Johnson Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Zepfan, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Couple months ago I got a Johnson By AXL Strat from a Pawnshop along with another guitar I really wanted. This guitar was marked for 40 bucks and they threw it in on the deal I was working for a DeArmond Bluesbird that they wouldn't move on the price of.

I was needing a Strat to put a set of pickups in that I got from TDPRI Member Deneb, so I took the deal.

It had Johnson Pickups by EMG Select and they're good, but I'll put them in another project I'm working on. The Tremolo block was puny, so I got a steel block trem from GFS. After a good clean up of the neck and body, I installed a Tusq Nut.

The body is Black and I wanted to keep it that way to go with the Black pickguard and Orange pickup covers and knobs, but the body had too many deep scratches to deal with. I have a can of nice Blue paint, so it will get some blue paint on the body. Pickguard and plastics will remain the same.

I put the 3 pickups in the new Black pickguard. I wired them to 3 mini toggles. The neck and bridge pickups go to a volume and tone to jack while the middle goes to a volume only and to jack. T he mini toggles will give me series/parallel option for the middle pickup paired with another pickup and I can choose bridge/neck or all 3 pickups. Gives me about 10 choices of pickup options.

Attached Files:

Deneb, stinkey, richa and 3 others like this.
  2. Zepfan

[​IMG]This is the color I'm going to use with the Black guard and Orange plastics. Don't have any Black on hand.

Deneb likes this.
  3. Zepfan

I may put a silver base coat on first to lighten it up a bit.

Deneb likes this.
  4. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Ok, ya got my attention with @Deneb’s pickups. You’ve got a set of those killer rail pickups like the ones I have, right or did you get a set of the ones he made with a neodymium pole under each string?

Deneb likes this.
  5. Zepfan

I got the steel poles with Neodymium buttons underneath and they are set at different strengths for each string. They were the first ones he was working on.

Attached Files:

Deneb, BB and awasson like this.
  6. awasson

I thought that’s what they were. Those are going to sound great! Do you know if Vlad was using 500k controls or 250k. I believe he used 500k with the ones he sent me. They’re going back in my black Strat. Probably this weekend. I think I’ll make new covers in black with a black guard.

Deneb and Zepfan like this.
  7. Zepfan

He told me that he used 500k pots and something that was close to a .022 cap.

Deneb and awasson like this.
  8. Zepfan

I wonder if Vladimir made any of those Tele pickups yet? I haven't talked to him for awhile and he doesn't seem to be onsite much.

9. awasson

I haven't talked to Vlad for a while either. I had a spell of bad health last fall and I'm just getting back on my feet now so I lost touch with him. I just went to his website and it's looking good: https://www.deneb-tone.com/

Deneb likes this.
  10. Zepfan

Glad your doing better now.

I haven't been able to work on this or my Partscaster for a couple days. It always happens like that. You start a thread about your build or mod and evrything else needs a fix or everyone else wants you to do something.;)

Deneb likes this.
  11. awasson

I know that all to well. I got on a pedal building kick, got myself organized to put a whack of pedals together and then all of that got sidelined for about 5 months. Life gets busy I guess.

Deneb and Zepfan like this.
  12. Zepfan

Been stripping the paint off for a couple days now, one more day and it'll be time to get out the sander, sanding board and sandpaper.

Deneb and awasson like this.
  13. Deneb

Deneb Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Hi guys!
    How are you?
    Zep, how is the progress of the upgrade Johnson Strat?

Zepfan and awasson like this.
  14. awasson

Nice to see a post from you Vlad. I hope all is well.

15. Zepfan

Hey Vlad, good to hear from you. The progress is slow due to trying to squeeze in a few things in between dealing with my In Laws Estate, Their house(which will be ours soon), getting that house painted and new carpet, moving in, fixing things on my house and putting it on the market. Whew, made me tired just talking about it.:rolleyes:

The body is ready for sanding, pickguard is loaded and wired and neck is ready. So sanding, painting, clear coat and assembly is all that remains.

Deneb likes this.
  16. Zepfan

So Vlad, What pickups are you working on now? Did you ever get any Tele or P90 style pickups going?

17. Zepfan

18. awasson

19. Deneb

Hi Paul!
    Now I am not working on pickups. I took a break for rest, I was a little tired.
    But, when I rest, we will do Tele and P90 pickups.
    Also with me interrupted the lease of space for the workshop. Therefore, I will look for a new place!
    Thank you for linking to my thread. I was touched! It is very pleasantly for me!

Zepfan likes this.
  20. Deneb

Thank you guys for your support!

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.