Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

just a heads up for your own good

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chemobrain, May 15, 2017.

1. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    The thing with a lot of fashion advice is that it is targeted towards people that are casually dating, it places an extraordinary amount of importance on adornment and the physical, from the marketing perspective of rat-racers and urban sophisticates. I can't even look at these Men's magazines or Cosmopolitan, just because they just encourage careless mating, the consequences of which exhaust the patience and resources of our ever-bumching world. The men are purposefully and overly effeminate in those things, in my opinion. In one day I would ruin or split those tighty my-pants and fancy sneaker-shoes and what-not.

Now, that didn't stop me from getting a shirt from Macy's, I cannot tell a lie. I have a fine array of Wal-Mart parachute shirts, and two shirts from Macy's that are way too tight, but that's because I am a pig and eat too much.

For me personally, practicality and comfort overrule current fashion trends, I guess I look ridiculous to many people, but I get stuff done.

The best fashion accessory is confidence and success, and if you have that, you aren't "trying," you just are, which is precisely what makes a person attractive.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    moosie likes this.

2. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Yep. Context. 99% of the posters on this forum are well outside of the context of this video.

I'll also add that putting too much effort into not caring how you look, especially when you explicitly state that you don't care how you look, is in and of itself a form of caring how you look. By drawing attention to that fact, you're making it known that you want to appear that you don't care. By deliberately wearing fashion faux pas, you're making an effort to appear careless.

Looking perfectly nondescript requires blending in with the crowd and not drawing attention to what you're wearing.

william tele likes this.

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Amen! And if not both...one or the other!

1955 likes this.

4. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Bring back the '87 used car salesman look, I own that

5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    I guess you didn't have any trouble getting dates.:cool:

1955 likes this.

6. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    This old gal can still jitterbug but there's no ice left in the punch bowl

7. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    I watched the whole video with the sound off.

8. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    I agree with most of these.

RomanS likes this.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I don't think it's ironic at all. I think she's saying - just so you know, if you are after girls, we don't generally want you to follow silly trends or do extreme things.

As with many things, I'm intrigued by the number of folks posting definitively without reading or watching the subject.

Anyone who thinks that she was espousing following trends or wearing impractical clothes simply didn't watch or if they did, failed to process.

As I think someone else noted, the basic gist is: simple, tasteful, classic, properly-fitting clothing. Which also tends to be relatively comfortable and stand the test of time. And not necessarily a controversial and challenging message, by the way.

Modman68, RomanS, middy and 3 others like this.

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Bingo.

1955 likes this.

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Guys aren't even guys anymore, often

Flakey, straightface and 1955 like this.

12. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    also, a leopard fezz trumps all of this

Flakey and J Hog like this.

13. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia
    I think she was recommending elegant simplicity and I agree with her.

Stage shirts are another thing altogether.

RomanS likes this.

14. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    elegant simplicity does not work for every body or personality type, of course

15. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia

16. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    Nonsense. I've been pulling in the tenderonies for years with my Popeye boxers.

17. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I wear nasty old shoes, baggy ill fitting clothes, and a couple other things on that video, almost every day, and I have a wonderful wife who loves me to pieces - for very different reasons - and knows what is actually important in life. This is like a list of things you shouldn't wear on a first date, mixed in with a couple of her personal pet peeves. Understaning what actually matters beyond the first couple of dates is what separates the matures from the immatures of the modern world.

4pickupguy likes this.

18. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I am so glad I am happily married as well. The video however is helpful in that it helps men to avoid the women who want guys that look like what she describes. No guy I know avoids all 21 points. I still rock the occasional concert logo T-shirt. I wear dress shoes with rubber soles. I wear flip flops sans socks of course on the weekends. My wife did finally throw out my King of The Hill boxers that she bought for me, .....as a joke,.... i think......

19. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's

Jun 1, 2006
    Nashua NH
    wait? there are more than 21 things men can wear? I didn't know that

20. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    There are only 5 that we wear, but there are 21 that we shouldn't.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.