Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Joyo American Sound - amazed by this pedal (npd)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Treeface, May 18, 2017.

1. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

People smarter than me that have looked at the pedal's design say it is a preamp no ifs ands or buts... it's not an OD pedal. I think that's why it excels when used straight into a PA and used in the effects loop return.

I'm no expert, all I know is it's about the best $30 you can spend in your signal chain. I'm tempted to buy the other amp voicing in the series too.

xafinity, Nickadermis and Grux like this.

2. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    That a ridiculous and naive opinion of these pedals. There's no reason you can't use these joyo amp sims as ODs. They have a huge range of tonal flexibility with the TMB and voice knobs. It's easy to get a good OD tone out of them.

Nickadermis likes this.

3. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

I'm sure you are right - or maybe we are both right in a way. Since the Joyo pedals are clones of the Tech21 sansamp series let's see what Tech21 says about these pedals:

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/characterseries.html

To your point I whole heartedly agree you can get glorious overdriven sounds out of them - just like an overdriven amp. Call them preamps or pedals they get the job done.

I didn't mean to undersell their capability!

Cheers!

Nickadermis likes this.

4. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    "Since the Joyo pedals are clones of the Tech21"
    Why do you believe that to be true?
    Because it keeps getting repeated on the internet?
    Maybe it is true but Ive never seen any proof.

5. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

What I've read on numerous internet posts from sites like The Gear Page, Strat-Talk, Harmony Central, and even posts here on TDPRI - the Joyo is generally thought of as some sort of clone (not 100%) of the first version of the Blonde - without the speaker emulation. But as you point out - that's a consensus opinion. I sure don't have the electronics skill to prove or disprove so please feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017

6. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    That ties into the question I have. Has anyone ever compared the Tech21 Blonde to the Joyo american sound?

I found the current version of the Blonde on Craigslist for cheep and it sounds really good in front of my Champ. I want/wanted a really good tweed bandmaster emulation - that all mids honk type sound. That said, it doesnt seem as useful on my Princeton - have been wondering abut the American Sound.

Mike

7. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

I found this - hope it helps:

8. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    I find mine useful as a preamp/sim for recording. Also fine for using at home into a practice amp. But live, at volume into my stage amps...not so good. Just my experience so far...

9. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Nice - tanks!

10. tooloud

tooloud Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2009
    Richmond, TX
    I have the ACtone one it sounds pretty good keep it in my gig tote in case my amp goes out.

11. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    The pedal landed. Just a quick test in front of my 5E3 with out more than exploratory knob turnings I can say I like it. I of course need to read and understand the voice knob to understand what it's range is supposed to emulate. Turned left scopes mids quit obviously, BF direction I presume. When I get more time to explore I will...

EDIT: The manual is sparse at best and offers no clue as to what voice the range actually is.

EDIT,EDIT: Obviously a Mids scope/boost. I tried a cocked WAH in my Tele along with the mids boosted. Very Messa

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Nickadermis likes this.

12. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    Yeah, mine essentially says, "plug in,,,turn up loud,,,go fast now!"

13. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I think mine says " Neil Young Crazy Horse turn right "

igor5, cactusrob and Ex-riverman like this.

14. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    It really does what I have use a few pedals stacked to do.
    My fav balls out is a Barber LTD SR in front of a Zen Clone I have had for forever. I am all about the grind mid boost brings to the table when in rowdy mode. Time to plug the pine 48 Proto snarlcaster with the Pre-B1 into some Celestions I am thinking. ;)

15. xafinity

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10

I should not have made it sound so personal. I'm certainly no expert! (only in my imagination)

pdcorlis likes this.

16. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    I'd like to be able to jam with some if folks and pick up some tone tips ! (PS, I'm already stocked up on cargo shorts)

Nickadermis and xafinity like this.

17. xafinity

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    I just scored a new one on ebay for 20 bucks. So far its almost as much fun as a 60s hitchhiker:D
    It will take me a few more sessions to figure the best use for it with my junk. (the joyo, not the hitchhiker)

18. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

No problem on this end - like I said, my "knowledge" is all second hand.

19. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2003
    Really, what more is there to life!

cactusrob likes this.

20. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Subtleties... So I have read.:cool:

oyobass likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.