Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

just put out my latest power pop effort! RIYL Beatles, Big Star, Television, XTC

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by bernieee, Jun 6, 2018.

1. bernieee

bernieee TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Berkeley, CA
    hey folks!

I've posted our stuff on here before and figured I'd share this new one off our next album (coming out August 3). I think some of you might really dig it!

the album was mixed and mastered in MONO and recorded straight to 2" tape. it's a pretty diverse collection of songs with a ton of influences (everything from The Beatles to My Bloody Valentine and Joan Of Arc to John Coltrane), but this track definitely falls heavily into the power pop/dreampop side of things.

Lots of Normal channel Vox chime, Tele/Rickenbacker jangle, and a bit of reverse reverb + tremolo swirl happening here. Enjoy!

http://www.thrdcoast.com/read/2018/6/5/ ... radio-king

PS you can pre-order our new album here: curling.bandcamp.com or follow us on Facebook if you feel so inclined (social media following is everything these days!): http://www.facebook.com/curlingband

2. decker

decker Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2011
    spain
    Nice early morning listening guys; well done.

bernieee likes this.

3. bernieee

bernieee TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Berkeley, CA

4. aux8

aux8 TDPRI Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Ireland
    Cool sounds! You hooked me with some great bands in the post title... and didn't disappoint

bernieee likes this.

5. bernieee

bernieee TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Berkeley, CA
    thank you :)

I'm glad that we held up to the advertised proposition!

aux8 likes this.

6. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee

7. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    I like the song, thanks for sharing it.

8. bernieee

bernieee TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Berkeley, CA
    thanks!

9. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    Very nice. Will there be vinyl?

jb

10. bernieee

bernieee TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Berkeley, CA
    YES! Vinyl and tape cassette. You can preorder (very much appreciated!) on our Bandcamp page here: curling.bandcamp.com
    ALL physical preorders/orders come with a full digital download as well in the format of your choice. :)

11. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2018
    New Jersey
    wow sounds really cool, man! your voice sounds very familiar. kinda like the guy from prefab sprout. awesome chord changes!

12. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Wow! Holy moley! I really love that! I like how it kind of balances on a knife’s edge between purely melodic pop and an aesthetic that’s more complex and harmonically adventurous. Really, really well done! ...I’m gonna listen again!

13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    This was amazing. Thanks! do tell about gear used.

14. bernieee

bernieee TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Berkeley, CA
    thank you very much! love your user pic and definitely love Prefab Sprout :)

consider giving us a like or preordering the record, if you feel like it!!

Marquee Moon likes this.

15. bernieee

bernieee TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Berkeley, CA
    thank you so much! really happy with how this one turned out. the rest of the record is great, too (and available for preorder on digital/vinyl/cassette!!)! ;)

Thank you!

Here's some nerdy gear stuff for that track: Almost all of our guitar sounds are guitars straight into amps (typically Vox AC15/30s or boutique derivatives; I'm a big fan of the EF86 preamp in the Morgan AC20) with occasional studio tricks (reverse reverb, Roger McGuinn-style DI guitars with nice studio compressors, varispeed, etc.) and layering to get things sounding how we like it. Both of us tend to use a lot of weird tunings with capos. On 'Radio King,' that premiere track, I'm playing my 67 Tele in DGCGBD into my Morgan AC20 Deluxe (and doubling it with a DI Ric 360/12c63) and Jojo is playing a 57 reissue Strat in EbAbDbAbBbF into a Vox HW15.

Bass was a 60s Fender P-Bass belonging to the studio through a DI and Ampeg V4. There's a bit of harmonic tremolo with me twiddling the knobs in real time on the bass towards the end (courtesy of a Strymon Flint). Most importantly, the kit (belonging to the studio) had a Slingerland Radio King snare drum! :)

Marquee Moon and Minimalist518 like this.

16. bernieee

bernieee TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Berkeley, CA
    hey folks, we just released another track from the upcoming album (out 8/3)! this one is the album opener and is one of Jojo's tunes (the other guitarist/singer in the band). definitely a more punk-y vibe and there's a pretty crazy Coltrane-inspired sax solo too! dig it:

https://curling.bandcamp.com/track/still-green

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.