Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Joyo Pedals? A gift from God?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bigdaddyjay, Jan 10, 2012.

1. bigdaddyjay

bigdaddyjay TDPRI Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Texas
    Are these things too good to be true? True bypass? Mostly all under 50 bux, and they sound great! I've tried the vintage overdrive and was impressed with how much it sounded like a TS9...has anyone had any problems with them? Too bad they aren't American Made...

2. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Meister

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    I have the Ultimate Drive and like it a bunch. Never gig and only had it a few months, but no issues. I might try a few more of there pedals

doctor_capleson likes this.

3. Ed.D.R

Ed.D.R Tele-Meister

Mar 14, 2011
    Bristol
    I have the Vintage od and Ultimate drive, love them both.

4. TeleSky

TeleSky Tele-Holic

May 31, 2011
    Highland, Utah
    I have the Ultimate Drive and Dyna Compressor. Both are great pedals, though my Ultimate drive had an issue: One of the wires to the switch popped off, so I soldered it back on and it worked fine for about a month... Now when switched off it is bypassed, but when switched on, i get insane volume loss (and it sounds very fizzy)... I don't know what the problem is. Perhaps i need to re-solder the whole switch?

5. JoshuaCLS

JoshuaCLS Tele-Afflicted

May 22, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I love my Ultimate Drive, but I don't think it's 100% true bypass...signal won't go through if it doesn't have power.

6. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    Yeah, I think they all use millennium bypass-whatever that is.

I've got the:
    Ultimate Drive- sounds smoother and more amp-like than a OCD but is higher gain and doesn't do low drive sounds as well.
    Tremolo- really nice photo trem. Has trim pots on the board to adjust the output but you
    have to disassemble the pedal to get to them. Sounds really, really good.
    AC Tone- just got this one in today (for $30 shipped). I have a Tech 21 Blonde and the Joyo works much better in front of my 5E3. I'm totally happy with the AC Tone where I could never get the Blonde to sound right into an amp or straight to PA. I think Tech 21 voices the midrange higher than in the Joyo pedals. The Joyo seems easier on the ears.

Only negative I've found is the UD and Trem both pick up a little bit of rf if they're the first pedal in the chain.

7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    Millenium bypass will function w/o power in bypass - it was part of the reason for creating it. Back when a DPDT switch was as fancy as it got, the goal was obviously to have a status indicator. That meant no true bypass if using one pole for the status LED. ProCo figured out a way to do it with Darlington transistors - I have never heard a complaint of tone suck with the Rat (with the LED).

R.G. Keen basically refined what ProCo started with (especially since Darlingtons are obsolete devices), and Millenium Bypass has now found its way into pedals like the MXR Carbon Copy and Vex pedals that previously did not have a LED, like the SHO.

If the Joyos don't have Millenium bypass, that means the edge goes to Biyang, because they do use it. That said, Biyang isn't cloning stuff like the super popular OCD.

The Joyos may use something called "neutral bypass," which Visual Sound pedals use (they never put a 3PDT in their older stuff). It doesn't exhibit tone suck, but if the pedal loses power you will lose your signal.

It may be in the BBE literature as to what kind of bypass it is, because Joyo builds stuff for BBE and other companies. You can sometimes find the BBE equivalent of the Joyo pedal because the knob layout (given if it's a fuzz/trem/OD/etc.) will be the same. That was discovered when people noticed that the Breekish Flues pedals had the same layout as the BBE's.

8. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    All the Joyos will not function w/o power in bypass. I wonder how hard it would be to convert to true bypass?

9. 11 Gauge

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    The bypass circuitry tends to be near the switch, or in this case the ribbon cable that connects to the switch.

So it's a matter of pulling out the "extra" pieces and simply tapping into the actual input and output, and wiring them straight to the switch like that.

Since Joyo uses a ribbon cable with lead free solder, you will want to replace the footswitch with a "fresh" 3PDT.

There will probably be a little circuit tracing required, because the input jack is a "stereo" unit that disconnects the power when you pull the cord out. It basically disconnects the ground or negative from your power source.

There is also the issue of status LED switching, which is usually done by simply completing the path to ground. IOW, the LED "hot" is always hardwired - the switch just turns it on by connecting to ground.

There are multiple illustrated methods for wiring up a 3PDT switch. Luckily, some of the switches are now fairly cheap.

So IMO, making a Joyo TBP shouldn't be super hard if you do a little research first. It certainly should be easier than something like the Behringer Big Muff clone, which requires that you cut a circuit trace or something, IIRC.

10. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    Thanks .011

11. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2012
    Land of the Merlion
    I've been using my JOYO Ultimate Drive live for a couple of weeks now in our Church service and it's really good. :p Sound is really fat and response really well with how you pluck your strings. My only lil gripe is that the switch reminds me of those MXR that it doesn't feel like sturdy compared to when I press my Fulltone Fulldrive. I dunno, it just felt 'easy' to stomp, I miss the loud click. :D But overall, I highly recommend it.

I don't mind if it's true bypass or no since my treble does not get suck out badly compared to my old Russian Big Muff.

12. 11 Gauge

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    Yeah, that is the "issue" with the MXR/Joyo/Biyang/etc. stuff, because they all use the double pole/double throw switch with some other form of bypassing, so the heavy mechanical action to get 3 poles to swing in those Taiwan blues isn't needed.

That said, there is a newer 3PDT that has a much softer action (to help extend switch life), and the newer blues tend to not pop as bad (if you get them from a "good" source). My FAVORITE is a New Sensor double pole double throw that is nearly bulletproof (and has that nice and firm click), but since it isn't 3PDT you can't do true mechanical bypass and have a status LED.

...But the Millenium bypass is REALLY good, and lots of people like the neutral bypass that Visual Sound (and apparently Joyo) uses. Another possibility is to have buffered mechanical bypass, like with the Klon Centaur, Cornish pedals, or even the old Crowther Hot Cake.

The only time it ABSOLUTELY has to be true bypass is with an old transistorized design with low input impedance - so basically any old fuzz that is derived from a Fuzz Face, Tonebender, or something similar.

Voodoo Lab uses/used an optical trick to get by with a DPDT - one LED would be detected by a photocell, while the other would simply illuminate. The circuit basically has similar characteristics to mechanical switching with no loading when in bypass.

The newest pedals like the WHE stuff all use miniature relays to give true bypass, but so do the Digitech Hardwire pedals. So their switches are basically as "soft and silent" as the old buffered bypass scheme used by Boss/Ibanez/etc.

As long as it doesn't color things in an unpleasing way or wreck the impedance of an Old School fuzz, any of the bypass methods are fine by me. I'm also super mindful when setting up a pedalboard as to avoid any issues with the different bypass schemes. And - none of the Taiwan blues have the nice stiff snap that the old Carlings did.

13. valvestate

Jan 12, 2012
    Land of the Merlion
    Thanks a lot .011! Very informative, I'll have to note that for future reference. :D I guess these days, true bypass may not be that relevant after all as long as it will not suck out the tone... well for me.

Btw, what can you say about those soft switch like those Lovepedals? I assume they're True Bypass, right?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

14. 11 Gauge

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    Yes - I forgot to mention them. Cusack designed the relay switching for the Lovepedal designs that use the "nipple switch," but it looks like Sean has primarily reverted back to the old mechanical stomp. That is an odd tactic, since it seems like his goal is to go "semi-mass production," by having the Lovepedal line in MF, GC, and so on - just like Fulltone/Pigtronix/Johnny Come Lately are trying to do.

...Maybe Sean has Cusack on speed dial for when the orders really go nuts. :lol: People are so ga-ga for some of the LP stuff that I thought he had already hit that point.

I mean - Tripps KNEW he needed either relay switching or the equivalent when WHE pedals would be made in the numbers that being under the Dunlop umbrella would allow. If you just consider that Dunlop had the means to find/produce KNOBS for the WHE line with no setscrews to speed up the knob application process, something other than a mechanical true bypass switch had to be a given.

...The WHE Aqua Puss is almost as well known amongst guitarists as the Big Mac is by consumers as a whole.

I recall a discussion (not that I had) with Bjorn of BJFE/Mad Professor, and how he said he would LOVE to use some bypass scheme other than 100% mechanical true bypass, but it just turns away a good number of potential customers. He's smart enough to know when to use something different, and I guess he would go for something like relay switching or maybe Millenium bypass if it wouldn't hurt sales, but his hands are tied...

It's almost humorous that we've gotta have a buffer pedal for this, and true bypass for that...

The truth be told, the later 80's to the present Boss pedals have a really decent buffered bypass in them. The buffer transistors now have much better input impedances so that your sound isn't compromised. The only way they could actually improve that bypass method would (IMO) be to go to op amps instead of transistors, so that bypass would give 100% unity gain (jFET transistors only give you about 97% :eek:).

I guess that the bigger issue now is what happens when you lose power to your board. I also remember someone approaching me about his dilemma - he had gone almost exclusively to WHE pedals that he was doing a sort of "quasi-Bradshaw setup," with the pedals out of sight, and remote switching for them. What he basically needed was for the pedals to be ON all the time to be switched remotely. But every time his rig was powered down and then back up again, the pedals would default to bypass.

So everything has its pluses and minuses. Since you don't really get a choice with something that is mass produced, it kind of makes it a moot point unless you can get it rewired.

15. bigdaddyjay

bigdaddyjay TDPRI Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Texas
    So Joyo pedals don't have a true bypass..they have a different bypass...but hey, this has been real informative to me and I think I might purchase a few more for my arsenal. Should I run my boss blues driver in front to keep the joyo pedals from picking up any rf frequency?

16. valvestate

Jan 12, 2012
    Land of the Merlion
    RF? Mine does not pick up any frequencies at all. :grin:

17. bigdaddyjay

bigdaddyjay TDPRI Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Texas
    aww i was reading in another forum that another musician had problems with his pickup up rf frequency...i didn't have the problem when i test drove the vintage overdrive pedal.

18. valvestate

Jan 12, 2012
    Land of the Merlion
    Yeah, it is scaringly dead quite even on a loud live settings.. :p Totally worth it. Go buy them all if you can.

19. 11 Gauge

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    It's really odd that there would be such an issue with a modern produced pedal. It must have to do with their electronic bypassing method, and whether or not it picks up noise is going to depend on the RF in your area, and not that one particular pedal by Joyo is malfunctioning while another is not.

It was mentioned to put a buffered pedal in front, and that will probably kill the RF, if the Joyo bypass method is the culprit.

That is too bad, because the RF issue is easily rectified with just a resistor and small cap to ground on the input, and other companies have been doing that for years.

20. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    I'm the guy that has had minor issues with RF with the UD and the Trem. My space is pretty bad and I've had to let a few pedals go because of this. Putting a buffer in front didn't help. It only happens with the first pedal in the chain and it's not keeping me from running the trem into the UD. I like trem before drive, more amp-like that way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.