Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

John Pizzarelli

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by boneyguy, Apr 26, 2013.

1. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    Me and my gal are going to see John this Sunday in concert (with his band I think). My birthday present. I'm excited to see him. He's been a fave for a few years now.

I just wanted to share this news with the folks in this particular part of the forum because there is a greater likelihood of people actually knowing who he is here . And just so my concert going announcement fits in with the subject matter of this forum.....how about his technique eh? Got any tabs of his stuff? Maybe you could give me some tips on how to play like him. Any theory on how he got so good. :D

Oh and get this!! He's being brought here by the Victoria Jazz Society. The VJS felt they couldn't afford the fee to bring the band here so the president of the society kicked in the extra $2000 out of his own pocket. Classy move Mr. President.

And some nice moments with John and his pops. Also around the 4min mark there's some observations that should answer the often asked question around here "How do I learn to play jazz". Listen to how the Pizzarellis learned how to play....old school.

2. lewis

lewis Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Colorado
    An amazing guitar player.

3. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's

i had one of his cds, eventually got stolen...i believe it was just a trio band...him a drummer and pianist....that guy is incredible...i need to get another one now

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    Thanks for that post..
    The shanghai jazz clip was great.
    What a great father son relationship...

Enjoy the concert.

6. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

Enjoy it Boney. One of the few who does classic Jazz guitar really well.

7. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    Thanks guys. I will enjoy myself for sure.

8. russintexas

russintexas TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Oh, and there was a guitar player magazine article around 3 years ago on playing "shout choruses" like pizzi does.

9. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Mar 4, 2009
    Singapore
    Man I would not be able to get a morsel of food in my mouth at that restaurant!

I have John's Duke Ellington tribute. Great stuff for a Saturday afternoon drive.

As for playing, can't help you there.....

10. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    Cool!
    Great singer, great player, great all-around musician.

11. Vladimir

Vladimir Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Saw him last year, great show! I think he plays a 7-string, just like his dad.

12. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

May 31, 2011
    Nashville TN
    John is a great player & singer, and an approachable "nice guy", at least in my one experience. I did a gig some years ago where he was the "name act", a benefit in NJ. I was playing with a "Broadway" revue act. He let me play his Benedetto 7-string, in some down time. It had tape wound strings on it. Full, lively sound, fun to play. He did not get that axe for free; it cost him some big pile of $$$$$.

John has a unique style, and I would love to get a chance to see him perform some time, from the audience or listener's perspective.

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I can't even imagine what's going through his head when he plays.
    I'd have more luck trying to become an astronaut.

14. Mjark

Mjark Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    That'll be a great show.

15. That's how Bucky strings it up, too. LaBellas, I think.

16. JazzDreams

JazzDreams Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2012
    Valley Forge PA
    I always loved John Pizarelli- ever since I heard the title from "I'm Hip (Don't Tell My Father)"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.