Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Joyo American Sound - amazed by this pedal (npd)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Treeface, May 18, 2017.

1. Treeface

Treeface Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    In the swamp. . .
    Let me preface this by saying that I don't usually have a "honeymoon period" with gear. In fact, it's the opposite. It takes me time to learn how to dial in and bond with each piece of gear I get, whether guitar, pedal, or amp. I see a lot of posts around here that start "NPD this is the perfect drive pedal, it's pushing everything else of my board, I'm in love with it," and six months later it's on the classifieds, and that's just not my experience. When I buy new gear it goes to the bottom of the heap and it has to earn its way up.

With that out of the way, I just got a Joyo American Sound, and it's the perfect drive pedal, it's pushing everything off my board, and I'm in love with it. I didn't really "need" this pedal but I saw it offered for $18 new on ebay, which is an absurd price even for a Joyo pedal. I figured what the heck, it gets good reviews and it's an extremely cheap grab-and-go box in case of emergency.

It arrived today and - once I got the switch to actuate - I was getting terrific sounds immediately. This never happens to me; like I said, it usually takes time to learn how to use any new gear. Specifically with pedals, I have to do a lot of knob turning, trial and error, before I'm satisfied. But the American Sound gave me an incredibly satisfying crunch, a smooth overdrive, and of course the clean sparkle, just with a twist or two of the knobs. It boggles my mind that this thing was $18 but this is not a "good for the money" kind of pedal. If this was a $100 pedal I wouldn't have blinked an eye about taking it home. Of course, for $100 I would've expected the switch to work without fidgeting, and I suppose the question is build quality and whether it holds up in day to day use. But in terms of sound I am completely blown away.

(Feel free to bump this thread in six months when I have it up for sale in the classifieds o_O)

2. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    Ha ha ha. Sounds exactly like how I typically operate with new gear.

That said, I'm checking this pedal out tomorrow. Thank you for the review; I'm in need.

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Other threads here seem to show this particular pedal holds it's own long after the honeymoon period.

Search here and look at the threads with higher post counts first.

4. stratman54

stratman54 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2016
    US
    Got one, love it, keeping it, never gonna sell it.

It blows away all the fender models in my Line6 HD500X.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I added one to my board about two months ago, and it's staying too. It's had me playing my Strat again in addition to the Tele.

The first video convinced me (for those that don't have it yet), the second gives a few setting suggestions (for those of us who have).

... Maybe we should post our favorite settings?

xafinity, richiek65 and jackinjax like this.

6. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    It's a great amp substitute pedal straight into desks but it also holds its own - at least at low volumes - direct into my DRRI and it has a great sweep and variety for a single unit. It is also as cheap as chips. for all those reasons especially the final one, I give it 10 out of 10.

7. Treeface

Treeface Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    In the swamp. . .
    That second video is great - this pedal really shines with the voice dial at 3, 4, 5 o'clock. But it is LOUD, even with the level turned down.

8. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    . I just received one last weekend I picked up a little Panama Champy clone amp that was just a little sweeter sounding than I figured it would be and the Joyo American Sound in front of it is just a blast. The EQ knobs really let you dial in just about anything you can think of without turning the amp up loud enough to rattle the windows. And when you do dime the amp it gets a little naughty

And the voice knob goes from stanky to raunchy ......

9. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    Can also be used straight into PA for gigs.

jvin248 and WaylonFan76 like this.

10. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

If your amp has an effects loop plugging guitar>Joyo straight into the return keeps it from being colored by the amps preamp circuitry. It really shines there...

jvin248 and Staypuft1652 like this.

11. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2014
    Uruguay
    I've been thinking of purchasing this pedal in order to use it with a solid-state amp. The goal is to get some kind of "clean tube" sound - not distortion or overdrive. Will this pedal do the trick? Thanks.

12. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    It'll do something. And you'll either like it or not. It adds an amp-like flavor for sure. I used one like that for a while, but it crapped out on me.

They're cheap enough to try. If you like it and start depending on it, you might look into the Tech 21 Blonde on which it is based. And I'm still tempted by their Blonde Deluxe (with presets!)

Marcelo, I've been on your thread about adding tube flavor to your solid state amp. The american sound is a great and affordable jumping off place. Sorry I didn't mention it in your other thread.

Staypuft1652 and Marcelo R like this.

13. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2014
    Uruguay
    Thank you very much for your kind answer. Best regards.

14. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Now i want to get one to stick in the return of my blue traynor...

15. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    Mine is in its way. $18 on eBay, can't beat it. I think I'll keep it in my bag in case of an amp issue.

pdcorlis likes this.

16. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    I wouldn't use it as something to stomp on at a gig - they are not well made enough.
    The first one I got had a duff switch - many reports elsewhere of this issue.
    I certainly wouldn't buy one used because of this.

rich815 likes this.

17. gpasq

gpasq Friend of Leo's

Oct 15, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    I have the vox version and I'm running it into the return of a katana 100. Fantastic setup!

pdcorlis likes this.

18. Treeface

Treeface Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    In the swamp. . .

After a couple weeks with it I still love the American Sound but only through the strat. Through the strat it is a 10/10, through my teles it is maybe a 6/10. Luckily I plugged it into my strat first or my initial reaction would have been "eh, pretty ok I guess."

19. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I first used it straight into the PA at a very small gig on the Queen's Diamond Jubilee weekend (June 2012), I bought it and the AC Tone a few months earlier and have used one or the other every week since then. We usually rehearse straight into the PA so it or the AC Tone sits on my pedal board all the time. Lots of use with no issues to date.

pdcorlis likes this.

20. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    USA
    after reading this thread I bit the bullet.
    Pedal arrived today, sounds great!
    Such a Deal
    running it in front of my Super Champ X2 clean channel

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.