Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

joyo pedals ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by fishingjude, Jan 24, 2011.

1. bryan k

bryan k TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2012
    CA
    What does it sound like? is it even close to being considered a "clone"?

2. ac15er

ac15er TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2011
    sydney
    Anyone have experience with the Jf-11 EQ pedal?

3. bryan k

bryan k TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2012
    CA
    I just ordered BOTH the Slide Meister Overdrive and the Joyo Vintage Overdrive to compare.

Looks like ill be doing a shootout soon.........

4. bryan k

bryan k TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2012
    CA
    So both pedals cam in last night, and I gave them a whirl.

To my surprise, the Slide Meister was a re-branded "Goldea". The Ebay seller simply put his sticker over the brand name. I peeled it off.

Comparing the 2 pedals side by side -

When i pulled both out of the box, I instantly felt the weight difference. The Joyo was heavier, and it felt like it was built a little better. Slightly larger in size too (not by much). Joyo was built like it was manufactured in a factory, solid components and parts. The Goldea however, still had that "home built" feel to it.

Plugging both in, and i stared by putting all the controls at 12 o'clock.

Both pedals have a similar tone and feel, but there are slight differences. I noticed right away the Goldea has less gain/crunch. But I remedied that by putting the gain knob to about 2:00. At this point bot pedals sounded to be of the same overdrive sound level.

The best way to describe the differences between these 2 are, the Goldea has less gain and more upper-mid hump. It also has slightly less lows (more apparent low end roll off). Goldea upper mid hump kinda has this "wah wah stopped in the middle position" kinda sound. It was kinda cool in a different way.

The Joyo was a bit smoother, and more low end was there. Overall between the 2, my ears and fingers kept coming back to the Joyo. It was simply easier to play on and the soloing was more fluid and sweet.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I decided to give one of these pedals a try. I don't use a lot of distortion but I decided to give the UD a shot based on what some have posted here. Ordered through Amazon for less than $39 total and shipped from a nice little supply company in NH in the good old USA. It arrived 3 business days after I ordered it. :eek: Now that's top notch order processing and postal delivery. They stock other JOYO Pedals as well. Here's their website if anyone is interested. www.cbgitty.com and phone # 877-470-5707

So what are my impressions thus far? It's just what I was looking for. Well built, (better than I expected) nice features (level, gain, tone controls and hi/low gain option), very easy to dial in what I was looking for (large white easy to read knobs).

The first thing I noticed is that it's very transparent and the bypass is very effective. I'm not hearing any noticeable signal loss or tonal change with it in the chain. Unlike some inexpensive OD's I've tried this one won't automatically darken the tone to somewhere near unusable mud that I can't use no matter how much treble I crank in. If that's your sound there's plenty to be had by adjusting the tone pot but at 12 o'clock it was fine with a lot of room to maneuver either side of that.

I wasn't after major distortion so I've kept the settings tame for now to see what I can get with it solo just at the point of amp clipping and then in conjunction with with the solo and lead settings on my amp. So the level is only at 9 o'clock with the gain low on the dpt switch and about 8:30 on the dial. Those setting pretty much nailed what I was after for now and there's a lot more dirt and boost to be had beyond this point that I haven't explored yet.

I was thinking about an OCD or a Fulldrive but decided to give one of these a try first and I have to say that it's pretty impressive pedal for it's price. I'm gonna give the Trem pedal a shot next. Obviously this thing hasn't stood the test of time but so far I'd wouldn't suggest anyone be scared off by the low price. They seem like very well built nice sounding pedals. JMO

6. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2012
    Land of the Merlion
    removed

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

7. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    Just A/B'd my Joyo crunch distortion with my 3 favorite distortion boxes.
    1] Black box Marshall Shredmaster
    2] Boss SD-2 'red channel'
    3] mij boss DS-1
    The joyo came out on top and resides on my pedalboard.It can sound ALOT like the old shredmaster but always sounds clearer and more articulate.
    The SD-2 sounds close as well,but both bosses sound more pedal-like and less amp-like.
    I'm gonna have to try a Joyo vintage overdrive at some point.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Well my lemon yellow "year of the dog" JOYO Trem Pedal arrived. Now I'll give this one a shot and see how well it does and do a little write up on it later. At least externally these things seem better built than I expected but the graphics I could do without.

Edit:
    Well just to add what I found playing it. There's nothing to get all that excited about. For my purposes it does what it's designed to do and for about half the cost of others. So this is JOYO pedal number two and for about $40 each these guys are alright.

They're quiet, the bypass works as advertised and I can't discern any audible coloring of the tonality either in or out of the signal chain. They're pretty transparent and easy to get what you want out of them that's what I was looking for. They're one more product I'd put in the category of being in expensive without being "cheap".

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

9. JDO

JDO Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Pittsboro, NC
    i like the Joyo trem too. nice thing about it is the LED. obviously there's no tap tempo with this pedal. but when it's engaged the LED blinks at the rate you have it set at. makes it nice to dial in a bit better.

10. LXARudy

LXARudy Tele-Meister

Jul 11, 2012
    Chicago/ Champaign
    I have the compressor, the vintage flanger, the ultimate drive, the voodoo octave, and the tremolo. All seem to be really nice except the vintage flanger which came not working. The voodoo octave gets an awesome fuzz tone that I like better then the muff. The octave is pretty subtle though but kinda sounds like an Octavia. The ultimate drive is sweet and goes from that nice low gain tube drive sound to that beefy high distortion. I find that it pairs very well with the ibanez ts9 I run through it. The tremolo sounds good to me, but it's the only tremolo I've owned so I don't know. The compressor is awesome for a Ross type compressor. Has an attack and a sustain knob with a level knob. It won't get you that really squishy sound the mxr will get, but I've found my other pedals, specifically the dd-3, the tremolo, and the super chorus sound significantly better when that compressor is on. I'd be wary of who you order from though, because I got mine from wtf accessories and one was broken and they still haven't gotten back to me and it's been half a week. Looks like I'll have to fix it myself.

11. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    Just got my Joyo Vintage Overdrive......one rehearsal,but very impressed.Organic,touch sensitive,and loves my Esquire!

12. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    Another WTF moment!:lol:

[sorry...hope you get it sorted out cause that kinda thing is whats giving these pedals a less than stellar reputation.]

13. ludashoeless

ludashoeless Tele-Afflicted

just got my pitchblack clone. works nice but the switch seems weaker

14. guitarlovers

guitarlovers TDPRI Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Hong Kong
    JOYO pedals are worth to buy !many guys like them very much !

15. beto88

beto88 NEW MEMBER!

Jun 9, 2013
    Spain

16. trevorsnackson

trevorsnackson TDPRI Member

May 29, 2013
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Is it still working for you?

17. Marc_Zachary

Marc_Zachary NEW MEMBER!

Feb 14, 2014
    Clark, NJ
    Joyo pedals

I recently purchased a joyo pedal power 2 and I have no complaints. I have yet to experience any problems with it. My friend introduced me to joyo's equipment and ever since I have been interested in it. It is extremely affordable and sounds good as well. However it all comes down to preference. They have there faults but for the price, it is worth it.

Hope this helps
    Marc

18. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    I have one on the pedalboard that I use for live acoustic gigs. The preamp in my Lag dreadnought just doesn't have enough bass in any of the five presets. So, I use the Joyo EQ to bump the bottom end a little bit.

The adjustments on the Joyo are subtle. This isn't a "move it a micron, make a huge difference" kind of pedal. You have to move the sliders quite a bit to make a real, discernible difference in your sound. Joyo says it will go plus/minus 18db, but my experience says that it's actually a slight bit less than that.

The lights on top of the sliders are a really nice touch. It's easy to make adjustments on a dark stage.

The pedal does not color the sound of the guitar at all. It just boosts or cuts various frequencies. In or out of the signal chain, your guitar's sound remains the same.

The pedal is sturdy. The battery is easy to get to, but I use it exclusively with an AC adapter, as I figure the lights will probably negatively impact battery life. But, that's based on a suspicion, not actual observation.

Unlike other EQ pedals, this one doesn't have a level control. You can boost volume by boosting frequencies. Otherwise, it doesn't affect the volume of the guitar at all.

Overall, I really like this pedal. It's inexpensive, it's well built, and it does exactly what it's advertised to do: boost and cut particular frequencies without altering the sound or volume of the guitar.

If your looking for radical EQing, you probably need to look elsewhere. If you're looking to tweak your sound and add in a little something that might be missing, it'd be pretty hard to do better than the Joyo EQ.

In my opinion, of course.

19. Canuckcaster

Canuckcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 12, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    Anyone here have any recent experience with the Ultimate Drive? I might pick one up for $40.

Thanks,

CC

20. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I also posted about this in the Joyo Pedal Owners thread, but this may be a more active thread for help.

I just bought a used Sweet Baby. Guess what, it took trying 4 brands of batteries to find one that will fit inside the enclosure, but none will fit with the battery clip attached. In any position, the battery posts hit the screw boss in the corners of the housing, leaving no room for the clip to attach.

I think during manufacturing, maybe the housing holes were drilled slightly off in the direction of the battery, forcing the PCB to intrude into the battery space.

Yes, it works on my power supply, but sometimes I want the portability of using the battery only.

Has anyone else run into this? Or is this another case of "buy cheap, get cheap"?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.