm afraid flashing the union card is probably not going to carry weight on the free pizza/beer gig. I don't know...maybe it will entitle you to an extra slice of pepperoni.

Wildcard_35, tery and Ebidis like this.

5. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    Hey, that one extra pepperoni can add up over time. :D

Wildcard_35 and Junkyard Dog like this.

6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve played free gigs as a form of audition with the deal being that if we show that we can generate a good crowd and good vibes then next time they pay us. This has worked for several locales. Last time the guys paid us even though they were entitled to a freebie because they were very pleased. So playing once for free does not necessarily mean you’ll never get paid thereafter.

El Tele Lobo and Piggy Stu like this.

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    $150 per night- what is it a bowling alley?
    We charge hundreds by the hour here or a negotiated rate and REALLY cash in after midnight on New Year's Eve.

8. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Dear venue ,
    you do realize that most musicians have invested countless hours in learning to play cocaine , so that your drunk paytrons can beilve Eric clapton is up on stage not to mention the thousands of dollars spent on equipment so we might provide your establishment with the privilledge to serve live music so that your beer and pizza sales amount to a monthly profit. The band and I have agreed to come to your esablishment ,set up all of our gear on stage take your free beer and copius amounts of Pizza , but as of May 28 , we no longer play music , we each have an ipod that we will run through the pa to simulate us playing , and will provide cardboard cut outs of each band member to simulate the music experience giving our show the personal touch . Please contact us if this seems accepable

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Marln864, twotone60, Alamo and 11 others like this.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Hmmm, maybe the Mustang Sally playing bands that don't deserve free pizza should get together with the $20 a head Karaoke patrons?

Offer a winning ladies get to grope the band night and double the entry fee.

I mean there's gotta be a way to get paid to play!

noah330 likes this.

10. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    This has been going on for years here in North Carolina. While I'm not playing out anymore, my son has been.
    Some places ask the band to cover the first couple hundred but then share any additional take. I guess that if you were given a chance to establish a following, it could eventually pay off. But that's the way things are going for now.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    24 track makes good points!
    Think of our equipment investments alone.
    Also the practice involved in mimicking the greats so the drunks can arguably sing/dance along and have a " rocking good " time.
    The Australian Musicians Union set a rate of $75 per hr. per band member way back in the 70s. Now it's more negotiated but most proprietors understand that many guys/gals are doing this for a living and are usually reasonable.
    I'd be telling that pizza bar owner where to put his pizzas and shake a few beers and add to the mix.:mad:

12. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    As a general statement I have not made enough in gig money through my life to cover my time spent learning tunes

not to mention transport/gear/sundries etc etc

I haven't for many years learned to solo/riffs to.....................insert song name here, I'm not paid enough to do the complicated break when the customers only know the chorus.

I just do it because I find it easy and mostly fun.

I'm reminded of a busker in Pairs 10 years ago who clearly knew only 3 chords and would constantly play the same chords whilst shouting in French/English different well know chorus's over the top......had a massive crowd round him and was making top dollar. Genius

13. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    I'd say no dough, no show.

14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    It depends what you think the transaction is

If you like people watching you play but no one would buy a ticket, doing it for free with no pizza is fine

If you are Elton John maybe not

you are shifting the atmosphere in a restaurant not holding a concert. As per above you are competing with karaoke and muzak. It is not a music venue with the purpose of holding gigs so if they cannot make it pay fair play to them

How hard can it be for a band to eat 150 in pizza and beer anyway - unless driving

15. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You should be paid for any bookings you had already. If not I would bail.

twotone60 and tery like this.

16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    The only reason venues can get away with this is because new bands are so desperate to play out (for the excitement or whatever) that they will do it for free, which hurts everyone including well-established bands. If local bands would somehow organize into a group (I hate to use the word "union") and refuse to play for free, venues would find a way to pay them, or they will go without entertainment - which would result in a few venues willing to pay musicians, and those venues would attract more customers then those who don't - which would in turn persuade those who don't pay to start paying. Trust me, capitalism works if you don't screw with it. Playing for free is screwing with it. I can't think of any other service where those who perform it are expected to do it for free, and then actually do so.

17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    You can stop wondering. It works, because crappy clientele buy beer and drinks too. Some of these venues have turned into dives to accommodate lonely desperate folks, who accommodate lonely desperate bands, who accommodate the venue. Its comical, as everything is working, until 1am strikes, and instantly the owner and waitstaff switch to closing mode, and kick everyone the hell out. Its darn near a form of prostitution, as the owner and waitstaff pretend to like the band and clientele for a few hours...

18. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    I don't know which I hate more...You for posting this or the fact that it's true (and more and more common).

twotone60 and drlucky like this.

19. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    If they're going to move the goalposts to that extent, they need to at least (a) honour the contractual obligations into which they've entered until that point and (b) expect that bands will probably walk away. I'm not sure how far band members travel to play this gig, or how many band members there are, but $150 for 3 hours work split 5 ways (if there's 5 band members) is $10 an hour. Take out travel and any other, incidental expenses and the band could be paying to play there.

I think this is a rotten and impersonal way to deliver the message as well.

Tony474 likes this.

20. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    Walk away ... it is very simple. $150 for a 3hr gig? 5 piece band? You would do better junking aluminum cans from the side of the road.

Shango66, Hiker, tery and 1 other person like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.