Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

joyo pedals ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by fishingjude, Jan 24, 2011.

1. tune881

tune881 NEW MEMBER!

Mar 25, 2014
    Hayward CA
    Just got the JF-07 flanger from Gear Tree on Ebay. I couldn't tell you the difference between the Joyo and the Boss that i had a while back, but for three things.....the Joyo is around 1/4 the price, the on/off switch is steel button, and the casing is larger, so the knobs are less cramped. It works the way a flanger should, seems durable, and waaaay less $$

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Congrats!...and welcome!

3. HarveyTBirdman

HarveyTBirdman Tele-Meister

May 29, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld.
    Thought I'd chime in even though I'm a bit late.

To the guy asking about the dyna compressor, I had one until recently and let it go. I bought it for 30, sold it for the same. While it doesn't get insanely squishy, it does level out nicely, and also provides a nice boost if you need it at the start of a pedal chain. It was a noticeable amount of squish, but nowhere anything like an autocom set to make it an effect of its own, I used it mostly to keep volumes similar between chords and single note runs.
    I eventually moved it on because I was finding my playing improving and I just wasn't using it as much as I'd like to justify keeping it.

Overall I had it for a couple of years, gigged it, abused it, changed the battery once I think. Held up like a tank and no doubt it will do the same for the next owner.

My point is they are cheap enough to just throw a few bucks at, try it for yourself and if it isn't for you move it on quickly. Its good to see the pedal market going for these inexpensive boxes, it'll keep the booteek guys on their toes and push them to make something new and amazing instead of changing a few values in time tested circuits.

4. Talacaster

Talacaster TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Essex UK
    Joyo JF-33 & Joyo JF-36

Hi All

I have 2 Joyos, the JF-33 Analog Delay and the JF-36 Sweet Baby Overdrive. I also had at one point the JF-09 Tremolo and JF-08 Digital Delay. I think these pedals have their strengths and their weeknesses. I sold the delay in favour of a NUX Time Force (don't get me started on that hunk of junk poo poo) and I sold the overdrive in favour of a Boss BD-2 but I bought these two pedals again as I prefer the Sweet Baby to the BD-2.

JF-33 Analog Delay

Sound

The pedal is not a true Analog delay but an Analog voiced digital delay, for the price they sell for you won't get a true bucket brigade analog. The delay is rated at 440ms but I tested mine and it turns out to be 565ms so it performs better than rated so plus points there for Joyo. The sound of the delay is really good, it's not too dark, I find it has a very pleasing quality to it. In the upper frequency register (E & B string above the 12th fret) the repeats are quite distorted where as in the lower register they are pretty clear. I'm sure the signal is being filtered to emulate an analog delay but not sure why the distortion only manifests, or at least that's how it appears to me, in the upper frequency register. A friend suggested it could be down to a crude analog to digital conversion and low bit rate as the good chip for this would drive the price of the pedal up.

I think it works great for a slap back delay which is what I'm using it for, it also works well for longer ambient delays but the only downside for some might be the distorted delay in the upper freq register so just something to bear in mind here. For my application the extra grit added works.

Rating 7/8 Nice sound quality but some might find the distorted repeats a bit off putting.

Construction

The construction is ok but not great and this is probably where the pedal falls short. The casing is some type of pot metal which is fine and the pots themselves feel quite sturdy. My issue with the pedal is the foot switch and the DC input jack.

- Pots

These feel sturdy and robust enough to me.

- Foot switch

The foot switch doesn't feel quite as sturdy as say the type of foot switch used on a more expensive pedal such as MXR or EHX. Now the first JF-33 I had for about a year on the board never let me down in this respect so maybe it's a moot point. It just feels a bit flimsy to me when you step on it.

- DC input

On the Joyo pedals the DC input jack is square (as usual) but it sits behind the casing behind a round hole ( it should be inside the casing in a square hole), the result is that the casing doesn't act as a strain relief on the DC jack. So when you plug in a DC input, you can wiggle the jack around a bit putting stress on the PCB. The jack is soldered to a PCB which means there is the possiblity that you could, if you were possibly a bit heavy handed , break the solder points on the PCB and possibly need to resolder them. Again, not a deal breaker but a bit of a design flaw, corner cutting I suspect.

- 1/4 inch jacks

Hmmm, these feel a little bit low rent when you plug a patch cable in, the jack doesn't always go in smoothly, and the way they are fixed to the casing isn't always so sturdy. I bit of corner cutting again.

Rating 6/7 Not bad but I guess what can you realistically expect at this price point.

JF-36 Sweet Baby Overdrive

Sound

I really like the sound of this pedal, I guess it's a clone of a Mad Professor Sweet Honey overdrive. It's a low gain pedal so it won't take you into high gain metal territory. It sounds sweet and smooth throughout the whole drive range, no fizz. This is a great pedal for adding a bit of that early breakup feel. I use it on the clean channel of my Blackstar HT-40 to get a bit of grit. it's pick responsive so the harder you play the grittier it gets but you can back off and it cleans up nice. The "Focus" knob seems like some type of tone control but it's more than that. it does seem to add a bit of treble as you dial to the right but I think it also effects the resonsiveness of the pedal. It's also good for taking an overdiven amp just that bit further, it would work great as a solo boost adding some extra drive. It can also deliver some real nice crunch when you turn up the drive knob.

I had one on the board some time ago but swapped it for a Boss BD-2 but found the Boss to be not as responsive and too fizzy so back to the Sweet Baby.

Rating 8/9 Nice sound quality but some might find the distorted repeats a bit off putting.

Construction

Has the same issues as the JF-33 above.

Overall Rating 6/7 Not bad but I guess what can you realistically expect at this price point.

I also recently bought a used JF-08 Digital delay but had to send it back. It didn't deliver the 600ms it states and the switch made a very loud pop through the amp. It could have just been a bad one as reviews on youtube that I've seen don't appear to do this. It didn't really sound like a digital delay, sounded exactly the same as the JF-33 so not sure what the point of this pedal is. It didn't seem to suffer quite as much with the distorted repeats in the upper freq register as the JF-33 though. I also had the JF-09 Tremolo pedal for awhile and this was a nice Tremolo pedal but every now and again when I stepped on the switch nothing happened, I had to step on it again and it worked. The input and output jacks were always loose and I couldn't seem to tighten them so for reliability issues I sold it an bought a Boss TR-2

Summary

Are these professional quality pedals? Nope, in a word, but what can you expect for this price but they do sound good. Now that's not to say that a professional gigging guitarist wouldn't use them, I'm just not so sure how they will hold up in the long term. If the Sweet Baby craps out on me then I will probably buy an EHX Soul Food and if the JF-33 dies I will probably replace it with a EHX Memory Toy both of which seem more robust to me.

5. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I am loving my Vintage Phase, and have an AC Tone on the way. Seem to be an excellent value to me, Sweet Baby is next on my list, great video on te Donner Deal website for the Sweet Baby.

6. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    My modified Joyo Ultimate Drive [​IMG]

Myrtle burl vintage 1979
    Only the outside is changed I didn't do anything with the parts.

7. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    ^Hey Bacongrease, thats slick! :lol:

8. Talacaster

Talacaster TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Essex UK
    Joyo Jf-33 vs Biyang AD-10

I just bought a used Biyang Baby Boom AD-10 delay on echo bay for £22 and thought I would share my views on this pedal vs the Joyo.

Sound

They both sound very similar, both are Analog voiced digital delays so not much difference here. Maybe the Biyang is a bit more cleaner but if it is, it's not by much. The Biyang however has a longer delay time via a toggle switch which toggles between 600ms and 1100ms max delay time. The Joyo on the other hand is rated at 440ms max delay time although mine measures in at 565ms.

Construction

This is where the Biyang excels over the Joyo, the build quality of the Biyang is superior to the Joyo namely in the foot switch, DC input jack and the casing. The foot switch on the Biyang feels so much better, it feels far more robust (same as say an EHX or MXR pedal). The Biyang casing is also superior to the Joyo, the Joyo pedal weighs 205 grams and the Biyang pedal weighs 275 grams. The Biyang casing is much harder and more robust. The DC input jack is also more secure, it's a square jack in a square hole so it can't move where as the Joyo is placed behind the casing (inside) so if you insert the DC jack, it can wiggle around inside the casing causing possible breakage inside on the PCB

One of the features on the Biyang is both a blessing and a curse though and that is the access to the battery compartment. The Biyang has a thumb screw on the bottom of the pedal which when unscrewed releases a small under panel to get to the battery....sounds good huh....well this becomes a problem when trying to attach the pedal to a pedalboard. With the rubber feet attached to the pedal, the thumb screw doesn't touch the floor as the feet are taller than the screw head, great, but in order to velcro the pedal to a board you need to remove the feet. Now the thumb screw head is in the way. So although it's a good idea in one way it's a bad idea in another. In reality no one is going to use a battery on a delay pedal as the pedal will chew through the battery before the gig is over and then once the battery is too depleted the delay pedal distorts. I'll find a way around it but it's annoying.

So the Biyang wins over the Joyo because of the better build quality however it is twice the price retail, £39.99 as opposed to £22.00 for the Joyo.

9. Talacaster

Talacaster TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Essex UK
    Bacongrease

That's really cool, how did you do the wood grain effect?

10. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    I'm not bacongrease, but it looks like he glued an actual piece of burl wood laminate on to that thing. Might have to try that someday!

11. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    But, but now you can't read where Gavel, Leine and Tain is :eek:

or was it Gain Level and Tone? :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.