Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Just ordered my first Marshall amp.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ironwolf, Apr 4, 2018.

1. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

You gotta crank it at least once, or you can't claim ownership... that's the rules of owning an EL34 Marshall ;)

It will be fun...and LOUD :D

3-Chord-Genius and SacDAve like this.

2. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Yeah, you gotta consummate that relationship.

bftfender and WetBandit like this.

3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Oh, it'll get cranked at least once. I do that with all my amps, just to check out what I have.

Cranking my AC15 is obnoxious but not dangerous. Cranking the Blues Deluxe is ridiculous, and makes every wall in the house rattle. Cranking my Crate V33 head on my 4x12 cab (on the back porch) rattles the whole freaking neighborhood. The Marshall, I expect, will knock airliners out of the sky.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    jack76, Jakedog, suthol and 4 others like this.

4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Looking forward to trying an Origin 20 when I can.

WetBandit likes this.

5. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

Yea...you better keep an eye out for homeland security!

And pray you don't belong to a home owners association...

Believer likes this.

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I never thought about this, but I do believe I've cranked every amp I've ever owned, same reason you mention. Just to see what they can do. The loudest was a 100W JCM900 half stack. The quietest (not really quiet) was a Vox AC4-TVH through an Egnater 1X12 cab. It was still pretty friggin' loud. AC15C1 like you said is pretty obnoxious. I can talk over a dimed AC10C1 but it's still loud enough to sound great.

7. Ironwolf

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I kick the volume on my current rig into the 100 to 105 dB range pretty regularly, that is way more than adequate, and it will probably, like my Fender, require very little volume dialed in on the amp.

8. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Waiting on mine,,,been running Marshall Class with el34 tube pushing 7 watts... have my cabs and speakers set for my Origin when it gets here,,,amp has 2 individual 16 ohm speaker outs...so cab 1 is an old crate closed back 2x12 i found , it has the made in england celestion greenbacks in..8 ohm run in series to 16 ohm.exactly what i was looking for.the speakers become part of my tone by breaking up a lil earlier than the V type and V30 and WGS stuff i have..to me this is key..i like natural amp OD and the slightly less efficient speaker lets me crank higher for controlled breakup.the class 5 has my tone dialed in so i will set it that way ...the cab with the greenies is pure Mojo..2nd cab is Egnater Tourmaster with whatever i want to blend with, probably leave the 80's in, again 8 ohm wired series to 16 ohm..so the load on the Origin will be just where Marshall wants it..to individual 16 0hm loads to 16 ohm cabs loaded with 2x12"..a very light weight portable gig rig to me..with the Tourmaster cab..it is convertable to open back middle or bottom so i can control my bass and let my greenies be mic's when needed..with the Class 5 this cab set up sounds stupid good..can only imagine when the Origin finally gets here.......come on !!!!!!! so i will consummate with very serious volume...

9. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I'm new to Marshalls too, but one, soon lead to two!

IMG_2344.JPG
    IMG_2367.JPG

Can't say that I'm in it for the cleans though!

10. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I have a Club and Country and it's a great sounding clean map. Also have an Artiste which is a really undervalued more Fender style map.

11. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2007
    St. Croix, USVI
    While not a true Marshall I have a Reinhardt 18 combo. That Marshall tone is the voice of the gods.
    I’ve had a few Marshalls but they were 45w or larger and did not fit into anywhere I ever played to take advantage of the power/tone.
    As much as I love Fender cleans the crunch of a Marshall gets my blood moving more

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    My jealous of you is MUCHO BIG Mister Ironwolf!

13. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    Best cleans ever out of my JTM45. Much more lively and bouncy than BF/SF Fender.

Tommy Biggs and Jakedog like this.

14. Ironwolf

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    That has been my impression of the JTM45 and these Origin amps (whose voicing has been modeled on the JTM). All the demos I've heard, using the amp's clean sound, have been astonishing.

Tommy Biggs and Jakedog like this.

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I want a full report when you get it. I think the 20 head would be a perfect amp for some things I'm doing.

My bass player has a two input 50 watter from the '70's or '80's that's had a few mods. I want to run it into my 4 x 12" sometime just to do it. As I recall it's a real good sounding amp.

16. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I tried the Origin and my feelings were that if you've never owned a classic Marshall amp you'll probably like it. If you've owned a really great, classic Marshall not so much. It's kind of like those TRRI and DRRI boxes for Marshall fans.

17. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I'm with you, sir. I lived on Marshall goodness for many years of gigging. Used them for the cleans almost 100% of the time. Real Marshall cleans? I'll take them over a clean Fender any day that ends in "Y".

18. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I found My white tolex JCM 800 4104 ( combo) as a door stop at a pawn shop in surrey BC , I love the warm , and tight sound I get , this one is an 83' and the celestions are dated to 3 days before the amp was built.

I hope you will not be dissapointed , congrats for sure!

19. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Yep, it surely is. I have a 50w plexi, and the cleans are awesome.

Jakedog likes this.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I don’t know when they’re going to be in as I’ve heard wildly different arrival dates by two local stores and then Sweetwater told me next week (April 23-ish ?) but whenever they are - 20 combo is mine. Or maybe the head...?

Jakedog likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.