Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Just ordered my first Marshall amp.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ironwolf, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    When I ordered mine at GC the date I got was approximately May 20. I hope they come in sooner.

Jakedog likes this.

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Wow - they pushed them back exactly a month.

3. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

A common misconception.
    People ask, "Why would you ever need 100watts these days?"
    For massively clean and sparkly headroom.
    My 1964 Princeton Reverb sits in the vault because my marshalls do cleans just as well . . . .

telemnemonics likes this.

4. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    But Marshalls are a different flavor of clean...i mean what was the first Marshall? A modified Bassman circuit that offered more and tighter gain.

So, not saying a 100w Marshall isn't good/ can't do cleans well, but they are more identifiable in my mind for od/gain tones because that's what they were designed for.

if you want MEGA volume/clean headroom my brain says ... get a high powered twin, or an AC30

"Different strokes" I guess.

I mean you can use a Ferrari for low speed driving, but that's not what it was intended for.

5. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Identifiable to your mind, have you ever played a Marshall 6100?
    The clean channel was designed to get amazing clean tones, and it does.

Yah but then I don't own a Pinto just to go to the grocery store when my Ferrari will get me there just fine . . . .:lol:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018

6. Ironwolf

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Marshall cleans are different from Fender cleans and Vox cleans (both of which I like and have examples of). The 50 watts allows the headroom for a lot of clean volume before the breakup and crunch begins. Play with the volume and tone control to force it into crunching if you wish or reduce the amp's volume enough to require a boost or light drive pedal to kick it over. Hmm, sounds pretty much like how my Blues Deluxe operates, just a different tone.

7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    I just ordered the DSL20cr combo, in part 'cuz I didn't want to wait for an origin. But in reality, the origins may be more what I want. I don't need tons of gain. But I'm hoping I don't have to goose the clean channel much to get what I like. I'm used to working within limitations of amps, though. The idea of the do it all amp is foreign to me. Worst comes to worse, I can exchange it. Provided the origins actually ship within the MF 45 day period. :eek:

8. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    I hope I chose wisely getting the DSL over the origin. In part for the extra versatility. The origin is a one-trick pony. That's actually ok, for me. But for the money, if I can get in the range of sounds I truly like with some extras, it would be nice.

I had a 70s JMP 1987x, with a 70s 4X12 w/greenbacks ~20 years ago. Like an idiot, I sold it for pennies, compared to what it's worth now. But what it was good for (big, loud, crunchy with a creamy filling) was not what I was able to do.

Nothing. And I mean, NOTHING, I have played before or since can equal that setup in terms of tone and feel. I am in no way expecting the origin to be as good. Even if it's great, I don't think it's earthly possible to be either as good or the same as an actual plexi or JMP NMV.

At least that's what I keep telling myself. :p

9. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    No, I haven't played one, but from what I have heard they suffer from reliability issues.

And some of them are 6L6 which is a totally non Marshall thing...imo

One could argue that the supersonic was designed for High gain tones and does them really well...

Still wouldn't be my first pick...or my second and not even my third.

Idk I guess I'm typical in my thinking/generalizations on amps.

Fenders/Vox = Clean

Marshall/Mesa = Dirty

Of course there are plenty of other manufacturers... but those four brands are the measuring sticks for all others imho.

10. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    I have the new DSL40CR its a good amp and the Origin 50 head on order..but today hooked up my Bugera G20,,with el34 and played into the cabs i got for the Origin...now i know why i recorded and gigged this last go round...dang..with the broken in celestion greenies in a closed back crate 2x12 cab...best sound i heard since i started cycling tube amps this last 6 months...in the corner sits a satcked marshall dsl40cr a stacked mesa Express5:25, marshall Class 5 clone el34 pushin 7 watts, peavey delta Blues, Fender 68 CDR and Superchamp xd and this simple Bugera is kickin set up, got the cab for $50 loaded with the greenies..no one bothered to look in there and got the Bugera 2 years ago on Amazon when they ran em special for $220..i was like 20 watts el34 tubes for that price,,,i have been a/b ing all day and so far the G20 is nailing my tone for this go round..sorta gritty classic hard rock with blues and jazz and 3 songs pretty heavy

Attached Files:

• G20.jpg
      G20.jpg
      File size:
      122.6 KB
      Views:

11. Ironwolf

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    The Origin has shipped! With luck, I will have it shaking my walls by this time next week.

12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    I am anxious to read your review.

13. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2015
    Arkansas
    I played an Origin 20 last week at a music store. It has a Marshall OD sound which is nice. I worry about its clean volume. I want enough clean for gigging, then add distortion. My Barber Direct Drive does a good job through my DRRI. We are lucky to have so many choices!

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Great - can't wait to hear your thoughts.

15. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

You don't know Marshall.

16. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

Bake some cookies for the neighbors.

17. Ironwolf

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    The neighbors can take a running jump off a skyscraper into a sack of dog poo. The guy on one side plays his drums at 1 in the morning and the one on the other side works on his Harley at all hours. If I crack their foundations, so be it.

18. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

Not true... I have owned several and still own a great one (JCM800 2203) I still have an 18w clone also and have played through an absolute ton of others...

My opinion is that there is little better on earth for pure crunch...and for clean there are better options available.

Feel free to disagree, but do not make silly claims like "you don't know Marshall".

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Well given that Marshall cleans- which you seem unfamiliar with- are just about the best cleans on earth, it's fair to suggest that you've been missing out on 2/3 of what a good Marshall can do!

Back in the '60s they were designed to be loud, not to be distorted, and in fact they were advertised as having "distortion free sound".

While we all know that they also have great distorted sound, they really are stunning clean amps, and the first metal panel 100s from '69- '70 are clean almost all the way up.
    I've tried to get good cleans from 800s and they are not as nice that way, though players still use those amps for cleans.
    Really it was the 800 series that pushed the natural amp sound more toward distortion and away from optimal clean sounds.

There is no amp besides Hiwatt that can touch good non master Marshall cleans IMO!

RLee77 likes this.

20. Ironwolf

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Just got the shipping update. It's due at the GC I'm having it shipped to on Friday.

bftfender and telemnemonics like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.