Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Johnny Hiland Hot Licks Video Free on YouTube?!?!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by John O'Mary, Dec 18, 2012.

1. John O'Mary

John O'Mary TDPRI Member

2. John O'Mary

John O'Mary TDPRI Member

3. John O'Mary

John O'Mary TDPRI Member

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Lord, i wish J.H. would go back to playing a tele 2-4-7!

6. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Tele-Afflicted

How does one download a video from you tube? I had no idea that was possible.

7. John O'Mary

John O'Mary TDPRI Member

Well there used to be a way to do it...but it appears the new YouTube format has put a stop to that as well. Guess I'll have to wait until someone smarter than me comes up with a new program to download videos from the new site...enjoy them while they last I guess! lol

8. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

i own both they are great, i still cant play like them, but very entertaining,good luck

9. drjordan

drjordan Tele-Meister

www.icyvideo.com

10. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

If you're on a mac, you can use iLivid and just paste the URL into the download bar.

11. Lone Picker

Lone Picker TDPRI Member

I used a program called YouTube Downloader. It also lets you change the format.

12. TexasHeartRush

TexasHeartRush Tele-Meister

Or you could just buy the videos and support the artist...or in this case Hal Leonard.

YouTube snippets are useful to gain a sense of what to expect, but why not buy the videos and start building your library? You get more mileage from them in the long run. Some videos aren't available anywhere but YouTube, but these instructional video are. I really appreciate my video library plus the TrueFire collection I have.

13. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

Sorry, Texas Heart, you are right and I'm not advocating stealing copyrighted material - ever.

14. TexasHeartRush

TexasHeartRush Tele-Meister

Of course. It's all good. No judgment in the least. Some artists give their stuff away, some not. I just like the idea of circulating money honestly for anything I gain from. The more people it touches, the better. Some of these artists are acquaintances and I can tell you they are not 'rich' by any stretch. Some struggle and take whatever work they can find. These supplemental sources of income help. Cheers and blessings!

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe they're like Mel Tillis's girlfriend "they just don't care." The videos have been up several days, you'd think they'd pull 'em if they were concerned.

16. John O'Mary

John O'Mary TDPRI Member

I think Hiland is probably making most of his income off session work at the present time. Like I said, though, I couldn't believe they hadn't been pulled down already. They have to know they're up. Maybe the exposure is worth more to him than the money he would get off the video. After all, if the deal is anything like a record deal he probably doesn't get much from it anyway!!!

17. robt57

robt57 Doctor of Teleocity

Seeing that gold Tele in his hands is like having home made Thanksgiving Dinner to me. ;)

18. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

so so true!!! i keep telling him he should go back to teles. his response? "it will never happen".

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Doctor of Teleocity

Realistically, the Hiland videos are not going to be worth a whole lot to most of the people who will see them on youtube. A very small number of people would actually be able to gain much from studying them. After looking at them, there is a lot of work in all three of them. A treasure for someone who can apply it, just taking up space for most. I think you might be right about the exposure, most people won't know how to save them, and might want to buy them after seeing them, the ones who do know how to save them aren't going to buy anything anyway.

20. gwr

gwr Tele-Meister

I had the pleasure of playing that tele!!.J H now longer has it with him and sold it to a local (to me) music store owner with the premise that he hold on to it for him and someday he would buy it back.I tried to buy it but he wants too much for it and I think that's how he intends to keep it.

21. John O'Mary

John O'Mary TDPRI Member

He actually breaks it down pretty well in my opinion. My background is in chicken pickin' so the majority of stuff on the videos I already was using. I was actually disappointed that he didn't show more "licks." There are a few good licks in there but the majority of it is basic chicken pickin' stuff i.e. rhythm and double stops. What I use them for is the jams he does on the video. That is where the good stuff is. And being able to watch his hand position during those licks makes it WAY easier to transcribe than it used to be when I had his CD with the Don Kelley band and I had to rewind and rewind and rewind and rewind AND REWIND until I finally got it close! lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.