Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

joyo pedals ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by fishingjude, Jan 24, 2011.

1. afelt.tech

afelt.tech TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2011
    I do. It's pretty close to the ross sound, but you are correct about the squish. I still love it.

Interesting side note, I frequently gig with some really gear snobby musicians (Cork Sniffing TGPers). I took this comp and my UD to a gig, but the UD has been repainted by my friend (local artist) and the comp is brushed down to a bare box. I got compliments up the wazoo from those guys, and I refused to tell them what they where until the next week. It hit them like a ton of bricks when I did.

I own the comp, trem, and UD... they are great pedals.

2. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    Is the noise low as others are saying?...even with the sustain high?

How are you using the UD? would it make a good dirty boost?

3. GregWV

GregWV Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2010
    Spring Hill, WV
    Having my first problem with the UD pedal. When I click the switch it only sounds like it is adding about half the gain and volume. Sometimes I have to hit the switch 3 or 4 times before it engages fully -ugh !

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I have one on the way from WTFaccesories in HongKong. I have tracking. The last pedal took 11 days to get here. I'm hoping that I'll have the Dyna Compressor by next Friday. I also ordered the Ultimate Ocatve Pedal.

Both pedals + shipping were $76.

There is a youtube video where the player tests the Dnya next to a Barber Tone Press. That's the video that pushed me into ordering.....

I'll let you know when it gets here.

5. afelt.tech

afelt.tech TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2011

Noise is almost non-existent for me. I use the UD with the switch on low and the gain down for more of a medium dist sound. I really like it.

6. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    First see if the switch is "hanging" by working it on and off with your finger - see if you can rock it laterally at all (checking for play in that direction). If that is the case, it's usually a terminal (as in dying switch) issue.

If it seems to be going thru its range of motion okay, work it a bit with your finger (both fast and slow), and then let it sit overnight upside down. If it has been somewhere relatively cold, try to keep it somewhere a little warmer.

Repeat that a few times - it may take about 48 hours before you notice an improvement.

Sometimes the lube in the sealed assembly doesn't wick into all the moving parts, and you don't get good contact.

It's still a gamble though. Sometimes there's just a bad batch of those switches - must be a little slop on the assembly machinery or something. I replaced a switch in a pedal 4 times for this one guy - he thought he was cursed, but the switches must have all come from a similar run. I actually tested a bunch after that, and about a quarter of them were hanging up.

There's a new series of those switches that has pins instead of lugs to eventually replace the latter, since there is a lot of whining about having to lace the lugs up.

The likelihood of a messed up switch is increased when the heat from the necessary solder flow for the "oval hole" adapters (for the lug-style switches) can messz up something internally (especially with something like the Joyo, since they use lead free solder - requires higher temperature for proper flow).

I figure if folks are gonna keep buying those budget pedals, might as well score a bunch of budget replacement switches from Tayda or somewhere like that while you're at it.

7. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    The thing holding me back is that it doesn't seem to have much squash on tap.

8. gearmadness

gearmadness TDPRI Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Australia
    me too, i just got my Classic Flanger for $46.95 which includes shipping cost, from a non-ebay store, at first i was hesistant. I used my paypal to have a secured transaction, and damnit, i received it after 8 days,,,,
    He has cheap pedals+fast shipping since he is hosting his store in a free website.
    I think I will stick to this seller for now. Digital Delay, you're next!
    here, http://dropdmusic.weebly.com/index.html

This Flanger is incredible!!!!!!

9. tape

tape Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2010
    Boston, MA
    just grabbed the Ultimate Drive. man, is this a great pedal for $40. worth it at 4x the price.

10. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Apr 29, 2011
    Detroit Metro
    In that case I'll sell you another one for $ 160.

11. tape

tape Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2010
    Boston, MA
    sorry man, I know this dude named amazon.com that has them for $40.

12. chuy

chuy NEW MEMBER!

Nov 16, 2011
    austin
    I am older and dumber, but hate to waste my few bucks. I paid $500. for a Boss something and it didn't do what the salesman said. I bought 5 joyos for $125. that make the noise I wanted. If I wanted to be an elect engineer I would have gone to school, but I just want to play guitar and I don't need U.S. companies not giving me good products. You know, plug it in and work. I remember tube amps did have more fuzz when fuzz tones were hooked up. So why did they start solid state problems? So, for me shipping from China (cheapest mail with WTF shipping was 10 days). Anyway, I am sold on these products and I see where chords, tuners, etc are made in China and sold to us by American retailers at higher prices. I will say I am scared to buy a Motif xf8 synthesizer via inter net purchase from Chinese company. Anyone have expierence in this area?
    Just old. Thanks.

13. re-run

re-run Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2012
    Indiana
    I have the Digital delay and like it.. but its not Digital, its 100% analog. . but to me thats a good thing

14. Jalpow

Jalpow Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Melbourne AUS
    I have one and it definitely isn't analog circuitry. It is digital and is voiced a bit to the darker side.

15. mulic3

mulic3 Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2012
    Netanya
    Got the Ultimate Drive yesterday. 42$ + shipping. Really like how sounds in front of my Bad Monkey!

16. iluvchiclets

iluvchiclets Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2012
    Ontario
    I thought I would chime in here about my British Sound and AC Tone,

As I wrote earlier, I felt the two sounded very similar when the Voice knob was near the middle of it's range. It was at either end of the Voice knobs that the two pedals differed.

Yes, the British Sound was really nice at doing vintage Marshalls - it really reminded me of early Eric Clapton or Cream. The AC Tone should sound somewhat similar, but voiced a bit differently. At full gain it really screams! Not in a way I can actually use it, but it has some Brian May vibes to it.

The main issue I am having is that they are noisy pedals. Most of the time I am playing in my basement, and it is quite apparent when I have the gain over 70%. Perhaps in a playing situation it would not be as noticeable, but it's a hiss that sounds different that just an ordinary drive pedal might make.

I would like to try the Tech 21 offerings to compare, but I hear they might be discontinued?

17. bryan k

bryan k TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2012
    CA
    Anyone have thoughts on the Slider Meister branded Overdrive? I found them on Ebay for about $35-40.

They claim to do the same, TS808 clone with JRC4558 chip. Are these Joyo pedals in a different housing/brand name?

[​IMG]

18. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    The Slide Meister is SMD construction and sounds nothing like the Joyo Vintage Drive. The Joyo VD is the only TS clone I've ever liked.

19. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2007
    West Virginia
    I'd say not likely. Most rebrands use the same housing/layout but a different colored enclosure. If it's the Joyo Vintage Overdrive rebranded, then they've rearranged the controls and moved them around as well from L-R. Too much time and effort to do 2 different layouts for them at their prices I'm sure.

20. ludashoeless

ludashoeless Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.