Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Joyo JF-16 "British Sound" vs Joyo JF-15 "California Sound"

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by FluffyDog6, Jun 22, 2016.

1. FluffyDog6

FluffyDog6 TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Raleigh NC
    Every example I have reviewed on YouTube all seems to demonstrate piercing high-gain tones.

Has anyone owned (or seen demonstrations of) either of these pedals that has used them in a less aggressive fashion?

2.jpg

I'm not sure which to try, but due to finances, I can't get both.

1.jpg

Looking for smooth, creamy overdrive sound from a single-coil guitar, yet not so much "screech."

2. midnight340

midnight340 Tele-Meister

Dec 27, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Try the American Sound. That should do you.

jvin248 likes this.

3. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    The british will do exactly what you want. The EQ has a wide range so you can dial back the harsh treble and the voice knob lets you dial up some creamy midrange gain.

4. Kojer

Kojer Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2015
    Manila, PH
    Stay away from the california. Its dark and muddy.

5. seratone

seratone TDPRI Member

May 16, 2011
    Toronto
    I had the British and American Joyo pedals AND their Tech 21 Counterparts... the Joyo pedals either don't have the cabinet sim or perhaps the ability to turn it off like the second generation Character series. The Joyo versions were close, but not as good as the Tech 21 versions - funny thing they weren't very good either... I recall this was a couple of years ago when I was taking a break from my Line 6 POD HD500. I eventually bought an Atomic AMplifire.

These little pedals are garbage - fun to tinker with - but if I don't own any of them now there's a reason

6. Ham and Eggs

Ham and Eggs Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2015
    Indianapolis
    +1 for the California, both have active eq so they are very adjustable. I used it for more mid-low gain and it worked great. The bass sound can be maintained and it is not overbearing on the high frequencies. Play with the voice knob on either if you choose to buy it. Good luck

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I have the Joyo AC Tone (the Vox emulator that's a copy of the Tech 21 Liverpool pedal) that I keep in my bag as a backup amp in case my amplifier blows up. This actually happened a couple of months ago so I used the pedal as a direct to PA amp simulator and it worked beautifully.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    +2 on the California. I have the Tech 21 version. It goes from very clean to very dirty and with the EQing, it has a huge number of tones.

9. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    This would be an important factor depending on how the OP wants to use the pedal. If it is going into an existing amp then you need the ability to disable the speaker simulation.

privatesalt likes this.

10. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    I agree. The Joyo pedal is a speaker/amp sim and cannot be disabled. It is most perfectly used into a PA or similar. Some have gotten good results going into an amp but it probably won't simulate the sound of the amp it's designed to do as well.

privatesalt likes this.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    BTW, the Tech 21 California didn't make the cut for rev 2 with the speaker sim disable button. There is a guy that can mod it though. I've considered it, but so far I'm pretty happy with it as is, although I only run it through a Fender 6L6 clean. FWIW.

12. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I own all 4 (my American died and I quickly replaced it...haha). To be honest, I didn't have a great use for them until recently when I got a portable recording device that I could use it for playing direct. (None of my amps currently have an FX loop, which is killing me because these really benefit from that).

I will say that while the California isn't my "favorite" of the 4, it is arguably the most distinctive. It's capable of fairly bassy MESA-esque tones of both the clean and overdriven variety. The American and AC Tone share a lot of similarities and could be tweaked to sound similar, but I think the California offers something different. I do enjoy them all - I think the British is actually the weakest at what it does, at least my particular unit.

Cliffyg62 and privatesalt like this.

13. boyatheart

boyatheart TDPRI Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Phuket
    Depending on how you use these Joyo pedals, it's possible for excellent results.
    In my case the American Sound that I have is the star of my pedalboard going into my amp (Quilter Toneblock 200)

I keep the gain on minimum and use the EQ to setup my stage sound then use the voice control to dial in anything from clean to crunch.

I also have a compressor, overdrive, boost and chorus before the Joyo and another boost and delay after it. So basically the American Sound is acting like an amp, being pushed by the pedals in front of it and providing a wide-ranging tonestack.

What I really want to know is how different these pedals sound from each other (esp. American vs British). I wonder if the character of these pedals is mostly in the gain control or in the Voice/EQ controls.

I didn't dig the direct tone going into the PA. Certainly didn't sound like a cab sim to me, but yeah it's scope of use is so big that depending on what you want from it, it can either be amazing or useless.

14. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    i have the american sound and the california sound. the american works nicer as a cleanish boost than the california, which likes to get nasty fairly quickly. the american is more useable for my needs and has been on my board for the last 6 months, the california is in the 'i must get round to selling' drawer.

15. Muris

Muris NEW MEMBER!

Feb 5, 2017
    Bosnia
    Hello folks...i have a questio for all of you ...does it any of you try to use in chain british and american sound

16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    They're not really meant to be used like that as they're amp emulation pedals, not regular overdrive/distortion stomps. However, I have run my Tech 21 Liverpool into the clean channel of my Mesa TA-15 (Vox voicing) and gotten some pretty decent results. I guess you would just have to experiment with the gain staging and EQ setting in each until it sounds good.

17. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    This JOYO Clean Glass sounds nice to me but then Shane makes anything sound great.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I picked up the American Sound (Fender sim) and like the guy above 'it's the star of my pedal board'. It goes into a clean amp. I feed it both humbuckers and single coils with a delay pedal.

Other reviews I've watched have indicated the AS is the best of the lot, but I only have tried the AS.

19. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Maybe not in the same league as the Atomic Amplifire but no where near the price either. You can get some great tones out of them into a PA or computer. They are amp sim pedals and the amp sim can't be turned off. That's why they are really good into a PA or computer but depending on the amp you put them into maybe not so great but I find them far from junk.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

20. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Was just about to ask if i should run right into a PA. You guys are good. Thanks. Maybe i won't sell my California after all. ...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.