Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

just mixin your .02

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by popthree, Jan 11, 2019.

1. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

ok i know i'm a knucklehead at this stuff, but i'm really trying to learn and get better. (swingin that hammer #stuffwoodmansez)

opinions wanted, and thank you!

2. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Sounds really nice! Enjoyed that. Thanks for posting.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

Jul 30, 2018
    Moorpark, CA
  4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I like it. The vocals sound like your in a large empty room though. Don't know if you were going for that sound or not, but I back down the effect just a little bit.

popthree likes this.
  5. popthree

i am kinda tinkering with 'going for that' kind of a sound with this.. but maybe i have a bit too much there. i was dialing down the frequencies that are affected by it and got it down where it is only hitting 1.3k hz and below to 230 hz but i may need to reduce the room a bit. kind of trying to find a baratone version of that Cat Power vocal sound

Zepfan likes this.
  6. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Gotham City
    I am another fan of this song, recording and mix. I do think you ought to reconsider the delay/reverb you have on the lead vocal. I found it somewhat distracting, especially near the beginning. Not clear to me whether it is the intensity of the effect or if you have the right delay.reverb. What effect/plugin are you using on the vocal?

popthree likes this.
  7. popthree

Just a stock reverb plugin from reaper, its called intimate vocal. I probably need to back the room down about 15-20 cents

8. popthree

it's quite a bit drier now. i dialed the room size down and pulled the wet mix down a piece

Zepfan likes this.
  9. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Dec 10, 2007
    Greetings from Sunny New Jersey
    You have a cool, unique sounding voice and that effect that you are using doesn't do it any favors. I'd get rid of it and us a gentle plate reverb or an IR of a small room, dialed in lightly (20%, more or less).

If you haven't used IR (impulse response) files before, you can read about them here. Basically it is a .wav file (or .AIF on a Mac, I guess) that represents the unique sound of a space. You need a convolution reverb plugin to load it into. There are a few free ones out there and Reaper has one in the Cockos folder called ReaVerb. I have a favorite IR file called wood_recording_room.wav - it's a nice, warm sounding room that has a short reverb time. It would help you achieve that intimate feel that you are going for without coloring the sound of your voice. I have no idea where to find it online anymore, but if you are interested, I'll upload it to my Onedrive account so you can download it. Let me know.

Nice work - I like your song very much.

popthree likes this.
  10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    You haven’t decided what should be primary, words/message or music

11. popthree

@Frontier9 thank you for the encouraging words, and thank you for the generous offer of sharing that IR file with me. I would love to have it if you can be troubled to make it available.

i did find a download on the reaper site for more of those IR files. the one you mentioned wasn't in that so i would still love to have it. sounds like exactly what i'm looking for. i did find one that i kind of like, and i have applied it to my recording. i think it is an improvement.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  12. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    I'm late to the party here, and I'm listening on the laptop in the house ... will give it a thorough listen tomorrow in the Woodshed. Hard to comment much about the production from here, but it's evident you're improving your technique and expanding your creative vision with each completed project. To use another of my aphorisms, Now you're digging' where there's taters!

popthree likes this.
  13. popthree

thank you woodman. if i am getting better at this, it is largely due to feedback from patient and kind individuals like yourself on this forum.

14. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Nice. Very nice! Well done!

popthree likes this.
  15. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    Nice I do like that.

But and it maybe just to my ears, when you sing the long held word "alright" for example against the D chord it gets some sort of metallic ringing going on, possibly coming from the verb and it could be pulled down by sweeping the EQ and notching it out a bit, I have cabbages for ears and pretty bad tinnitus but I'm thinking it's around the 5K area somewhere.

Where is the acoustic sitting, through the monitors and cans it sounds like it is in the same space as the vocal.

I wonder how the voice would go with the verb out and a bit of slapback delay instead and the a smear of verb on the master to add a shimmer to the whole mix.

It's getting late here in Oz and the ears are tired so maybe I'm just hearing things.

My uneducated .03

popthree likes this.
  16. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Yeh, thats nice. I could be wrong but it sounded like you had a lot of compression on the whole recording? Also it sounded to my ears like I was waiting for the bass and mid tones to come flooding in. So maybe too much compression and not enough mids or bass. Nathan Nyqvist in his book The EQ and Compression Formula talks about the 4-zone mix theory, where you divide the song into lows 0 - 200 Hz, Mids 200 - 1kHz, High mids 1kHz - 7kHz, and highs 7 kHz - 20 kHz. You start with broad brush sweeps of these frequency bands ( theres more to it of course, but this is a rough guide). I'm listening on my MDR7506s.

One other suggestion, just me, but I could really hear an organ in places in that song, like a Bob Dylan number. Just my 2c.

Well done on the song, its got a great feel to it.

popthree likes this.
  17. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Dec 10, 2007
    Greetings from Sunny New Jersey
    @popthree, and anyone else that is interested, here's a link to the wood_recording_room.wav IR. I wish I could give credit to the person that created it, but it doesn't come up in any searches - on the internet or in my aging brain.

popthree likes this.
  18. popthree

Thank you! Gonna head back to my little space and grab this here in a minute. Much appreciated.

Frontier9 likes this.
  19. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    Finally got a good listen. I missed the part in the program where the uber-reverb was happening, but it sounds fairly dry now. Have you tried slapback echo on the vocal? Gives a nice sense of space without the muddle of reverb. EQing your reverb to roll off the highs and lows can reduce that muddle, as can controlling your decay time so one phrase doesn't wash over the next. And if your 'verb plugin has predelay, you can slap about 30 ms on the vocal so the note/word has a chance to form before the reverberation kicks in.

What are you using for bass? MIDI? It's effective production to hold it back in the early going, but when it comes in, it could be a bit more authoritative ... it drops out on the vocal build at 1:51 where it seems it should be driving things. Same with the section at 3:13 — seems like that section should chug pretty vigorously until you drop it down at 3:24. ... Also: Bringing the drums volume up and down to follow the laid-back and forward sections would help develop the dynamics. Are you using your automation?

As Dave mentioned, the acoustic sounds right on top of the vocal. You could get a bigger soundstage by spreading it out to the right side of the pan field and steer whatever other sweetener tracks to the the left. And Rob's got a good point on the organ ... that kind of part ain't Bach, just sustained chords coming in and out at strategic times, could be effective harmonic icing on the cake.

But critique aside, it sounds like you're getting a sense of what you're doing, and that's how you grow as a producer: refining what works for *your* music.

popthree likes this.
  20. popthree

As always you guys have great suggestions, observations and insights. It's helping me a lot. I know a lot or All of what has been pointed out is correct...i think I kind of already suspected it too, but I needed to hear it from someone else....im not always confident in my own ears. I'm still trying to train my ears on how to hear these things. I have hearing aids too so I listen a number of ways, with and without them to find my way down the path. I burned a CD so today when we are out running errands I'll give it another listen in the car....did the old hifi listen last night. Then I think I'm going to take a break from it for a few days and work on something else....so when I come back to this I will be able to hear stuff better. Thank you everyone, sincerely, thank you.

oh @woodman i'm actually playing a bass guitar in this... albeit a tentative bass guitar. now that i'm kind of getting a bit of a grasp on how to do this, i may end up rebooting the entire recording. i'm still just using a funky bass loop from that tony brock rock drummer CD i have. i may end up pulling the trigger on EZ Drummer or some such and try to make the foundation stronger. i have a bunch of songs i want to record so it would probably be a good investment.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Frontier9 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.