Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Just got my first hearing aids...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rdwhitti, Feb 20, 2018.

1. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2016
    TX
    ...and everything seems so strange. I know they take getting used to, but this is all new to me. Does anybody hear have hearing aids and wear them on a daily basis? How long did it take you to get used to them? How much experimenting did you have to do with filters, eq settings, volumes, etc.? According to my hearing test my hearing is good at low frequencies and then drops off very rapidly, and they called it moderate to sever hearing loss. With the new fitting it seems like now I am hearing things that I haven't heard in 20-30 years or longer and it can be irritating at times. Even just the soft rustle of papers on a desk seems loud! I have a 60-day trial period so have quite a while it seems.

Guitaryellow likes this.

2. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    I’ve had hearing aids for 4 years and have never gotten used to them. No matter how we set them they distort, I hear digital artifacts and worst of all I can’t listen to my car stereo. I have a wonderful audiologist who has spent countless hours with me trying to adjust them. Acoustic or electric guitars forget it. At this point I wear them only when I absolutely have to. And yes all the wrong things seem too loud and overpower what you are actually trying to listen to.

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I will need hearing aids sooner rather than later. I'm not actively trying to put it off... I'm just not quit in the range of it being absolutely necessary yet. But things are more and more muffled everyday, and I'm missing quite a bit.

I have heard about systems that can be connected to and adjusted by phone apps. This is really intriguing to me.

I have been tested by a real audiologist, but I haven't yet talked to one about hearing aids.

4. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2016
    TX
    I had not seen an audiologist in 5 years and she said at the time that I was not quite to the point where she thought they would help. Now it has become so difficult to understand speech from half the people I work with and it is frustrating to the point that I had to do something. I am at least going to give it a good try.

Wrong-Note Rod likes this.

5. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2016
    TX
    I've heard basically that same story from many others including my father and brother. But they was to the point that I had to do something or give up.

6. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2016
    TX
    By the way mine can be controlled from my phone and can even stream music and phone calls. More toys!!!

T-bone Ted likes this.

7. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2016
    TX
    I have been wearing them since 5pm and had to take them out just now. I guess it takes time to adjust to the sensation and not get tired. Right now I feel like a train ran over me.

8. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    About 3 or 4 years now. It took at least 7 or 8 trips in to have the programs readjusted before they were ok. Keep in mind your brain will keep adjusting how you hear to what it was like before you got hearing aids, meaning, until your brain stops that you have to readjust them.

I got tired of always asking, what? So I got them. I use them much of the time but there are situations I don’t.

I did not use them for music at first, now I don’t like playing guitar without them because the highs are gone without them.

I turn mine off when in a loud crowded room. I don’t use them on bicycle rides or when I’m alone unless I’m playing guitar.

The hassle of hearing aids is outweighed by being able to hear people and not have to do what we all do, nod and smile when we don’t hear them well enough.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    This is my dad's experience too, but he is 88 and only got them a couple years ago. It seems like it is like other things, you get what you pay for. My MIL has gone through a bunch to find the right ones. Of course they are the most expensive ones.

Mechanic and Toto'sDad like this.

10. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Tele-Meister

May 21, 2010
    Elizabethtown, KY
    I've had mine for about 3-4 weeks now, they haven't been too bad to get used to. I've been back to my audiologist a couple of times and she has tweaked some things and put in some background filter to help with my ringing.

I've played one gig since getting them and got along fine.

I've been around loud farm equipment all my life and no one told us to use hearing protection 60 years ago when I was driving 2 cylinder John Deere tractors with no cab!

The main reason I went ahead and tried them is because the ringing 24-7 was about to drive me insane! It doesn't go away with the aids, but they make it more tolerable...

11. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I'm "only" 45... but I'm working through a masters degree, and when attend class, I have to sit front/center... or I will not be able to hear the professor when the HVAC turns on.

I'm constantly cupping my ear when trying to hear other people, and I have become accustomed to saying, "I'm sorry, could you repeat that please? I wasn't able to hear you."

I always make sure to assign the fault to me, and apologize about it. I know people hate repeating themselves.

Pappy Yokum and dr_tom like this.

12. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Occasionally... (once a week?)... I swallow just right, and get a hyper-charge of excellent hearing... the way it used to be when I was younger... for about 20 seconds, but then it fades away. It's fun, then sad.

jimmytheshoe, dr_tom and Darkness like this.

13. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    I started losing the hearing in my right ear 50 years ago..I bought an aid and was impressed with the results except I couldn't deal with it in the noisy factory..
    Now I have them for both ears..I wore them all the time at first and became used to them..So used to them that I forgot to remove them before a shower several times..Also at bed time..
    The VA doc said my brain needed to adjust to them, so wear them all the time..
    Now I seldom wear them..Only when I need to conduct important business..Or when playing acoustic..

imwjl likes this.

14. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2008
    45 south
    Yes I wear them and they do take a lot of getting used to. Mine have a volume control button on each, left side for down and right for up.
    They fit in the ear so you don't notice I'm wearing them. I have to constantly adjust the sound levels when watching tv or wearing headphones
    and they do pick up background noise and amplifly it. When the levels are set right they are great. I've had one pair before which hung over the ear
    but after 5 years they stopped working. These in-ear jobbies are not really suited to my hearing loss, but I was adamant I didn't want the over the ear
    type again as I kept flicking them off my ears and searching on my hands and knees in supermarkets etc for a stray one, like a dick.
    I can function without them and at times I enjoy the peace and quiet of partial deafness, and when I'm wearing them it is good to be able to turn
    my hearing volume up or down.
    It has changed my pitchy singing for the better as I can now hear myself clearly.

15. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2008
    45 south
    I have this problem too, and I've found that if I pinch my nostrils together and blow they gently pop and equalize the pressure and improve my
    hearing. The audiologist expained what the physical eardrum was doing but I've since forgotten. It's like when traveling up hills and hearing
    your ears pop.

16. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I once saw an older couple having an argument and finally the guy made a grand gesture and pulled his hearing aids out.

End of argument.

Mic dropped!

I almost cried I laughed so hard.

That aside, my buddy has severe hearing loss from running a motorcycle shop and being a drummer (he's about 50-60db down at 1k). He's been using a super high tech set of hearing aids for a few years now and he says the same thing about crinkling water bottle noises, paper, etc. But the benefits outweigh the problems in his eyes (and ears). And he can have a normal conversation now, which was near impossible before.

While I don't wear them I can imagine they could be very annoying if not setup properly. Best of luck to you.

17. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    Mine are the high tech in ear type. Adjustable, I currently have 3 programs and off. I have never adjusted well to them. I can play acoustic with them in but I don’t care for the sound. My problem is that I hear all the digital hash/artifacts as notes or sounds decay. Stereo is impossible, it always sounds like the chorus pedal is on.
    So I only wear them when I need to. My audiologist and the manufacturer’s rep have not been able to correct for this. I hear well enough at home as long as no one is whispering.

18. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA

I agree with your buddy, benefits outweigh the problems. I also agree, paper, water bottles being crushed and a host of similar sounds have me reaching up and turning them off.

Bottom line I’m glad I have them.

Steve Ouimette likes this.

19. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2003
    ohio
    After a hearing test, my audiologist looked me in the eyes and said, "JB, are you reading my lips!"
    Tinnitus.

Pappy Yokum likes this.

20. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    This had been very enlightening. I always thought hearing aids were the result of unprotected phone sex...

drf64, T-bone Ted, drlucky and 6 others like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.