Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Just bought a partscaster and need help!

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Valentineregard, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Valentineregard

Valentineregard TDPRI Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Utah
    New to the forum.
    I just bought this thing and have no clue what’s going on with it. I was hoping someone could help me identify some of that parts on it.
    No decal on the neck but it’s stamped with an N serial number. I haven’t opened the cavities completely I will post more pictures when I get home.

Attached Files:

3-Chord-Genius and Nubs like this.

2. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Can't help you but that's one sweet looking guitar! My favorite color!

3. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Holic

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    First question, how does it sound? Second question, did you pay a lot for it?

If the first answer is positive, and you got a good deal, then you scored a winner.

The guitar indeed looks to be a possible non US body with odd knobs and a butchering of a solder job under the control plate. All of which are easy fixes and should cause no sleepless nights; except of course it's origins, which again means very little if the first two answers are in your favour.

BTW what does it say on the neck just above where it joins the body?

Only you will know if this was a deal or not once you play it.

OK, back to the heading on your post. What exactly are you needing help on?

Valentineregard likes this.

4. Valentineregard

Feb 13, 2018
    Utah
    Yes! It actually sounds incredible that’s why I bought it. It’s definitely not pretty. Probably a teenager with a soldering iron assembled the electronics. The neck is probably my favorite tele neck I’ve ever felt it has very jumbo fret wire which is odd.
    I only paid $200

The neck heel reads “Serial Number N 234301 “
    The neck feels like a spot on fender USA neck. if that serial number is right that would make sense. But no decals, so that’s also strange..

What I needed help understanding is if that body matches this neck or what exactly is going on here? Maybe it’s a squier body? I haven’t seen too many actual fender bodies with that color, it seems like squier is using it a lot lately.

5. Valentineregard

Feb 13, 2018
    Utah
    The bridge seems to be a Wilkinson.
    Also I don’t know if you can see it in the photos, the pick guard is cut terribly around the neck pickup.. also leading to more questions haha

6. Valentineregard

Feb 13, 2018
    Utah
    Also I’m terrible with electronics, what is the purpose of the huge orange “capacitor “?? If that’s what you call it. Bridging the tone and volume. I’ve just never seen it before on any other Teles I’ve seen.

7. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    That's the "tone cap". Gives you your treble cut. Those orange drop caps are one of the "caps du jour". As long as it's working, it's fine.

8. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I would not know what brand of body that is but it appears to be solid wood and looks like most Tele's I have worked on. The lack of painted shielding though does have me a little baffled. Maybe the guitar was refinished and they painted over the shielding. Typically the shielding is black and looks like Rhino liner.

As far as the big orange capacitor. Its function is to roll the bass to ground with the tone control. Usually Fender uses an orange drop cap that is quite a bit smaller than that one. If you can find some writing on the cap it would be easy to decipher what size it is. Typical Fender guitars us either a .1uf, .022uf or a .047uf capacitors in their tone stacks.

9. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's not a Fender neck because it doesn't have the plug in the truss rod hole. Could be Squier, and many people do remove THAT logo. Any evidence of that?

However, I never saw a serial # near the heel, but I never saw a lot of things.

Screws on the neck plate don't match.

My guess is you just got a partscaster with all after-market parts.

Steve Holt and Valentineregard like this.

10. Valentineregard

Feb 13, 2018
    Utah
    Yeah it’s weird. That serial number comes up with a 1992-1993 fender according to the number but it could be a fake number?

11. Valentineregard

Feb 13, 2018
    Utah
    Thanks for all the input. I’ll get more pics of the inside soon. I didn’t think of someone refinishing it, maybe I can see some of the old paint. Are there any indicators I can look for in terms of pickups when I open it up to find out what kind they are?

12. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    If you are looking for old paint, look around the hole for the control plate. If they repainted they would have gotten paint in that hole or around that hole. Usually you can see a different color as the screw grinds into the wood and exposes both colors.
    You could also scrape a little in the control cavity, typically the bodies are painted, then the taped off for the control cavity paint to be applied. If you have paint over the cavity black paint it is a refin.

As far as pickups, sometimes they will have markings on the bottom. Do a google search on what you find and you might be able to find the source for them.

13. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    The neck heel shape is not Fender or Squier. The serial number is a fake decal.

The neck heel looks like the Kmise necks that sell for $30 on Amazon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)

15. Valentineregard

Feb 13, 2018
    Utah
    That all makes sense. I didn’t know about the difference in neck heels. I’ve used the Kmise necks before on a jazz master and it was actually one of my favorite necks. I do prefer fatter necks though and maybe that’s why.

16. Valentineregard

Feb 13, 2018
    Utah

17. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    There may be marks in the neck pocket or on the heel of the neck. You can de tune the strings a bit and put s capo on the first fret to save the strings when removing the neck or look at the next string change.

18. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Nice looking vintage vibe tele for $200 bucks in a cool color.

rich815 and Valentineregard like this.

19. Torvald

Torvald TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kingston WA
    I thought I was seeing things for a second! Looks like the on I just bought at a pawnshop. Mine was a Mexican neck on what turned out to be a Warmoth body. Other parts mostly unknown. I paid $320 including sales tax.

20. Valentineregard

Feb 13, 2018
    Utah
    Oh nice! Can you post pictures of it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.