Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

John Mayer....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by backporchmusic, May 9, 2013.

1. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Tele-Afflicted

Was running through an AMS catalog today and I noticed that the John Mayer strat was $1600. That's only $100 less than the SRV or the Yngwie model.

I'm neither a fan nor a hater of Mayer, and have heard that he is a really good player. Saw him on Crossroads with Keith Urban, and he played well but it didn't really speak to me.

But that's not what I am curious about. From my experience, the fans of his that I have met are all women or girls (who don't play music), who like his songs and likely think he's cute. I've never met a real guitar player who has sung his praises.

So who is the target audience for this guitar? Is there a whole bunch of well-heeled guitar slingers who want his signature model? He has a pricey Martin sig model too.

I'm just scratching my head here. Like the Susanna Hoffs Ric. Huh?

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

In before the lock, I like John Mayer and I'm a guy

A guy who plays a strat

Mine has never been in the freezer though

I believe he was on herbie hancocks DVD possibilities and I liked that section of the DVD.

3. backporchmusic

Freezer?

And I tried to make clear that I'm not bashing the guy. But I can think of several players (Paisley, even Urban) who don't yet have a model but are known for playing fenders (teles). We'll likely never know if they turned down the opportunity though.

I'm just always amazed when there is a huge market for an item that I don't see coming.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

I have no idea what his fan base is. I have several of his records, but personally, it's just some mindless pop. The kind of stuff you hear and don't even realize there is a guitar in it at all. Driving music, maybe?

6. backporchmusic

I know he has a 'guitar' record out, but I never hear that stuff on the radio.

7. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

He is a better guitar player than singer. Some of his songs speak to me.

8. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Tele-Afflicted

I think it's mroe about their fan-base and what they can afford to spend their disposable income on. John Mayer was getting big when I was in college, and now my contemporaries are reaching the age where they can afford to buy a John Mayer custom Strat

9. Lawson

Lawson Tele-Meister

He makes alot of different stuff, really, I can't really place him considering he plays jumpy feelgood rock, blues, analoge smooth pop and the songs that are obviously meant for the more feminine ones, i.e girls. I dig the bluesy side of Mayer, but I admit that I cringe by the sticky songs.

As a guitarplayer, he do surprise you now and then if you follow some videos. He's got his own typical twists, and allthough it's a bit basic and clean notes-wise, I must say his sound is unique.

One of the best moments I have seen from him personally is spiced up version of "Vultures"

I think any musician in their right mind will dig this:

10. Chris Browne

Chris Browne Tele-Holic

I suppose the cost of a signature model guitar could be somehow related to the artistic merit of the artist in question. Like, 1 Hendrix is worth .75 George Harrisons. That would be a fun exercise.

11. backporchmusic

Now that's a solid answer.

12. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

I have tickets to his show in June and I am a dude. Will be the 2nd time I see him. He talks way too much in concert and thinks he is a philosophy scholar, but his playing is top notch.

13. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I'm a big fan of JM blues and rock slanted music. He is a great guitar player. The pop stuff is pop stuff, it doesn't affect how I respond to the songs I like.

As for signature models I wonder what the new sales volume really is of any artist model in comparison to non-sig models. My guess is the actual number sold is a small percentage and that is part of the price. They build a few, throw them out there, and if they sell more are made.

But then what do I know, my three guitars are: James Burton MIM Telecaster, Eric Johnson Stratocaster, Carlos Santana PRS SE :rolleyes:

14. backporchmusic

Well, if you didn't already have the Eric Johnson, you might be the target audience!

15. waparker4

He put his custom shop relic strat in the freezer cause he didn't like it, took it out and loved it

16. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I don't care much for his songwriting and singing, but his blues playing sound pretty good to me. He does some nice stuff when he is "worrying" in the blues sense. There's a clip where he gives a short introduction to various blues guitar styles which much deeper than so many other imitations of the greats.

17. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

I've heard that the guitar has some nice pickups.:rolleyes:

18. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

I'm a guy and i like some of his stuff. look around on youtube and you'll find some pretty good jam out stuff he does at concerts.

One that I was listening to just yesterday...

19. Willie D

Willie D Friend of Leo's

I really enjoy his John Mayer Trio CD "TRY." The dude can play.

20. Lawson

Lawson Tele-Meister

False! He did put it in the freezer, but when he took it out nothing changed for him, and he later found out that it actually was the wiring that was wasn't properly connected, fixed that, and the beef was back in the sound.

21. waparker4

Oh yeah, you're right. That's dumb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.