Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Joyo Vintage Overdrive Review

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Zvbosch, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Zvbosch

Zvbosch TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2012
    california
    Hello everyone, my name is Zach and I have just recently joined tdpri. Anyways, being a reader of this forum, especially the stomp box section, I have decided it is my turn to contribute to you people who have helped me learn so much. So, on that note, here is my review on the very-much-hyped Joyo Vintage Overdrive.

I began my quest for an overdrive shortly after I witched to full tube. All of do at some point (at least most of us). I first had a Bugera v22, which I hated, and then moved on to a Fender Champ 600 and a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Something about playing a fender through a Fender produces some kind of magic. My fender combination complete, I searched for weeks for the overdrive tone I wanted. I loved, and still do love, the John Mayer bluesy OD that is warm but has a bit of a mid range sparkle to it. I went down to my local Guitar Center, played on everything from a TS9 to an OCD and came home. I loved the TS9 and the TS808. They gave me what I wanted, sort of. I found the 808 to be more warm, the 9 to have that midrange sparkle. It was frustrating, but I guess I was going to have to buy both. But wait, after searching the depths of the internet I found out about the Joyo Vintage Overdrive, how it was suppose to be a tube screamer clone at an affordable price. I had just got a big check in the mail so what the heck, I ordered it. I got it int he mail four or so days later and plugged it into my Vox AC30vt (so I could hear just the tone of the pedal, the same thing I did at guitar center) and I was blown away. It had all of the amazing qualities of both the TS9 and the TS808 for about $40! And, on top of that, it could get even more snarly cranked up. Seriously guys, this pedal rocks. Go try one out.

2. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    It's the only TS clone that I've liked. The Ultimate Drive for me sounds better than a real OCD v4.

3. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2008
    Way Out There
    I have the Joyo Vintage overdrive and a BBE Green Screamer. If you're looking for a warmer lower gain ts type pedal the Green Screamer is nicer than the Joyo, in my opinion of course.

I really only use a ts pedal as a "clean boost", well as "clean" as can be expected, with the drive on minimum and the volume cranked to about one or two o'clock. I was surprised when I compared both to find such a big difference, the Green Screamer is fuller and rounder sounding and has less breakup with the gain at minimum, plus the tone control is use-able across it's entire range.

4. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Me have pedal ordered.
    Me was concerned. Maybe make mistake.

Me reassured by OP.

5. Zvbosch

Zvbosch TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2012
    california
    Tone is all subjective and all, but to my ears I see a huge difference between even the TS9 and the Joyo Vintage Overdrive's sounds, and I like the Joyo better, which was surprising to me since I hate other cheap pedals usually. I've never tried the BBE Green Screamer though.

6. effcee

effcee Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2010
    florida, tpa
    The Joyo Vintage OD is fantastic, as are all their other pedals which I own. I have about a dozen Chinese clone pedals: Joyo, Biyang, Caline, Moen... All that stuff sounds crazy good, and it's really making it hard for me to purchase $150-200 pedals nowadays -- unless it's something special.

7. StraightNeck

StraightNeck Tele-Holic

Nov 9, 2009
    Sweden
    Watch out,SouthpawGuy,some folks here dont like if you bash Joyo pedals to hard.I could not care less,we are entitled to have opinions,right?Anyhow,
    I have the Vintage Overdrive,nice pedal for the money.But compared with my Blackstar HT-drive the Joyo is muddier,has a more raw edge,suck bass and color the sound to much.Sure,it has a better sound than most cheap pedals
    and certainly has its place in some applications.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

8. Bri-Sonic

Bri-Sonic Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2010
    Warwick, UK
    With all the hype on these Joyos I pulled the trigger on two - the Crunch Distortion and the AC Tone. The distortion is great - I was looking for something to fatten up the sound a bit and this does the trick. Think 80s Iron Maiden - just the job.

The AC Tone is one of the Tech 21 copies. The crunch tones are spot on. Makes my CV50 sounds fabulous. I'd love to really crank it, but it gets very noisy so I seem unable to get the Brian May type sounds I hoped for, but for 30 quid it's still a steal. I've not tried to use it into the PC yet, which could be interesting. The thing I like about both these pedals is how much the controls affect the sound. It can make finding the sweet spot a bit of a faff, but the range of sounds, especially on the AC Tone, is impressive. For what I paid I'm seriously impressed, and I reckon I'll buy more - some of the newly announced ones sound interesting.

9. StraightNeck

StraightNeck Tele-Holic

Nov 9, 2009
    Sweden
    Yes,the Ac tone is nice as it has mid and bass pots,works like an eq.Huge range of sounds.

10. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2008
    Way Out There
    Ha !

Not bashing, just comparing. I also have the Joyo Ultimate Drive and am seriously considering another one or two Joyos. Great pedals at a great price. The BBE is also relatively inexpensive and certainly wouldn't be considered "boutique", it's just a different flavour of TS.

11. StraightNeck

StraightNeck Tele-Holic

Nov 9, 2009
    Sweden
    Yes,comparing is a better word,thanks.

12. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2007
    West Virginia
    You just can't let it go can you?

13. StraightNeck

StraightNeck Tele-Holic

Nov 9, 2009
    Sweden
    Nope.I have my right to express my opinion.I will fight to the end.

14. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2007
    West Virginia
    Nice that your opinion includes carry over childish snide comments from other threads. Grow up.

Ohwell, thankfully there is an ignore list and you're the first person I've added to it in the years I've been here.

15. Zvbosch

Zvbosch TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2012
    california
    I think the Joyo is actually better than a lot of boutique pedals out there in my opinion. It doesn't muddy my sound at all and my tone is preserved .

16. StraightNeck

StraightNeck Tele-Holic

Nov 9, 2009
    Sweden
    Snide?Ok,sorry to everyone i have offended.I am going to log out now and you will never hear from me again.:cool:

17. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    You guys are like the Hatfields vs. the McCoy's!
    No reason to bail out Straightneck.......lets just talk about pedals though :idea:
    Specifically, Joyo Vintage Overdrives in this thread.

18. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    One thing the BBE pedals have over the Joyo stuff is that the BBE pedals have through-hole components on the board, but I hear the Joyo pedals are mostly SMD. Good luck repairing or modding a Joyo pedal unless you know how to deal with Surface-Mount components. I'm a big fan of BBE pedals, I have about 5 of them, and their support is fantastic (they repaired a bad pot on a Green Screamer I bought second-hand on Ebay for free, and the turn-around time was really quick). If the Joyos really are SMD construction, I guess you could consider them as "disposable" equipment, if something goes wrong and the seller won't take it back, you just toss it and buy another one!.

Al

19. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Tele-Afflicted

Oct 10, 2010
    Southern California
    I have a Vintage Overdrive. I like it a lot. Maybe there are better TS type pedals out there, but it's satisfied my need for one enough that I haven't felt the need to go out and look for another to replace it. Great prices on these, too. I got mine for $35, if memory serves.

20. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2007
    West Virginia
    IIRC Joyo was making some stuff for BBE. At least that's the story I got when the whole F-Blues saga started. That was the explanation for them marketing both BBE and Joyo stuff as their own, they were coming from the same place.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.