Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Journeyman Finish Experts

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mondoslug, May 15, 2018.

1. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Tele-Meister

Aug 12, 2007
    Nashville
    So..."Nitrocellulose Laquer", are we saying there's a layer of something else underneath the Laquer finish on these also?

TIA!

2. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    I don't know the answer to that but I will say its my favourite finish

I have 3 custom shops, strat, tele, jazz bass as well as 2 thin skin relics - there just seems to be more care taken with the journeymans

3. zhyla

zhyla TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Northern Hemisphere
    No, it’s a lacquer made of nitrocellulose dissolved in a solvent.

4. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    What they do is melt nitro into a cellulose base and mix in four parts mojo, a strand of Keef's hair, a little DNA from Clapton's toe nails and some dandruff from Eddie V.
    Mix it all up and you get a yummy finish...

2blue2 likes this.

5. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    I'm not sure I understand the question.
    There doesn't have to be anything underneath the nitro lacquer.... but there usually is. It is cheaper, faster and easier to seal the wood with something besides the lacquer. I use shellac. Without sealer the nitro keeps soaking into the wood.
    There are many types of coloring agents that can go under the lacquer, as well as ones that can be mixed with the lacquer. You can stain the bare wood before sealing, stain after sealing, mix transparent dyes in the sealer, add opaque pigments or transparent dyes with the lacquer.
    Cellulose, for example cotton, is treated with nitric acid to make the basic ingredient of nitrocellulose lacquer. Then the chemists mix in God-knows-what-else to reduce cracking and yellowing. Finally it is thinned with a blend of nasty solvents.

2blue2 and dkmw like this.

6. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    That's a great, and funny, description for laymen. Let's hear it for hydrocarbons! (the nasty solvents)

I worked on the applications side of resins technology for a long time. I always told people I knew just enough about the chemistry to get myself in trouble.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread....

7. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Tele-Meister

Aug 12, 2007
    Nashville
    Rewriting....like Poly underneath, as is claimed by several about some other "Nitro" models.

8. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Maybe a layer of sanding sealer first.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.