Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Joyo Pedals? A gift from God?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bigdaddyjay, Jan 10, 2012.

1. doof

doof Tele-Holic

I've got from Joyo:

Vintage Overdrive: Great OD sound and nice transparency, didn't colour the sound. I lent it to a friend and after i got it back, it's just been sounding off... like a little distant or muffled. Good chance i'll buy another one to replace it.

Ultimate Drive: Another great OD. In my opinion it gets a bit crunchier than the Vintage Overdrive, so it's a bit better suited towards rock. Beautiful sound and so far bullet proof performance.

British Sound: Don't use this much. When i turn the Voice and the Gain up high enough to get the crunch i want, the pedals gets annoyingly noisy. I'll most likely get rid of it.

Analog Delay: If i use a battery, it's dead within 5 minutes, absolutely needs to have a wall adapter in order to work properly. The first one i got actually arrived unusable, creating some pretty crazy noise, or none at all. But they replaced it for free. But overall all it's a pretty decent analog sounding delay. Think i'll stick with my MXR Carbon Copy though.

Joyo Clone of the Korg Pitchblack tuner: solid and heavy and built like a tank. It does it's job fine, but i find the response is a bit slow or delayed. I often have to mute the guitar, wait for the display on the pedal to go neutral, and then tune the string. Not a big issue for just tuning up and playing at home, but a big annoyance for live playing.

Even though there are some less-than-positive overtones in what i have written, i've overall been very satisfied with Joyo and recommend them to all my friends, and i wouldn't hesitate to buy more from them in the future as long as the prices stayed low. i got all mine from wtfaccessories and never paid more than $35 (including shipping) for any of them. Their listed prices are higher than that now, but they list coupon codes on their site that brings them back down into the $35-ish region (excluding the newest models).

2. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    Another forum member is also having problems with Yoosmart. Try to get your money back if you can. :!:

3. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    I'm happy with my UD - 40$ have been using it often for 1 year and 3 months and it's holding up just fine but construction could be a little better.

Joyo "2nd series" ? I'd stay away from that even though I liked the tones coming from my Sweet Baby and "Analog" Delay . They use a sort of mini 3pdt footswitch that is absolute garbage and now I'm having a hard time to find a replacement. Check this thread if you think you can help me :) http://www.tdpri.com/forum/burnt-fingers-diy-effects/360608-help-identifying-finding-footswitch.html#post4569978

4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    I don't think this generic statement applies any longer, and I'm not so sure it ever did, completely, specific to pedals.

I've paid upwards of $250 for pedals that were not built *sustantially better* than the MIC/MIT/etc. stuff. I've been keen enough to not spend high dollars on things that IMO have kind of slapdash or non-maintenance friendly design.

I've also bought pedals (not necessarily Joyo) that were considerably cheap, or "cheaper than _____" which were better. Clearly better, IMO.

The bottom line with much of this IMO is that whether a pedal has automated production of the enclosure (drilling/powdercoating/silkscreening), mass produced or machine produced pcb's from the "country of origin," and then it is basically just assembled (let's be honest!), then what is the real difference? USA, China, Timbuktu - does not matter with such a production method? I'd argue that it doesn't.

If anything, simply stating that something made in China (or "somewhere other than where it ought to be") IMO somewhat smacks of bigotry. And if the production method is indeed as I described above, it IMO is hypocritical.

IMO, it would be more honest and accurate for it to be said that a basically identical process is being done in one locale or another. And it would be much more honest to differentiate any significant production differences that would make one locale "superior to" another. Does that make sense? It certainly does to me.

FTR - I love buying stuff that is actually designed and built in the place of origin in many instances. But if it is just the same production model that can be done anywhere in the world, I don't see any intrinsic point in that. Does that make sense?

...For instance, the older Digitech Bad Monkey pedals were actually "made in the USA." But they were made by SMT robots, and "made" in a reflow oven. I brought this up elsewhere (with one of our numerous Klon threads or something) about "CNC made" guitars. If human hands don't do the actual construction, but only the assembly - origin becomes irrelevant, IMO.

JMO, but it's a misleading appropriation of value, right down to being used as advertising leverage.

5. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    My only gripe.........I might super glue mine on.

6. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Tele-Meister

Sep 1, 2008
    the home of Greeny and Feelgood
    take the rubber stuff on the bottom and remove the battery covers, they really are stuck like glue to my board now..

7. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Cool! I don't know if I had seen a demo of the Deluxe Crunch yet. A lot of people went out and bought the "Crunch Distortion" (myself included) looking for an MI Audio Crunch Box clone, but that thing is painfully bright. I was told by a distributor that they requested a new model with an external presence control, and that became the Deluxe Crunch.

It sounded pretty good on your amp, though I note you have the tone turned way down. Also, you're playing through an Orange cabinet, which is obviously capable of a fuller sound. I'm of the opinion that some distortion boxes are really only meant for half-stacks and cabinets, as they would be too bright on smaller combo amps (Crunch Box, Keeley DS-1). The only "second line" Joyo I'm looking at is the U.S. Dream, which is a Suhr Riot clone. Thanks for posting!

8. stevehyphen

stevehyphen Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2011
    Newfoundland

9. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

Dec 22, 2011
    GA
    Has anyone tried the JOYO JP-02 Power supply? Has does it compare to the Pedal Power 2? I need a power supply to get rid of hum in my pedals.

10. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2010
    London England
    I bought the Joyo British and in terms of cleanliness, volume, tone, clarity, there is NO comparison with my Tech 21 Blonde. I won't be buying any more Joyos unless I can try them first. I'd rather have a few good pedals than a load of junk.

11. iheartreverb

iheartreverb Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2012
    Glasgow
    I bought that belcat delay that was getting 5 stars across the board everywhere an it was awful! Sucked tone when on, delays where noisy, tried it in every position on my board and with different power supplies and was unusable.
    On the subject of cheap delays I wish I'd never sold my Danelectro p&j. The first delay I ever had an could always dial in what I wanted with no problem at all and was quiet as a mouse. Still thinking of going buying another to stick after my digidelays.

12. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2008
    SoCal
    Not sure about a gift from god, but loving the Tremolo. The last two low budget tremolo's that I purchased where the Dano Cool Cat and Rogue. I couldn't get used to the controls location on the Dano, and the Rogue had an annoying hiss that I could not get passed. The Joyo looks like solid construction and just two simple control knobs. Sounds really good to my ears as well. I think this one may be a keeper.

13. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I think it sounds better than a TS9. At least better than my two or a buddies. It actually sounds as good as a vintage 808. They are very smooth.

14. markxander

markxander Tele-Holic

Got a Vintage Overdrive for $20 with a MarcMart/Mooer order. My girlfriend (an awesome artist) was looking for a little Christmas present for me, so I sanded it down and gave her this:

[​IMG]

We'll see what she does with it!

15. 20721

20721 Former Member

Sep 28, 2012
    San Diego
    As to problems, I'll say this: I got the Trem. I love the trem, it's the only trem pedal that doesn't cause a volume drop or boost and it's got the right old-school sound. However, I also hate the trem, because it pops every time I switch it on or off. Not badly but it's noticeable when recording. It would not be an issue live.

It's also ugly as hell, but it has an appointment with some sandpaper and enamel spraypaint at a near date in the future.

16. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2008
    SoCal
    Classic!!! I was just thinking how the yellow blended well with my green Tube Screamer clones.

17. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    I've refinished my UD recently, should post a pic later (still waiting on the new knobs I got on Saturday).

Yep, it does look much better without that Asian demon mask thing :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012

18. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    here is an Ultimate Drive someone painted on TGP
    Looks great!

[​IMG]

19. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    ^^^^

Looking really pro! Mine is plain gold now. I wonder what happened to the HP-LP switch tho!

20. Fret Master

Fret Master TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Ohio
    I'm new here and this is my first post. I'd like to see one or some of the "bad" ones to see what went wrong and where. I'd like to open em' up!. I'm putting together another pedal board for local jam nights and I need a few more of the joyo. I've had good luck with the 2 I've bought and I really don't want my expensive stuff smashed on at jam night. Lol! Like my Bogner Blue, no way.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.