Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Joyo American Sound - amazed by this pedal (npd)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Treeface, May 18, 2017.

1. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    The owners manual (see attachment) for the Joyo is not clear on this either. There is no switch, but it says that the "Voice" knob is used to control the amp simulation. I just got mine in the mail a few days ago and have not had a chance to turn it on yet to confirm.

Attached Files:

tele-bastard likes this.

2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Is the circuit using cmos 4049 chips like the old Snarling Dogs ?

3. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    Teleterr,

I am running out the door to an appointment in a couple minutes, but I did have time to pull off the bottom cover -- there's IC board mounted face-up with just the traces showing. I'll have to pull off the knobs and loosen up the nuts on the pots to get a good look at the top side of the IC board. I'll try to get to it when I get back home. I am curious too.

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Thanks!

5. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    I have also discovered that because of the high-impedance input, and with the relatively strong signal on the output side with the 1k-10k impedance, you can treat this (in terms of amplification) just like an ordinary preamp (well, for the most part).

For kicks, a while back I ordered one of the modular assembled micro amp units (based on analog Class AB 7297 chip) -- for the modest sum of $10. I paired it up with a 15vdc (2.5a) power supply. I connect output from pedal chain (very minimal in my case: a compressor, a tube preamp, the Joyo AS and an analog delay) right into the input of the TDA7297.. I thought for sure, it was going to 'fart out' or just sound horrible, but to my surprise, it actually sounds almost as good as a regular SS guitar amp. (The amp module only has a volume/level pot -- not tones, no EQ, etc).

So, the 'direct into a board or mixer' thing definitely applies. I was thinking more along with lines of a powered speaker -- just sticking a module amp unit (with power supply) in my favorite cabinet. I am still considering options and tweaking this idea. But, in terms of sound and power, it is quite 'do-able'.

Gotta run. G'Day all!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    pdcorlis likes this.

6. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    Teleterr,

Hey, as I was waiting in the doc's office, I decided to research this a bit on the phone. I have not taken my Joyo apart myself -- yet (I may still get to it today.. have to wait and see) -- but, I did find out the following:

The Joyos are the subject of much discussion on other forums as well:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=115988.0

1. The pics of the upper side of the JF-14 IC board show 2 ICs having 7 rows x 2 columns pinout. The 4049 you reference, I could only find those in an 8row x 2column package. I will make the bold assumption that these are NOT the 4049 CMOS chip (although they could be a newer updated relative).

2. For chris m. -- there is a discussion in that thread (on DIYStompBoxes, link above) about disabling the onboard cab. emulation function . It might be worth a look.

7. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    I finally had a chance to plug mine in and make a few measurements. Looks like the frequency cuts off around 4 kHz and drops pretty hard (30 dB per octave)...see attached screen shot showing settings and frequency response.

IMG_2843.JPG

oyobass and PhredE like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.