Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Just played a CV '69 Tele Thinline, wow!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Chiogtr4x, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    0303035521_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg Little story, OK?

Went to a local NoVa ( Manassas, VA) music shop today, actually called NoVa Music, for the first time today ( after driving by it for years) to buy some acoustic strings.
    (Note: I have no $$ anymore/ for Instruments, or real need for anything but strings/picks/cables, and I usually just order online- but needed strings asap)

Anyhow, I'm checking out the string display rack ( small shop) and my right eye catches a '69 Tele Thinline, in line with other Fenders on the wall- this is one of my all time favorite looking Teles ( the Mahogany- bodied one) and remember checking out the original MIJ ( I think) RI's from the '90's
    Asked the 'kid' ( really, a nice kid) If I could check it out this guitar, and a Fender amp, and he said " Sure!"
    Just picked it up, tuned the guitar ( really!) to a Grateful Dead song ( in A) that was actually playing in the store.

Started to do some quick Country blues, and was knocked out at how light, and bright and twangy- this guitar is- felt sounded great ( but I'd need 10's on it!)
    It wasn't till I locked at the headstock tag to check price, that I realized I was playing a Squire. Very nice player, and really beautiful- comfy!
    The ' kid' plugged in a Squire CV Strat into another Fender amp and we played some fun, sloppy, slightly out of tune blues I E ( this happens when new guitars in shops actually get played for a few minutes, the strings move/ bend!)

Anyhow, I WANT this guitar! ( maybe, if I can get $$ together)
    Is it as good/ reliable/ put together as it seems?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Chip, MuddyDitch and CV Jee Beez like this.
  2. drumtime

drumtime TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2018
    the mountains of Virginia
    Yes, it is as good/reliable as it seems -- buy it! It's a relatively small amount of $$ for a pretty great guitar. A standard cable bill would add up to that much in a few months. Occasional dinners out for a year. Hell, a year's dry cleaning for some folks. Just do it!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  3. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Yes... All of the vm's and CV's are bargains...

TreblaNitram and Chiogtr4x like this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I did not play it long ( as its even being there, and ME being there, caught me by surprise, and I'm not really looking to buy...or WASN'T!)

I just plugged in, tuned up, started to pick. But I have been playing long enough to know if a guitar sounds and feels good- initially.
    I will have to go back, and revisit- a little more critically- but I dug it!
    Thanks!

5. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I can't offer you any advice on it, but it's one sweet looking guitar! I love that Thinline style - maybe I should build one!?

Hope things work out and you can grab it - sounds like it was meant to be! ;)

howardlo likes this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Is the Squier '69 a 24" scale? That's what I recall.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    Nope, regular Fender 25.5 "
    9.5" radius and medium jumbo frets

8. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    It's the older, gold or black Thinline that is 24.75".

[​IMG]

9. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    As far as I know the only 24" scale tele was a Fender Modern Player model from a few years ago. There were a few 24.75" Squiers like the VM (not CV) 69 Thinline. The CV is the regular 25.5" scale.

10. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    ...and now I have a big attack of GAS, thank you so much...

nicod98 likes this.
  11. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    That happens to me too, visiting this site... :twisted:, you probably know there's only one cure...:lol:

mimmo likes this.
  12. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

Jul 30, 2018
    Moorpark, CA
    This is the kinda stuff I'm looking for tonight....I need some retail therapy to lighten my mood a bit.

nicod98 likes this.
  13. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    Just to add fuel to the GAS, I've had my CVT for 7 years now. It gets fair amount of play out, and its standing up as well as my other US/MIM teles. I did swap in a set of Microcoils, CTS pots (50s wiring & no-load tone), a 5 way switch for series and HOOP, and a set of Rutters saddles; that have turned it into a 'stealth Tele'. Best part is its lightweight -- my back also loves it!

14. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010

:lol::lol::lol:
    Yes I do know the only cure, but each time I have to explain it to my wallet o_Oo_Oo_O

15. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    As you say, light, bright and really nice to play, got my son one a few years back, he loves it.

DSC00857.JPG

Chiogtr4x and tintag27 like this.
  16. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2007
    ME
    I have about 30 guitars, including quite a few AVRI and CS Fenders. I also have 4 Squire Classic Vibes and they are truly "keepers". 3 are early CV Teles - a 50's blonde, a CVC, and a Thinline. All are very good, but the Thinline is the most comfortable to play and has the nicest neck, which seems fuller and a bit more of a U shape vs. shallow C shape....especially compared to the CVC.

17. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    My son loves his. Really well put together, no manufacturing flaws or complaints. Really classy looking. He can get some great Gilmour out of it. Get it - if it's fun to play, it's fun to play. Or maybe you've got something else around the house that isn't getting used as much?

18. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    It could be worse... I have a wife o_O.. No I don't need another guitar, but it yelled "BUY ME", and so I did... :oops:

mimmo likes this.
  19. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    You bouth the CV Thinline??
    That's great news dude! Looking forward to seeing your NGD thread, well done!

20. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I got it a while ago, but I have 45+ telecasters... :D, and I'm still GAS-sing for a few more...

CV Thinline.jpg

mimmo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.