Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Just ordered a suhr

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by tonedreamer, May 5, 2017.

1. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

Finally pulled the trigger on a classic T with SSCII. Can't wait til next Friday, I'll post pics of actual guitar then. 1494031930179.png

2. Lake Placid Green

Lake Placid Green Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Congrats. I had to wait 8 months for my custom classic T and it was so worth it. Really debated for a few months about whether to go Fender custom shop or Suhr and have been nothing but happy with the decision to go with Suhr. I have never played a Tele that I like better than my Suhr.

tonedreamer likes this.

3. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    BSB, Ashtray bridge, maple neck, all wrapped up by one of the most prestigious names in guitar making - may you have many years of happiness!

tonedreamer likes this.

4. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Congrats! Wud love to try one sometime

tonedreamer likes this.

5. Lake Placid Green

Sep 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania

6. jfu222

jfu222 Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2012
    Brooklyn
    Congratulations!! Wonderful guitars

tonedreamer likes this.

7. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    From what I hear, they are fantastic guitars. I just can't get over that headstock. Totally fugly IMO.

S00NERMAN likes this.

8. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    All I know is from pictures, but I've seen a ton of Suhr pics.
    I don't know about their Tele or how it compares to others.
    But they make one hell of a guitar, their top end is
    Creeping up on Paul Reed Smith, and just as pricey.
    But that level of beauty never comes cheap.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Congratulations!
    Suhrs are very well built, great sounding guitars,

10. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

I've played two Suhr's.. though both strat type.. Im amazed at the build quality and how solid it feels.. I just couldnt bond with the compound radius of the ones I played. I like one radius throughout the whole neck, but I would love to check out more Suhr guitars, particularly a tele.

fit and finish are top notch..

11. Lake Placid Green

Sep 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    You can get whatever fretboard radius and neck profile you want. Tom Andersons are really nice also but for my money no one makes a better Tele or strat than Suhr. Suhr made his name building Mark Knopfler's guitars in the 80s and then went on to run the Fender custom shop for a number of years

Telemaniac Jack likes this.

12. yellowv

yellowv Tele-Meister

Aug 14, 2009
    South Florida
    Telemaniac Jack likes this.

13. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    True, but you can only choose the radius if you go the custom build route; the Pro Series are all the compound radius. Anderson also makes a great guitar, but they do not make a traditional Tele since they don't use a traditional bridge.

Actually back when John was building the Pensa-Suhr models back in the 1980s he was originally sourcing bodies and necks (done to his specs, and shipped unfinished) from Tom Anderson. Anderson had just split from Schecter and was mainly doing bodies, necks and pickups at first with only the occasional assembled guitar. Knopfler's famous carved top Pensa-Suhr was Anderson parts - but John Suhr hand-carved the top on it (I believe Suhr was building it as his personal guitar, but Knopfler saw it and wanted it). Later Pensa-Suhrs used parts done to their specs by Warmoth. They were running out of Rudy Pensa's music shop in NYC and didn't have space to mill wood parts from raw wood.

Suhr parted ways with Rudy Pensa (owner of Rudy's Music Stop in NYC) around 1991, moved to California and began designing amps with Bob Bradshaw (of the giant effect racks fame) under the name Custom Audio Electronics for a few years, then joined the Fender Custom Shop as a Senior Master Builder (still I believe the only person ever hired in at the "Senior Master Builder" level although others have been hired in at "Master Builder" level) but he didn't run the CS. Then left to start his own company around 1995/96.

vgallagher and dylanw like this.

14. Lake Placid Green

Sep 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania

15. Lake Placid Green

Sep 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for clarifying. That is a much better response than mine.

16. cyberglad

cyberglad TDPRI Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Morges, Switzerland
    I tested exactly the same one last saturday, marvellous, even unplugged it already sounds great: snappy attack, perfect intonation, amazing neck feel, it's on my christmas shopping list:

17. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

1504307666633.jpg

Here she is with my new George Benson 1x12 fender cab

18. Mike Stone

Mike Stone TDPRI Member

May 26, 2016
    Gothenburg
    Congrats! A total side note but there's a really funny podcast called Guitar Wank that's hosted by Troy McCubbin, Scott Henderson and Bruce Forman. They've got a couple of episodes with John Suhr. Lots of interesting stuff in there.
    In one of the episode John said that during his time at the Custom Shop they (the master builders) were told to take necks and bodies from the regular production line instead of making their own to save time and money lol.

19. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    But nowhere near as ugly as a james tyler eh Nubs?
    Congrats OP, nice choice!

Attached Files:

20. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    OMG WTF is that?? Pure blasphemy! No way in hell!

Lefty Addams likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.