Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Jonny Lang "Tribute" Tele (partscaster)

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by ruger9, Aug 27, 2017.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    I've always loved Lang's all-black tele, and wanted to build one like it. Short of ordering a custome body and neck from Warmoth ($$$$), it was impossible, because a flame maple trans black tele body is hard to find, but then a black NECK is almost impossible to find.

Then this came up in my reverb feed today, and I jumped on it. It's not a thinline, but it's the closest I have found while trolling ebay and reverb for years.... Flame maple over Swamp Ash. Routed for 2 HBs. It does require a control plate, so it's not back-routed like Jonny's, but it will still look cool. The only downside is the pickguard holes... I'll have to figure out a way to hide those, because I'm not going to use a pickguard, that's kinda' the whole point...

body.jpg

So now, I just need a neck... I've got it narrowed down to 2:

one is actually ALL black, like Jonny's... but it's from Hong Kong, so not sure how good it'll be... I've read mixed reviews... it's a 9.5" radius tho, and jumbo frets. I'll have to steel wool the back down to a satin finish, but that's no big deal. Just worried about the fretwork mostly.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=321798257555

The 2nd one is a Kmise neck, again mixed reviews, it's rosewood (which is close enough to black, lol) over maple, sating finish on the back... 12" radius, medium jumbo frets. And Amazon, so it would be easy to return if necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015DZA0OW/?tag=tdpri-20

What do you guys think? I realize both necks might require a bit of fitting, and maybe even a little fret end dressing, both of which I'm fine with. Both radii are fine, my current teles are both 9.5", but I have always wanted to try a 12"... I doubt there's a ton of difference (unlike the FMT tele I recently tried- 16" radius... did NOT like that neck).

xland and ftbtx like this.

2. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Well, after a bunch of research, I went with a Squier John 5 neck: rosewood, black headstock.

I have also ordered everything else I need to put this guitar together. Hardware scheme will be chrome and black chrome.

I have a set of PRS DGT (David Grissom) humbuckers to put in it to start (they are really good PAFs), but will be ordering a set of Creamery Baby 71s as soon as finances allow...

And, eventually, I will probably try what Lang uses- a 500XL/500L set.

It's become a Jonny Lang "inspired" tele... no way to get a black-stained birdseye maple neck with spending big bucks. But I think it's gonna' be cool. My 1st partscaster!

voodoostation likes this.

3. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Alright, for anyone still interested, LOL, the DGTs were nice, but I'm looking for a little more heat, the DGTs didn't sound as ballsy in the tele as they did in the PRS, so back in the PRS they go.

I put an Ibanez AT-1 in the bridge (which isn't a shredder pickup, it's really just a PAF on steroids), and an EJ Custom in the neck... which was a bit too clean, so I'm exchanging it for an EJ Custom BRIDGE to put in the neck to better balance out the AT-1.

At that point, she'll be done, except for some touch-up work... I'm going to drop-fill the old pickguard screw holes with black-tinted poly to hide them better (I tried black crayon in the holes, it didn't work that great... works great on door and window moldings tho LOL! (to hide the nails holes)

Pics when I get the new neck pickup installed...

4. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia
    I was thinking you could stick some black-headed screws in the holes.

5. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Hmm... that might be interesting, counter-sink them a little so they're flat... maybe I'll try that before doing drop fills... they are a PITA, all the sanding and polishing....

6. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia
    Another thought on using screws would be that you could possibly blend them in some using a silver sharpie.

ruger9 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.