Jumpin Jack Flash- What Tuning?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by TelZilla, Oct 20, 2008.

1. wicksy5508

wicksy5508 NEW MEMBER!

2. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

If you're not blitzed all the time, leave the 6th string on! If you don't need it, just don't play it. It's great for a low root on turnarounds, plus other stuff. I wouldn't even consider taking it off! And don't get me wrong! I love Keef's stuff! Does he still have a shiv? It's a good thing that he got to play with Ry though! You can see a lot of Cooder influences.

3. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

ZTA!! Zombie Thread Alert!!!

4. Charlesinator

Charlesinator Tele-Meister

Yeah I've always heard that Ry played on something of the Stones (maybe "Memo From Turner" from Mick's film career.) Anyways Ry I believe was pretty pissed at the Stones for what he thought may have been larceny. Of course Ry didn't invent open G tuning either. The idea to take off the low E (D) string was Keef's. Keef addresses this in his book. As far as larceny ... Bill claims the signature riff was his. I believe he claims to have composed on piano. Supposedly Mick Taylor's departure was aided by the fact he wasn't credited either with a lot of signature riffs, etc.

5. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Jumping Jack Flash and Street Fighting Man are both in Open E

6. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Eb5 to be precise - Eb Bb Eb Eb Bb Eb - low to high, no third, and actually a little sharp.

7. stinkey

stinkey Tele-Afflicted

I've done it.

8. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

The 'no 6th string' thing is only because he's in a band with 1)another guitar player, 2)a bass player, 3)many songs have piano or organ, 4)sometimes a horn section.
    Both guitar players - in Rolling Stones songs - don't all need two guitars playing all 6 strings all the time, or even 1/2 the time. Too much BS in the low end. Part of Keith's excellent musicianship and musicality is the fact that he figured that out. A lot of really great guitar players rarely play the low E in bands where there's more than one guitar player. Some of them rarely ever play more than two or three strings at a time if there's another guitar or keyboard player.
    Keith just decided to take the low E off of a few guitars.
    *And he doesn't do it on all his axes.

9. Charlesinator

Charlesinator Tele-Meister

Klasine, Keef takes the low E string off only on guitars that he's tuned to OPEN G which he can just about play the entire bulk of the Stones catelog that way even tunes written in open E like "Jumpin' Jack Flash." Yes you don't need to play all the strings especially when you have a large band. Keef certainly has that figured out. But when he's in open G playing "Jumpin' Jack Flash" etc. He's gonna bang that geetar through a cranked Marshall. Not being heard isn't a consideration. Lol!!!

10. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Keith was never much of a Marshall guy.
    In fact the only time I remember him playing one (a JTM45) was on the Steel Wheels tour and even then he slaved it into a Mesa Boogie power amp and that into Mesa 4x12's ... and this was along with his Fender Twin and Bassman.
    Keith's a Fender (and Ampeg, 'it's only r&r' period) guy all the way.

*I assume that since he's English he must have played them at some point more regularly - ?

11. Erik8

Erik8 Tele-Meister

I believe his first amp as a pro was a vox ac30, in 65 he had fenders (maybe even earlier ) Don't think he ever used marshall regularly.

"As already stated he can be seen playing through Marshalls in The Rock N Roll Circus performance. I have read comments from him that he wasn't a big fan of them, but to come to that conclusion I'm sure he must have tried them.

In the early days you see him with vox amps, by about 65 I recall seeing him with Fender Dual Showman's, in the Sympathy For The Devil film it looks like Vox's in the studio, at the Hyde Park Concert in 69 they are using Hiwatt. Live, from 69-78 it was the Ampegs, from studio pix it looks like a mix of Ampegs & Fender Twins. I think the Boogie's came in to the picture around Some Girls. From about 89 on it seems mostly tweed Fender's, but I'm sure he mixes in other things as needed."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.