Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Just booked a ticket to Albert Lee.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dlew919, Aug 11, 2018 at 2:53 AM.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Haven’t seen him before (except I might have seen him with Clapton city’s 1989).

How excited should I get?

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    'Squealing like an 8YO girl on getting a kitten' excited.

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    He's here in my city, Adelaide, right now in our bi-annial Guitar Festival.
    I don't think h's playing a concert but being interviewed by a hotty named Julia Zamero.

dlew919 likes this.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    He’s great!
    Go see/hear him, he’s a singular artist

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 5:30 AM
    dlew919 likes this.

5. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2011
    Far N.E. Philadelphia
    I seen him once. He opened for BB King. The JGB (J. Geils Band - the blues version - J. Geils and Magic Dick with a Rhythm Section) was first on. We were 3rd row, around center stage. We turned around and Mr. Lee was sitting next row back, feet up enjoying the show. Most of the venue was still pouring in, he was a very nice guy and puts on a great show.

dlew919 likes this.

6. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

Jul 26, 2010
    Louisville,KY
    I saw him years ago in Nashville. It was during the summer Namm show and I believe the show was sponsored by Ernie Ball. It was Alvin Lee , Steve Morse and Steve Lukather jamming and trading licks and then Rodney Crowell crashes the party. Great show.

7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Saw him in January - even got a pic with him - he's still an amazing talent!!!

IMG_5201.JPG

8. Snook

Snook Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Saw him in 1990 with Tal Farlow, Jerry Douglas, and Wayne Henderson..... He didn't have white hair then.

9. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    Macclesfield, UK
    I always wished he would play this again...
    I wore out my copy of Little Joe Cook's 'Stormy Monday', listening to this fantastic jazz-blues guitarist. 45's weren't able to fit 6 minute songs, so they split it in two - right at the amazing guitar solo :0(
    Only many years later did I found out it was one of the world's best Country and Western guitarists - Albert Lee...!

10. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    Having been aware of him since the mid-60s .... Actually saw him 3 or 4 years ago, probably like yourself, to check out what all the fuss is about …

Now then, as the song goes, boy he can play!

But, and I was expecting this to a degree … I think to truly enjoy him playing his own concert with his own band (think he uses different musicians when abroad cf to here in the UK?) you've got to be really into 50s RnR at the point it crossed over from C&W up to, say, early 60s RnR.

For me … far too much Chicken Pickin' … never been a fan of it (+ it's true to say never been any good at the technique) - despite my age :D
    Indeed, having been persuaded by one of my son's that we (note the we!) should check him out … before the interval I said if he does another Chicken Pickin' number I'm going at the interval … we retired to a local hostelry at the interval.

Plus, and I've heard others make the same comment, he spent quite a bit of time playing keys anyway! (Perhaps his fingers can't do the full show anymore .. perhaps he prefers keys these days … who knows?)

But, I hope it is all to your tastes and you have a great evening.

11. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Holic

Jul 23, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Saw him mebbe 25 years ago. What stands out in my memory was this is what introduced me to tap tempo as he’d fiddle about banging the delay whilst co-ordinating with the drummer before most of the songs. Other than that I remember a lot of notes and it being enjoyable.

12. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2018
    Savannah GA
    Be very, very excited. I am jealous! He is a spectacular artist, and although his main thing is guitar he is multi-instrumental.

And - not just C&W music. He played with Clapton for years.

13. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Republik of Vermont
    More excited than is probably safe for you.

Wife and I were in NYC a couple years ago. We love to spend our time in different places just walking around, people watching and checking out the street scene. We walked by a club called the Iridium (which was a regular haunt of non other than Les Paul). Although it was closed at that time of day, there was a sign on the door advertising Albert Lee. Really...?? THE Albert Lee??? Sure enough, the gal assured me. Little, wiry, British guy. "Nice as can be" she said, "plays here a lot." Not only did we get tickets for this small but very cool venue, but we sat stageside at a table with several other nice guys that, oddly enough, were guitar geeks. (Imagine that. Who'd have guessed?) I got to see him when he toured with Emmy Lou Harris and the Hot Band (Rodney Crowell, Ricky Skaggs) so I knew we were in for a great night. He far surpassed any expectations. The guy was a great player as well as story teller, and seemed to be genuinely humble and appreciative of the audience.

You, sir, are in for a real treat. Be sure and report back on how it was.

dlew919 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.