Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Just got my first hearing aids...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rdwhitti, Feb 20, 2018.

1. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Can I call you an idiot with a smile in my voice and have you not be offended by it? :D
    Jakedog likes this.

2. HoodieMcFoodie

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    For some reason these two posts made me sad. 45 is too young to need hearing aids.
    dr_tom likes this.

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Works for my wife...
    Andy B, mad dog, dr_tom and 1 other person like this.

4. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    "Does anybody hear have hearing aids and wear them on a daily basis? How long did it take you to get used to them?"

Not yet, but I'm headed there fast.
    boris bubbanov likes this.

5. HoodieMcFoodie

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Jakedog likes this.

6. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2013
    I got my first pair in my 40's. Left ear hearing loss, probably due to environmental exposure when younger (factory work, loud bands, etc.) Then in my late 40's I got a pneumonia virus which destroyed the auditory nerve in my right 'good' ear. Left me with 100% hearing loss in that ear. I was eventually referred to my local hospital's audiology department by my ENT for extensive testing and an assessment. I qualified for a cochlear implant in my right ear since it was 'dead'. However, she recommended I go with a set of high end Phonak hearing aids. The master sits in my good ear and the one on my right side sends a signal to it via Bluetooth. I can pair them to my car, my smartphone, etc. which helps bc you can't use headphones anymore. It is the oddest feeling to hit play on my phone and suddenly hear music inside my head.

It took me a few months to get used to them. I had repeated sessions with the audiologist where they would do things like crumple paper and stack dishes until it didn't drive me nuts. Once adjusted properly for me, they became indispensable.

My biggest issues are around 'tone' and volume. I play in an 80's cover band and I constantly fight with my drummer over his pounding. I can't wear hearing protection and still hear, so I need to keep the hearing aids in. Guys around you may need to adjust to you. I also find my acoustic instruments less enjoyable. I've had my Fender acoustic since 1979, and it is beautifully aged and mellow but to my 'ear' it no longer sounds quite right, although everyone around me assures me it sounds great. Same with my ukulele. I had the same issues with my electrics, amps and stage rig but my bassist and good friend always acts as my service dog and helps me get my levels right or assures me if I'm anxious about tone.

I'm heavily dependent on the weather for how I do. My sinuses are 'problematic' at best, so there are days when everything seems cut or muffled. Then I'll have a good sneeze or blow out with my nose held shut and everything will get perfectly clear for awhile. It's all a trial but I thank God I can still hear my daughter's voice. My audiologist said the main drawback to a cochlear implant was I'd hear clearly but my daughter would sound 'odd' (in her words, to quote Styx, 'domo arrigeato Mr. Roboto' sort of thing... I guess she meant artificial and strange).

I'd suggest you keep at it, work with your audiologist to adjust the volume and eq curve on your aids, and give yourself time to adjust. if you've got a friend who knows the sounds you like, trust them to help you feel good that you've still got that.

Best of luck.

7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I can appreciate that, but I'm not complaining. I have hyper excellent vision, and I keep myself in good physical shape. I'll be alright. :)

8. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    I've thought about getting them, my main concern would be for my guitar playing. Sounds like there not the best for guitar playing from reading a few post. Maybe it would be better to just stick to getting a bigger Amp every 5 years.
    rdwhitti likes this.

9. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    This is interesting to me, because I believe I experienced something similar in 2011, yet my wife (who is a NP) and my ENT both said it was unlikely.

I got sick, but never got sick enough to go to the hospital. My wife said it was just sinus/allergy related. But it lasted for about 4 or 5 days, then I lost my voice. I struggled through the sickness/sinuses/allergies for another week, and the voice didn't come back for a month. I never had ear pain, but I was in such ears/nose/throat/eyes overload that I didn't recognize that my hearing had become muffled too.

When all of that was over, the hearing didn't recover.

I tried to tell my wife, then the ENT, then the audiologist... that this was going on because of me being sick. But all anyone would say is "loud music... loud guitars... playing in bands... going to concerts....". No one would consider that a virus of some type had caused the immediate damage.
    pdmartin and dr_tom like this.

10. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Meister

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.

Somebody had to say it...
    dr_tom and Jakedog like this.

11. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt
    They dont know if I was born with it or lost my hearing due to an early sickness but ive been hearing impared my whole life.

I was really fussy about hearing aids growing up. Went through a rebellious bout in high schools and refused to wear them.

Started wearing them again in college but like most nice things I had, they ended up on top of my car during loading and forgotten until they bounced down the road.

Havnt worn them in years (pretty expensive for a kid to replace.) Now I surround myself with really patient people loI.

The ol' looking people in the eye while giving a smile and nod has gotten me through years of communication...
    rad1 likes this.

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Holic

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I have a hearing aid, my Mesa Boogie 5:25 Express. It's never not loud enough. That said; I'm noticing that my high frequency loss is affecting my ability to hear my acoustic as well as I'd like. My right ear has the greatest loss and it's the ear that winds up closer to the sound hole when I look down the neck because of an uncorrectable vision problem in my left eye from a detached retina. Maybe the answer is to bring my acoustic to the audiologist and pick a hearing aid that helps me hear it better. Right now I'm milking the hearing loss for all it's worth. In bed, I can put my left ear down on the pillow and not have to listen to all night Olympics, news channels, HGTV, or my wife.

13. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2012
    Linden, MI
    I've had them for a little over a year now. I was able to have the distortion adjusted out but still have not gotten use to them. I only wear them when I'm going to be out. Not at home, not while playing, not on a gig.
    Andy B likes this.

14. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    I had them given to me a few years ago as a result of hearing loss. Wore them when I was required to by my supervisors, but that was it. They've been sitting in a drawer ever since I left though. They didn't help much in my case because I also had some sort of brain stem dysfunction that occasionally stopped my brain from interpreting speech (result of chemical exposure and high pitch noise exposure). Oh well.

15. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    I have been wearing them for many years. They do the job. A good pair can be fine tuned for you specific needs. The audiologist plugs them into a computer program created by my hearing test ato add only where my loss is.

I can't hear high frequencies without them.

Playing in loud bands in the 60s and 70s was the culprit.
    dr_tom and rad1 like this.

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    I've had three friends that spent top dollars, ( I think) on hearing aids, none of them had much success. What I meant by top dollar, was one of the fellas I knew spent $7800 on his back in the early 2000s, another around $8000 a couple of years later, and one at about the same time spent over $9000 on his. The one who spent the most during the course of his normal work day as a supervisor in a processing plant would have to enter a noisy environment, then back to an office environment. The last time I talked to him, he said he can't hear anything without them, and not much with them. The guy who spent the money in the middle seemed to be okay with them on the golf course, but anywhere else, forget it. Just couldn't untangle all the noises that occur in daily life.

My wife who is very soft spoken has been after me for a long time to get hearing aids. She doesn't understand if she would speak up just a little I could hear her. We all speak at the level we're used to though, and it's hard to modify. Most men, I can hear just fine, some women too, but there is a certain pitch that some women have to their voice that really gives me a problem hearing them.

The television gives me fits if it's one of those documentaries that plays some silly background music at nearly the same level as the voice over guy is speaking at. I find this very distracting. If what they are saying is so uninteresting that they need to bolster it with really bad music, why not just forget it?

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Well there is that too, but remember the children, I can't give you any more info about it. Sort of like condoms promoting safe sex. That's just plain silly because I knew a guy who was shot by a jealous husband while wearing one.
    Jakedog and tery like this.

18. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Take the time to adjust to them . My father got hearing aids and refused to wear them because it "made everything too loud" . To compensate he would turn up the volume on his TV so loud that no one in the house could carry on a conversation !

19. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Chandler Arizona
    At my last audiologist visit at the VA was told I could have hearing aids; but I thought I would hold off. I have a problem distinguishing consonants and I have a disability for tinnitus, (no hearing protection firing M-14 in 1966). Rethinking it as I just found out I now need to pay a copay for meds of $7.00 thru Express Scripts ( military prescription service) up from $0.00 last and prior years. With these changes; I better hop on it while I still can. (Have a combat disability but the way things are going we may lose or have our benefits reduced.) (Viet Nam Vets; remember the things we were told when we enlisted/drafted?)

20. schmee

schmee Tele-Holic

Jun 2, 2003
    I need them but not many I know with them like them ....Even more so for musicians. A bassist I used to work with had fancy ones, he had a remote in his pocket to adjust them They drove him crazy, and he drove me crazy... constantly adjusting, thinking the rest of the band was too loud, etc. The band and me walked away.
    I need something for general use, I hear conversations fine, but not in a restaurant etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.