Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Just purchased a Squier Affinity Telecaster HH

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by 2323bg, Jul 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 2323bg

2323bg TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2017
    Henderson, NV
    Hi fellow Telecaster fans. I just purchased a Squier Affinity Telecaster HH - primarily because I like Teles but also because this model's finish, pickguard and knobs was just a beautiful combination and I have not seen in my searches one other so configured. My question to all my fellow Tele lovers - what is the best way without a lot of mods to get a good country sound from this guitar. I am a drummer of 47 years and a singer-songwriter of less than that so I acknowledge that I still have a lot to learn - so my question. I know I could have purchased a "regular" Tele and would have been sure to get the "Tele" sound, but hey - I wanted THIS Tele and I am willing to work with what I got. The visual look of a guitar is very important to me, being a graphic artist and prop maker as well and then I work around anything I also purchased because I wanted this finish! Suggestions for a good country tone from this guitar?

2. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    Congrats. Work with the bridge pickup.

3. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Since you bought a guitar with 2 humbuckers I assume you mean "modern" country?

4. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Congrats! I like the look of those myself. Can you satisfy my curious and tell me how thick the body is?

5. 2323bg

2323bg TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2017
    Henderson, NV
    No, I want this "look" but the fliixibility of the "modern Country " or rock sound with the Traditional Tele sound. Possible with this guitar?

6. 2323bg

2323bg TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2017
    Henderson, NV
    Yeah sure - 1-1/2 inches.

7. 2323bg

2323bg TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2017
    Henderson, NV
    Thanks that might give me the flexibility I am looking for. Need a trad. country sound for the Retirement Home performances I do. I have (already) not always used at every performance - a Washburn 12 string acoustic; a Ibanex Jumbo body acoustic/electric; a Yamaha Pacifica and a 60's or 70's archtop electric. Pretty good for a drummer turned singer-songwriter eh?

Attached Files:

8. 2323bg

2323bg TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2017
    Henderson, NV

9. TheOneTrueSID

TheOneTrueSID TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2017
    USA
    The only thing that I can think of is maybe swap that bridge pickup for one that has coil splitting.

p.s. Nice stable you've got there.....

ToneGrail likes this.

10. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    If this guitar dropped in my lap and I wanted to do what you wanted to do, I would get a buck-to-single coil pup cover and put the right single in the bridge position.

Many people consider Tele neck singles played by themselves meh to begin with, so having a buck in there offers you some cool flexibility.

A future mod you MAY want to consider is a 3-saddle bridge, but I don't know what's available in 3 for this bridge configuration.

Is this guitar string-through or top loader?

11. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You also have reversed plate, but is it correct reverse?

First knob volume?

12. hippychip

hippychip TDPRI Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Florida
    Good looking guitar, but don't expect to get the Tele twang with those humbuckers. Bottom line is if you want to play traditional country you bought the wrong guitar!

13. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    You can play country on a BC Rich if you know how to play- I say keep following your heart, and replace the pickups if you can't dial them in after a while....

Durtdog likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.