Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Just need a clean amp, how hard can it be?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by omlove, Dec 1, 2017.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Sooner or later ... in every amp thread :lol:

2. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

He loves fender clean tones and wants zero 'rattle' on the low e...., its a no brainer

DaphneBlue likes this.

3. omlove

omlove TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    new york
    Funny you guys mentioned that... For reasons I don't know, deluxe reverb and twin reverb can be found used for even lower prices than princeton reverb. aren't they supposed to be bigger, louder, more headroom versions than the princeton?

you are not suggesting a gigantic heavy piece of furniture in my living room with volume always on 1.5 are you:)

4. omlove

omlove TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    new york
    I am going to check out some used cube 30x or 40gx. Reason is I like what I heard from playing Katana and Blues Cube but thought they are kind of overkill power and volume wise. Thanks.

5. popthree

A twin is the quintessential fender clean delivered in mass quantities. It wont fart out at "above 6" princeton volume...unless its defective.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I love Twins but omlove is living in a NYC apartment. Does he want to lug one up the stairs?

7. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.

8. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

Mustang III or IV using the Twin model will get you there, weighs less than a Twin and is easier to dial in at lower volume levels.

9. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    This isn't hard. Jazz guys have a ton of good solid state options, The Roland is one, but Steel guys love Evans amps. I have a Henricksen Jazzamp that has a really fantastic clean tone and it has an eq section that can get you the famous blackface fender midscoop. I also have an acoustic image amp that's high power, light, and extremely versatile. I've gigged with it for well over decade.

Try a Quilter.

Or look at bass amps--bass amps are the domain of high power class D, and they are usually made with slappers in mind, so they have a surprising amount of high end and really flexible eq options.

10. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

May 14, 2013
    greece
    oohhh thats a realy crazy good clean amp..i use to play some funky chords in a studio that i use to gig.but its not a tube amp and the people dont use to like them

11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Put an Eminence Copperhead in the Princeton, set the volume at 4, treble at 7-8 and the bass at 3-4

12. popthree

Once....and no one would steal it

thegeezer and JustABluesGuy like this.

13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Never met a tube Fender combo ,or in fact any brand tube combo,I couldn't get a great clean sound out of.And I am talking about amps ranging from 4 to 135 watts.

I have also never had any rattling,farting or any other similar nonsense.

You must be doing something seriously wrong.

ellisvertellis likes this.

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I love a stock HRDX for big clean thwack

15. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    No , its the other way around ! The PR back in the day was an entry level amp for pretty much a non working player. Even fender did not bill it as a gig workhorse.

Then the world fell off it's axis and stopped spinning for a couple days. Then when it got back in the right orbit the first thing we learned was that the Twin was too loud and too heavy so the PR became the king of the hill.

But oddly, PR owners around the world are still asking the same question, how do I clean it up and get some more headroom ?

And the answer is still the same. TWIN !

But in all reality, any of the Fender badge amps from 40 watts on up will provide a reasonable increase in clean gain ( headroom) Many love the 22 watt DR and say that it too can provide proper headroom. I personally find them to be right on the edge or just below at ample volume.

Wattage to many defines volume but in actuality it is more related to clean gain in a useful setting . We don't run our Twins on 10. 3 to 5 is more like it , where clean gain lives.

Also consider this, the 40 watt 2 x 6L6 Hot Rod deluxe and Blues deluxe series are the #1 selling Fender amps for going on 25 years now, +/-, there is a reason for this.
    reasonably lite-weight, reasonable clean gain for many stages and a fairly small footprint for this 1 x 12 amp.

If you are up to the task of carrying around a 70 pound 2 x 1 2, 4 x 6L6 amp, you will never complain about headroom or clean gain ever again. You will be complaining about other things, artifacts of 70 pounds , 2x12's and 4 / 6l6s . Some people refer to these artifacts as transformers , heavy iron.

Pick your poison!:)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    jimytheassassin likes this.

16. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2012
    belgium
    Seriously? A Twin?? I'm with Nick Fanis on this one.

The farting out thing with Fender amps is usually too much bass in the mix IMO. I can not believe a Princeton is not powerful enough to produce a nice clean tone in a living room! A lot of people use the Fender EQ the wrong way. There's nothing wrong with turning the bass and treble down to 1 or 2 on the dial if it sounds right. Also, if you want clean, always start with using the "low" input.

I've had plenty of 10 to 15 watt tube amps and they're all very loud; loud enough to produce a clean sound in a living room at least.

If the windows are rattling, you're using too much bass or you're setting the amp way too loud… ;)

17. telepraise

telepraise TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Palmetto, Florida
    There is a special edition of the PRRI marketed through Sweetwater that comes stock with a 12 inch Eminence Cannabis Rex. I put one of those speakers in an old Blues Junior and it is a monster. I have a DRRI which has incredible clean tones. I replaced the stock Jensen alnico speaker with an Eminence Allesandro because the Jensen was a little farty (not terrible) in the low notes. I think the farty lows can come from the speaker. The eminence speakers have a very tight, powerful bass and little smoother highs. They also push a lot of sound per watt.

18. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2012
    belgium
    A loud speaker van certainly get you better clean tones, that is true! Good tip!

19. Dobronaut

Dobronaut TDPRI Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Leicestershire UK
    I sympathise regarding the rattle on the Superchamp. I never did get rid of it on mine, and eventually sold it. I'm currently enjoying a Boss Katana 50. I don't find it trebly or thin, you just need to spend some time with it, and the speaker needs to break in. The clean setting can be very tweedy if you want it, without rattle or flub. And the .5 watt setting is perfect for home use. The acoustic channel is also great. I've gigged my mandolin with it. Best amp I've had in 40 years gigging.

20. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I regularly went higher than 6 on mine, but you have to develop 1) touch sensitivity in your playing and 2) tweak the amp a little.

Also reconcile yourself to not have pristine clean. But the cardinal rule is, volume up, eqs down. Pushing the volume and lowering the eqs will give you different tones. Like playing an acoustic electric at different volumes and lowering or raising mids

Mine had a larger PT due to 240v conversion. I had a reconed CTS alnico original speaker which was spiky but smooth. Rebiased JJs, it cranked.

You can tweak the amp for more volume/clean. As I said, people have this 'everything dimed' thing which really won't work except for a thrash metal band. Even on 4 it's a loud amp - would have been gigging loud 'in the day' for country or pop bands'.

It has two inputs with reduced sensitivity on the second for humbucker or more powerful pickups and '10' is for weaker pickups.

My Marshall is the same - I run the master up, 9-10 but clean channel volume on 4-5 and treb-mid-bass on 5-6-5. And drive 5-6. Monstrously think, chimy grindt tone - but not clean.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.